Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CMMG Midwest 3 Gun Championships

Talking about being unsafe. It would be safer to put a loaded gun in a barrel than to deal with people driving ATVs like bats out of hell. Last year, two or three in our squad witnessed a couple of ATVs almost turnover because the drivers were being idiots and almost ran over us in the process. :angry2:

yeah... there was a lot of that kind of stuff witnessed all weekend. <_<

Whatever number the stage at the far right of the range that was all shotgun, shot from behind/thru corrugated pipe and then into the woods... yeah, i busted my butt on the second position, pretty much kept my gun outta the mud but caught myself on my left hand, then proceeded to shoot the remaining 30-something rounds all the while stuffing mud into my gun and magazine. yes, a benelli will run just fine filled with quality missouri mud. :blush:

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kurt took first in Irons; followed by Chris Andersen in 2nd(the young gun no one knows about yet).

Oklahomans Jesse T. was 9th in tac, and Mike Chambers was 11th.

Trapr I believe took HM.

Well done gents!

Congratulations to all the winners!!!

For my first major match, I was OK with my 71st place out of 120 TO competitors.

This homey just ain't got game yet. ;)

BTW, there is a PMag with an Arredondo basepad on it somewhere in the woods just east of Stage 1. Needless to say, after a nasty double feed from this mag on the long range Stage 6 and the rifle on Stage 1 this morning, it didn't stay with me. It cost me more than 40 seconds for both of these double feeds!! Oh well, still probably wouldn't have improved my placement much!

Edited by Firetoad

pray that none of our shooters coming home got caught up in that severe weather along I-44 and the OK-MO state line. The town of Joplin took a direct hit from a tornado. I dont know more than that, just saw the news.

pray that none of our shooters coming home got caught up in that severe weather along I-44 and the OK-MO state line. The town of Joplin took a direct hit from a tornado. I dont know more than that, just saw the news.

Yeah Mike, we came through some of that same storm just west of St.Louis (pulling a 38' fifth wheel) it suuuucked! when I broke clear of it I flat footed the 'ol Ford and outran it, now its suppose to arrive here at home (KY) about 2am.

JP

sooooo.....what kinda red dot optics (1X) did some of the Heavy Metal shooterrs use?

inquiring minds want to know???

I tried a Vortex...it proved to be an ill considered decision. :devil:

From what I saw, the Leupold Prismatic seemed to be the hot ticket..

Thanks Ken and the match staff for putting up a fine 3-gun match, I am sure working in the rain wasn't a whole lot of fun for you guys! Some of the stages were deceptively challenging :ph34r: ! The Spinner Fun stage was the one you can either get it or don't, with a low rifle port and the "spinner target from hell" :devil: !

Thanks to all the match sponsors, especially Nordic for the 48-rds Pmag in each shooter's bag :P !

A small suggestion for next year, if you are going to run the same stage in the wooded area (where stage 7 was), please make the targets more visible. With the heavy rain on Saturday, the left bank of small steel plates across the stream were not visible at all, specially after they get coated with mud and lead. Either allow us to shoot it with a bit of white pain while resetting, or cheaper yet, just wrap the metal stands with yellow plastic caution ribbon to help us index into the plates. We ended up shooting it like a team assist stage, calling out the targets for the shooter :blink: .

Edited by PacMan

Thanks Ken and the match staff for putting up a fine 3-gun match, I am sure working in the rain wasn't a whole lot of fun for you guys! Some of the stages were deceptively challenging :ph34r: ! The Spinner Fun stage was the one you can either get it or don't, with a low rifle port and the "spinner target from hell" :devil: !

Thanks to all the match sponsors, especially Nordic for the 48-rds Pmag in each shooter's bag :P !

A small suggestion for next year, if you are going to run the same stage in the wooded area (where stage 7 was), please make the targets more visible. With the heavy rain on Saturday, the left bank of small steel plates across the stream were not visible at all, specially after they get coated with mud and lead. Either allow us to shoot it with a bit of white pain while resetting, or cheaper yet, just wrap the metal stands with yellow plastic caution ribbon to help us index into the plates. We ended up shooting it like a team assist stage, calling out the targets for the shooter :blink: .

I agree on #7. We shot it early Saturday AM while it was still quite dark down in that ditch and once they fell in the mud, they were covered in that mud and almost invisible. Paint or marked target stands are almost a necessity in stages like this. That or use clays instead of steel. The cost would increase overall but everyone would always have a visible target presentation, no matter the lighting or weather conditions.

There were a few other stages that could have been tweaked a bit to improve the quality of those stages. All had to do with the rifle portion of those stages. I thought the pistol and shotgun parts were great.

ROs were amazing. Friendly, helpful, and thorough in their instructions. Hats off to everyone one of them. They helped it be a fun match.

Craig

I think all of those 4" shotgun plates could be tossed in the trash but that would not be very economical so yes wrapping the stands with something would be awesome! If you watch my stage 7 run I cleaned 25 of 27 and I never saw the 2 in the very middle until my squad started helping me during my unload and show clear.

This was probably the toughest rifle and shotgun shooting I have seen. I came off all but 2-3 stages thinking I was done for the match. I don't think I shot one round on the move all weekend. I kind of enjoyed the beating I mean challenge because it showed me what i'll be working on for the next few months but I'm sure the newer shooters didn't have as much fun with the tough stuff.

Edited by jtischauser

I was probably the third or fourth truck out of the range headed home. My exit off I-44 was highway 71 in Joplin, and I hit it about 10-15 minutes after the twister tore through town. :surprise:

Great match with outstanding RO's

My only complaint NO BLACK BAGS at the prize table, seriously this is not fair treatment for your order of finish

Also, I wanted to say what a noble gesture it was of Daniel Horner to offer to give up points to correct the bonus problem of stage 6. All of us at one time or another get too caught up in winning so when any us are willing to take the high road it deserves recognition and makes 3gun a sport of gentlemen and ladies

Ken, Larry, RM, Overstreets, RO's what a great match, THANK YOU, Yes, the steel did prove extremely difficult to see in the afternoon after the rain on stage 7, I shot it then too, I'm sure they have the idea of how to make that better but what a great match.

Great challanges, technical positions, but most amazing was the preperation and fore thought to allow the match to run smoothly even when it rained for over half a day, We encountered no major backups, no problems running on the stages, and only a bit messy in the reset department! Well done, they had seen it coming and put down the mulch, desinged the stages, movements and targets to support, (lessons learned from years past?) Great planning and execution in far less than ideal conditions, hats off to you all for making it happen and standing in the rain to see us through all the stages.

Great job, smooth running, lots of fun and what a great bunch of RO's and those NROTC folks helping out

thanks again

Jeff