Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help on a shotgun for 3 gun

donnyglock

I have been doing alot of reading on the subject. The more I read the more I'm not sure.... I shoot USPSA and Idpa and am looking at 3 gun. I have an AR but its the shotgun thats got me scratching my head. I have been looking at the Mossberg 930 or 930 spx,Remington 1100 tac 4 or the fn mrk 1. I need your guys thoughts on these. I would not be shooting open. Also I would only be shooting at most two matches a month. Any help here would be great.

Thanks in advance gents

I have bought 5 benelli M1's with 24 barrels over the past 3-4 months for under $700 each. One SBE was only $575. Add a welded lifter and a Nordic tube and your at the price of a new SLP only the Benelli will run better;)

Edited by jtischauser

No one mentioned what I think is Very Important. Semi auto shotguns are Very picky about what cycles the action properly, just like pistols. Before I bought anything I would check to see what is the minimum load it will cycle properly - website or call manufacturer. Some work well with low brass target loads, some,like the M2 Benelli, need a minimum of 1 oz shot; others, the Winchester Super X2 for example, barely operate with 1 1/8 oz & 3 drams of powder. There is considerable difference in ammo price, availability, recoil and ability to get back on target fast. You are also going to want to be able and comfortable shooting 10 to 30 or so of these loads in a row on a stage.

I would seriously consider looking online for a used shotgun. There are many nice, lightly used available at approx. 60% of the original price. I know a gunsmith who buys these, tweaks them for three gun and sells them as new, they are that nice. Check Enos Classifieds, USPSA website, Gun Broker, Guns America and ???

Best of luck and keep your powder dry,

B.

I think I am going to go with the Remington 1100 tac 4.

Myself and 5 other long time 3 gunners in our little shooting group all stated with Rem 1100's and we all switched to the M2 due to reliability, lack of with the Rem and excellent with the Benelli.

Do yourself a favor, buy a Benelli. It may cost more in the beginning but it will be more reliable, MUCH less maintenance and if 3-gun is not for you it will retain far more value than an 1100.

Edited by TMC

It is really hard to beat the Winchester SX2/3 or FN SLP shotguns. Well under a your $1000 limit and you don't need to send them off to tune them before you run them.

They simply need a mag tube and a little dremeling on the loading port and they are ready to rock.

Thanks guys. I will reconsider my choice. I will keep you posted. One question. Do you have to do any mods to the fn,benelli or winchester for ease of loading? Like you do to the remington

No mods like installing an EZ loader. I find the forearm on the FN/Winchester is a little long and obstructs the loading port a little. Cutting or sanding it down is very easy. Also it always helps to dremel all the sharp edges on the loading ports regardless of the gun, just to remove the sharp edges.

Ran a 1100CM for 6 years, good for 3 years then it started having issues. Bought a Salient Benelli M2 with the comfort tech stock, should of bought it years ago. Easy to clean, easy to load, easy to shoot.

Not really. Lot's of 26" guns out there too.

I prefer to run the longest mag tube so that at most three guns you get more options for loading after the buzzer. For instance, depending on the match, with a 10 or 12 round tube, I can start with 9 in the gun but load to max capacity if it benefits me to do so.

Edited by smokshwn

Give Benny Hill a call. He was very very helpful when I went thru the decision process on my 3 gun shotgun. He has been doing this for a long while and can answer many questions ie barrel legnth, tube legnth, mods, etc

Bets

I run a Saiga 12 so I don't have a dog in this hunt but do have a question, I see guys with a mag tube sticking out beyond the barrel, in my mind if it was me would the shooter not want to have the barrel the same lenght as his tube? Or the tube shorter? Just asking a question. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask if so I appologize.

Still not having a dog in the hunt, it depends on what division you want to shoot. You can't go wrong with a Mossberg or Rem pump, of the two I like the Mossberg better. Semi I think Mossberg makes a really good on I'd look at that. To be honest I have seen so many 1100 fail and when they do a lot of times they have a live round stuck inside just my observation.

I have almost never seen people have trouble with Benellie Shotguns they run great. Here is a suggestion, go to a few 3 gun matches just to watch, and if there is a stage that has a lot of shotguns hang out there and ask questions people like to talk about their guns of course get permission from the range master or match director. Good luck with what ever you choose.