Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sucker Punch

I seen it last night and thought that the special affects and action were awesome.

I am a little confused about the ending though. Was the whole thing a lucid dream for the main character, even the ending when the other lady is getting on the bus?

Usually I can piece together pretty fragmented or twisted stories but this one left me scratching my head at the end. Maybe its one of those movies that is suppose to leave you a little confused at the end. :blink:

Perhaps the entire story was a dream, there were so many levels of fantacy/dream/reality that it is difficult to put your finger on it. It is one of those movies that everyone seeing it could have a different perspective of it. I think that's what I loved about it. I am going to see it again this weekend with my wife. :cheers:

saw it with my son over the weekend. no idea what the heck we just watched, but it was way cool. 15' tall samurai with a chain gun vs. a teenage girl named babydoll armed with a 1911 and a samurai sword? I'll get it on blu-ray just for that and the steampunk trench warfare set piece. I loved the fact that one of them had a breaching shotgun in a backpack scabbard :cheers:

My interpretation was that everything that happened in the fantasy world had an analogue in the real world. So the three girls really did die, and the one really did escape.

Also if this movie has a lesson it is this: be willing to kill when killing is called for.

• 3 months later...

not so much a movie as a collection of awesome CGI set pieces connected by some bizarre and somewhat hard to follow dream within a dream within a dream storyline (populated by hot chicks who are all a size 2 and fight in stiletto heels).

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it on a flight, and I think not being able to hear it was actually a good thing.

Very interesting CGI setpieces, with a truly incomprehensible "story" linking them together.

Rent it for $1, fas-forward through anything not CGI, and you'll have fun.

It's one of those movies that you need to watch a couple of times to get a grip on the story, at leat that is what I had to do. Kind of like The Watchmen, I didn't like it the first time a saw it but after a second sceening I loved it... I am a little slow sometimes. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
not so much a movie as a collection of awesome CGI set pieces connected by some bizarre and somewhat hard to follow dream within a dream within a dream storyline (populated by hot chicks who are all a size 2 and fight in stiletto heels).

That pretty much says it.

I watched the first half of it this weekend but stopped after realizing that all I was watching was a set of clips from different video games. It had some incredible graphics and all of that but all this dream-within-a-dream-within-a-dream stuff can go just so far before it starts to annoy me - like Inception earlier this year. The underlying story was interesting even if it did keep flopping back and forth between the two "realities" but the action stuff almost became a distraction. It was as if the writer/director didn't have enough of a story to make a whole movie so they filled it up with clips of people playing video games.

Disclaimer: I'm old and a bit of a curmudgeon.

That pretty much says it.

I watched the first half of it this weekend but stopped after realizing that all I was watching was a set of clips from different video games. It had some incredible graphics and all of that but all this dream-within-a-dream-within-a-dream stuff can go just so far before it starts to annoy me - like Inception earlier this year. The underlying story was interesting even if it did keep flopping back and forth between the two "realities" but the action stuff almost became a distraction. It was as if the writer/director didn't have enough of a story to make a whole movie so they filled it up with clips of people playing video games.

Disclaimer: I'm old and a bit of a curmudgeon.

That was my take on it, too. I thought Inception was crap and thought the same about this (though the CGI was fun).

Note: I'm not (all that) old and self-characterize as a misanthrope, though my friends (however few they may be) seem to like me and disagree with that description.