Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P 9mm...which one?

walsh

I shot an M&P9mm Pro and liked it very much and especially the trigger job performed that had a very minimal reset. The front sight was a green fiber optic.

I recently had Inter Ocular Implants (an alternative to LASIK if they see cataracts starting)and my dominant eye is now 20/20 or better. I'm having a problem with the other eye so I can't get shooting glasses yet until it stabilizes and is "fixed" as I'll need trifocals (1- distance reading a computer screen 2- distance looking at the keyboard 3- no prescription other than a shooting one in a spot at the top when I tilt my head down a tad to shoot). I'm using 1.00 reading glasses to see the front sight now as it's a blur without them and might drop to 0.75.

I have an HK P2000 and have painted the front sight (a slightly ramped post) white after seeing a white post on my Marvel 22 conversion. So far, it seems that my best sight acquisition, from also using a Sig with 3 Trijicon front/rear, is the white ramp between slightly wider rear sights.

The Smith & Wesson M&P9L has the list price is $758.00. It seems odd to me that this is more expensive given the fiber optic sight on the Pro as I think the 9L has only a front white dot. Would anyone know why the 9L lists for $89 more?

So my question is about suggestions as to which to buy? I'm thinking the 9L as I already know I will not be using the front sight on the Pro. But if the guns are identical except for the sights, and I'm going to change them, then the less expensive 9Pro would seem to be my best bet unless I'm positive I like the sights on the 9L.

Opinions/advice/information appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

I am under the impression that the M&P9L does not have any type of factory trigger enhancement. I am not sure either why it would be $89 more.

It does sound wierd. I'll ask at the gun shop or possibly call S&W and test their customer support.

So it looks like I could use an opinion on whether there is a difference other than the sights and which has the trigger job. The one I fired was a breath to reset and 2 lbs, max, to fire. I doubt that is what a gun sold to the public will be like and I know the one I shot was worked on. And I'll need to be sure if the one with the worked on trigger from S&W is maxed out as to work, or can be further tweaked. I just shoot them. :blink:

Thanks

I'd shop elsewhere for starters. I can find the Pro for $542-$559. The Pro is usually about $20 more than the "L". Are you sure you are seeing that correctly?

Also, don't expect the trigger on the Pro to be anything great. If you want a non carry gun, I would buy the long, then do a trigger and the sights of my choice. AND if you want to support a local gunshop, fine, just don't let yourself be the "sale of the week". And if you do decide to order elsewhere, make sure you check out the transfer fee from any FFL's you may use. Sometimes they will charge more than enough to make up for your good deal. I am lucky, I can get paperwork done for $25-30.

WG

Edited by Wild Gene

I'd shop elsewhere for starters. I can find the Pro for $542-$559. The Pro is usually about $20 more than the "L". Are you sure you are seeing that correctly?

WG

I'm just looking at MSRP and wondering why they slapped $89 more on the 9L

I double checked the S&W website, but I do have poor reading vision due to these new eyes!

S&W M&P9L

Walsh

The first paragraph of your post is about how much you like the 9 pro. Easy decision it seems....

But I don't think I like the fiber optic sight. I'm going to put some rounds through it tomorrow night with my friend. The larger white post seems to get me on target more easily and I might make just a slight trade-off of that being a tad less than crisp for a slightly better distance vision. I'm really still working out this vision thing with my eyes corrected and not the properly glasses yet.

Thanks,

Walsh

If you want a non carry gun, I would buy the long, then do a trigger and the sights of my choice.

WG

That's what I'm thinking too, assuming it doesn't have trigger work that hampers more work, if that is even possible. A guy at our gun club will do $15 transfers if you can wait 7-10 days until he's coming to meet you at the range.

Thanks all,

Walsh

When I bought the M&P for my son, 9 Pro, Bart told me to get the Long, then do my own sights and trigger, but I managed a very good trade on the Pro with one of my favorite dealers, so went with the Pro. I think the trigger on this particular Pro is pretty bad (I believe I've said that before). Actually, my first choice is Glock, I can do any work to those I want, but the Pro was more Left handed friendly.

Anyway, I prefer the black front sight but can focus better on a front sight with a white dot than one with an Red F/O front sight. The Green is not bad either. I just can not focus (my over 40 eyes) on the top serration of a front sight that has the red glow on top. I can focus on black, a white dot or green, but for some reason that red draws my eye to it rather than the top of the sight. I was talking with a couple GM's or Master shooters, not sure to be honest which they are, and they both felt that they could not really focus with the red F/O. Another problem is that they will tend to shoot the F/O like their Dot on an Open Gun. There are threads and threads about which color here.

What were we talking about?

Oh yea, I looked at their website, and agree that it shows the Long costing more than the Pro. It also shows the Pro as having an overall lenght that is longer than the Long, and that it is heavier than the Long. I think the website is messed up.

If you can wait, and have a guy that will do the paperwork for $15, I would definately shop a bit. Buds, I like Oakhill Enterprises, or I am sure there are more guys out there that are good to deal with.

Good luck!

WG

I bought a 9L a loooong while back (old enough it came with the old-style striker) because budsgunshop.com had them for just over $520.

The 9L comes with a crappy trigger. The Pro comes with a marginally OK trigger.

I bought the 9L because I completely tore it down and did a trigger job to it, and because I disliked the Pro's fat front sight, and went with a set from Dawson Precision.

The only difference between the two guns is the sear (trigger pull) and the sights. And I didn't like either component on the Pro. So I bought the cheaper gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

With either the pro or L you will end up doing trigger works. I would buy the one you get the best price on. If you can live with 4" check jet guns and buds.

Anyone use "GunGenie"? Put in your Zip and it'll list the cheapest 3 dealers closest to you! Select the model you want and it'll tell you if its available or not. Hit "Choose It" it and then "Instant Quote" and the MSRP and sale price is listed including tax, transfer fees. They can also have it waiting for you when you get there if it's in stock.

Edited by Mac11

I bought the Pro and still did a trigger job.

Take a look at apextactical.com and I would suggested any or all of their products. My trigger still has a mile of pretravel but the break and reset is very nice.

Mike

The 9 Pro has a modified sear - very much like what Dan Burwell show on his slide show. The rest of the trigger group is pretty much stock as far as I know.

I bought the 9 Pro because i liked the fiber front and did not plan now want to spend more on a trigger job. I have done most of the non sear mods show in Dan's slide show.

Good Luck,

I shot an M&P9mm Pro and liked it very much and especially the trigger job performed that had a very minimal reset. The front sight was a green fiber optic.

I recently had Inter Ocular Implants (an alternative to LASIK if they see cataracts starting)and my dominant eye is now 20/20 or better. I'm having a problem with the other eye so I can't get shooting glasses yet until it stabilizes and is "fixed" as I'll need trifocals (1- distance reading a computer screen 2- distance looking at the keyboard 3- no prescription other than a shooting one in a spot at the top when I tilt my head down a tad to shoot). I'm using 1.00 reading glasses to see the front sight now as it's a blur without them and might drop to 0.75.

I have an HK P2000 and have painted the front sight (a slightly ramped post) white after seeing a white post on my Marvel 22 conversion. So far, it seems that my best sight acquisition, from also using a Sig with 3 Trijicon front/rear, is the white ramp between slightly wider rear sights.

The Smith & Wesson M&P9L has the list price is $758.00. It seems odd to me that this is more expensive given the fiber optic sight on the Pro as I think the 9L has only a front white dot. Would anyone know why the 9L lists for $89 more?

So my question is about suggestions as to which to buy? I'm thinking the 9L as I already know I will not be using the front sight on the Pro. But if the guns are identical except for the sights, and I'm going to change them, then the less expensive 9Pro would seem to be my best bet unless I'm positive I like the sights on the 9L.

Opinions/advice/information appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

Wlash,

I had catarcats removed and have been near sightted for many years. I could not obtain a clear picture of the front sight without awkwardly tilting my head backwards. My solution was to purchase shooting glasses with rwemoveable lenses such as thiose used by shotgun shooters. I had the right lens (im a right handed shooter) optimized for seeing the front sight and the normal left lens. Now I see both the front sight and traget with absolute clarity - somehow the brain puts it together.

The other difference between the two is the Pro has a heavier slide.

Myth.

Or at least, that it matters.

I weighed my 9L slide, a forum member weighed his Pro's. The difference was grams, not ounces. Negligible. That's one of those things that got started somewhere early along in the M&Ps years, and was spread across the internet (I used to encourage people to buy the 9L for the lighter slide!) without anyone bothering to actually confirm it.