Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ video

Kyle O

outerlimits posted his, so I was inspired. It was at a local 3 gun match from a couple of months back.

My holster actually cracked on the way over to that stage when I sat down in my truck to drive over, and I "tried" to fix it with some tape before the run. It really is a disgusting/dirty feeling. I'm thankful that no one got hurt.

Not sure what you could learn from it, but all my holsters now have a "firm" setting on the retention.

Sorry Kyle but I can't make up my mind which infraction I would have DQ'ed you for. I saw the loaded handgun hit the ground but the way you handled the shotgun at the very least we would have had a very loud converstation about attitude and safe gun handling over that shotgun.

Sorry Kyle but I can't make up my mind which infraction I would have DQ'ed you for. I saw the loaded handgun hit the ground but the way you handled the shotgun at the very least we would have had a very loud converstation about attitude and safe gun handling over that shotgun.

Shotgun was bone dry, locked back, and on safe, plus it was the proper dump bucket, no "safe gun handling" issue in anyone's mind.

My attitude was one of disgust, but I immediately turned to everyone, apoligized, and had made up my mind that I was gonna stay, and help score, tape, and breakdown, I didn't point any fingers, and had cooled down in maybe 10 seconds. No "very loud conversation" was necessary.

My day was done because of the pistol, and everyone knew it. Your mind would have already been made up for ya.

Ouch!

Kyle, look around the forum for the open 3-gun holster thread. Do yourself a favor, get a Kydex holster made or customize one that's made for a 6" gun. You move pretty quick and the way that gun was flopping around just looked scary.

One other thing, as a fellow 3-gunner I would have had my shotgun in my weak hand as I was moving and had my hand on my pistol or had it in my hand ASAP.

I agree with Ray_Z, throwing a tantrum and intentionally slamming your shotgun into the "Dump Bucket" is very bad form. It does not matter if the shotgun has live rounds in it or not, those kind of gun handling actions are usually not tolerated. There is a big difference between aggressively dumping a gun verses intentionally slamming it into the dump bucket because you are angry.

Strange stuff happens which you don't have total control of, such as your pistol falling out while running. But you do have the choice to act appropriately when things don't go as planned.

Edited by CHA-LEE

No one enjoys dealing with a DQ. Not the shooter, his squad or his RO. I have to say it was a little childish at the end but I'm glad you stuck around to help out. Maybe if something like this happens in the future you might stand there for a minute and take a deep breath. Thanks for posting. It takes a big man to post mistakes as well as your best run ever.

Ok, Ok, don't slam down shotgun, it wasn't one of those decisions I put a whole lot of thought into.

Yes, it was a foolish move, I earned that, but c'mon, you can't judge my entire attitude, or gun handling skills based on 2 seconds of video. It was my first DQ, and as soon as the moment passed I was over my "emotion", and felt like a total dunce.

I learn things from every match I go to, so there were a couple of points for me here, and I'm sure I'll handle it differently if it happens in the future, and these lessons were learned without any loud conversations.

Any of you guys DQ'd before? How did you handle it? It really does have a feeling all to itself. Before, I thought I could imagine it, but I couldn't.

I have been DQed twice. The first time my booger picker was on the boom lever during a reload and when I went to push the mag release I pulled the trigger at the same time. AD during reload. When it happened I immediately stopped and waited for the RO to issue the STOP command. Then unloaded and showed clear as I always do. This DQ taught me to find a safe location on the side of the pistol to place my trigger finger any time I am not shooting.

My second DQ was self imposed due to my gun having an unintended hammer drop without even touching the trigger then subsequent AD while transitioning between targets. Since the gun went off when I didn’t intend it to I stopped myself and unloaded and showed clear for the RO. Technically he didn’t DQ me but I DQed myself for having an unsafe firearm that would fire when I didn’t intend it to. The lesson I learned here was to have a safe and functional firearm.

In both of these instances it really sucked and I felt like a total jackass. But I took it in stride, apologized to my squad, then continued to help work the rest of the match.

Here are the main things that I noticed.

1. No one was hurt.

2. He knew better than to try and pick it up.

Couldn't ask for anything better. Sucks dude but it has/will happen to all of us.

On the bright side, at least you went and got your DQ over with. Others have to worry about theirs coming. :D

Shotgun was bone dry, locked back, and on safe, plus it was the proper dump bucket, no "safe gun handling" issue in anyone's mind.

My attitude was one of disgust, but I immediately turned to everyone, apoligized, and had made up my mind that I was gonna stay, and help score, tape, and breakdown, I didn't point any fingers, and had cooled down in maybe 10 seconds. No "very loud conversation" was necessary.

My day was done because of the pistol, and everyone knew it. Your mind would have already been made up for ya.

I like the way you handled yourself after the DQ. We are all very competitive and don't like making mistakes or equipment failures. Enough said about it.

Have I ever been DQed? Yep!! First time was breaking the 180 on a stage that I should have recognized as a 180 trap and didn't. The other two times were going butt over bladder and loosing control of the gun. All were

DQable offences, I deserved it and I learned from it.

+1 on the Kydex. Use it for everything here especially 3 gun. In 3 gun there is just too much movement with the pistol loaded. If you lock the holster, it slows you down. If you unlock it there is a good chance of that gun flopping out. Im with the simple is better crowd and your not going to win a 3gun match on your pistol draw. I even go so far as to crank the retention up even more when shooting 3 gun

I honestly didn't think the shotgun dump was all that dramatic or noteworthy.

Given the context and timeframe, no big deal.

I agree, it was just a natural reaction and surely no foul intended. I've seen people dump shotguns almost the same intensity on a normal run; he handled himself fairly. That gun bouncing around was scary though, glad no one's hurt.

On the bright side, at least you went and got your DQ over with. Others have to worry about theirs coming. :D

+1 :roflol:

+1 on the Kydex. Use it for everything here especially 3 gun. In 3 gun there is just too much movement with the pistol loaded. If you lock the holster, it slows you down. If you unlock it there is a good chance of that gun flopping out. Im with the simple is better crowd and your not going to win a 3gun match on your pistol draw. I even go so far as to crank the retention up even more when shooting 3 gun

Yup, I even have a velcro thumb break now (if I need it).

I DQ'd after the first six rounds, of the first stage, of my first major match (Double Tap Champ). :surprise: I swept myself during a short "back-up" portion of the stage. I had never practiced going uprange and had never shot a match that required it. I learned the hard way. My chest hurt for days......

You inspired me to tell my story. I DQed once and it was because I broke the 180. I was soooo pissed at the RO for about 10 min until I realized that I was the idiot that caused it. I had never been THAT mad. I did stay and help with he rest of the match but that was after I had left the range in a speed that could have landed me in jail. I have to agree that sometimes anger consumes us and we do.t think clearly. I have since.learned that getting angry doesn't help it only compounds your problem. I can't say I condone behavior like that but I do understand and hope that you learn from it as I did. Which it sounds as if you are already past that stage.

dude-you had the guts to post it...nuff said. it sux-but somebody here said, "we race, sometimes we crash".

Big +1 on this. You learned from your mistake and took your lumps, and all of us can learn from this as well. :cheers:

Emotions run deep for competitive people. You controlled it immediately after dumping the shotgun, so it wasn't like you continued on a rant or anything. And I agree, you got stones to post it so the rest of us can learn from it. Rock on