Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is the best primers to use

Iam starting to reloaded rifle ammo and was wondering what primmer are best to use

I used to use Winchest Small rifle for just about everything that took a small primer. 5.56x45, 38Super, it worked in everything. Had to switch to Wolf primers cuz I couldn't find any Winchesters. I personally haven't had any problems with the Wolf primers, though I've heard some people have. YMMV. For large pistol, I've used nothing but Winchester Large Pistol. Doesn't matter if it's .44Mag or .45ACP. They've ignited everything very reliably from W231 to W296 and everything in between. For rifles, I've been using CCI large rifles, they've worked well in 22.250, .30-06 up to .300 WinMag. Again, YMMV, everybody has their own prefernces.

Winchester small rifle magnum for 5.56/.223.I started using Federal No. 200 Small Magnum Pistol during the Obama shortage and haven't looked back. No FTF since switching. Running in my STI Edge .40 with extended firing pin and 15# main spring.

Edited by 3gunfun

• 3 weeks later...

just FYI, Federal primers are a bit "softer" and are avoided by some people who shoot semi auto rifles with floating firing pins. They are avoiding slam fires. Those shooters seem to prefer WIN and CCI..... CCI actually markets a harder "mil-spec" primer designed for semi military style firearms..... In a pistol, I shoot whatever can be had.

i don't relaod for rifles.

so far the important thing i've learned about pistol primers after just a year at reloading with a dillon progressive(650) is that:

1- federal primers doesn't match well with sellier & bellot brass ( tight flash holes /federal primer soft) (winchester rough insertion but OK) :sight: .

2- i've so much trouble at station 2# with 9mm federal brass and any primer brand ,i don't use federal brass anymore.

Winchester Small Rifle Primers work great in 38 super pistol and 223 rifle. I can't remember one failing to fire. Did have a few Wolf that didn't go in my super but ran in the rifle.

I'll use Winchester in my auto pistols and Federal in Revolvers.

I use Federal Small Match Rifle primers in my AR with no problems. Bart has a good thread on slam fires that is worth reading.

I have used them all except Remington. They all have worked fine in my SV 40 S+W.

Like the gentleman asked, "What is your purpose?" If I was doing precision shooting I might be more concerned. But I have not had a primer have an adverse effect on my accuracy.

I use Winchester small rifle primers in my 9mm Open gun, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and .223 AR loads. The only other primers I buy are Federal large and small pistol primers for my 38 Super revolvers (minor loads) and 45 ACP revolvers. (All of my revolvers have been Carmonized.)

I may very well be biased here a I work for CCI, but after over 3 years of making primers for CCI I would use them in any reloading I was to ever do. The inspection process is very good and is being improved all the time.

I would give my vote to CCI. I have had no problems other than the occasional primer that gets flipped in the loading process and ends up going in backwards. That can happen with any primer out there.

I believe in CCI enough that I have 5 sleeves of small pistol, 4 of small rifle, 1 large rifle and 2 large pistol so 60,000 primers is going to take a little while to use up. :roflol:

I would give my vote to CCI. I have had no problems other than the occasional primer that gets flipped in the loading process and ends up going in backwards. That can happen with any primer out there.

I believe in CCI enough that I have 5 sleeves of small pistol, 4 of small rifle, 1 large rifle and 2 large pistol so 60,000 primers is going to take a little while to use up. :roflol:

Thats alot of primers for one guy, but if you knew how many primers are made per night at CCI you would be very suprised