Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder scale which one

readgriff

I want to start reloading 45acp I am starting to buy componates as funds allow. Looking to buy a powder scale want to do it right the first time.

I have a RCBS 502 scale but I do not think it would work real good for the small amount of powder used in pistols. I load shotgun shells now in three gauges.

Thanks for all your infromation so I can make the right choice.

That balance beam scale will probably get you going fine (do some check weights to see...maybe weigh some coins or something....anything around 5 grains)

Brian...who carries the Dillon stuff...has digital scales in his store. I haven't tried them (as I've had a Dillon electronic scale for years now), but feedback on this forum has been good. http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale.html

readgriff

I use an Ohaus 505 and an RCBS 505 (made by Ohaus) as a "double check" ,.. and I load .38Spl with 2.7 gr. Bullseye so light charges aren't a problem weighing accurately..

I also invested in a set of check weights and dust covers

Come to think about it..I have loaded almost every round I have ever made in the last 25 years using the Ohaus. My Dad gave it to me when I moved out , he bought an electronic one easier for him to see..

I have no plans to replace either scale in the foreseeable future..

John

Buy the one offered in Brain Enos's store.

Which one he has several on his sight?

Have you used the High Performance scale that he is selling for 134.95.

It sounds like a really nice scale has anyone used one?

From what I have be reading some people have some real issues with some brands of electronic scales and dont like them.

I just want to buy one that works and like to use.

Thanks

The reason I do not think my current RCBS 502 scale will work for pistol loads very well is it at the very end of the scale as you can see in this picture for 6grains.

Some reason I cannot post a picture.

The main weight is in the first noch on the beam and the light weight is on 1 grain.

Edited by readgriff

From what I have be reading some people have some real issues with some brands of electronic scales and dont like them.

Thanks

I ordered the HP scale a month or so ago, absolutely love it.

Settles down nice and fast, isn't affected by the florescent light in the room, doesn't drift, etc.

That being said, the RCBS 502 will probably suit your needs just fine.

The only reason I got the HP scale is because I'm impatient and hated waiting for my Lee Safety Scale to settle down.

Just a couple of thought on digital scales. First, you have to have a good solid table to put it on. No air blowing around to disturb the scale. A good piece of granite will help. If you have a fan you will need to enclose the scale. Brian has a digital scale that is German made with a life time warranty. This scale can be leveled which is very important. So if you want to do it right the first time, to me this would be the way to go.

• 4 months later...

I have read that there are problems with fluorescent lights affecting electronic scales. Anyone have knowledge of this concerning either BE's electronic scale or the Dillon scale? I am seriously considering getting one or the other but if it is affected by said lights it won't work for me. Any input on this is appreciated.

I have read that there are problems with fluorescent lights affecting electronic scales. Anyone have knowledge of this concerning either BE's electronic scale or the Dillon scale? I am seriously considering getting one or the other but if it is affected by said lights it won't work for me. Any input on this is appreciated.

All my overhead lighting is fluorescent. Maybe 10-15, years ago, or longer, the ballast used in fluorescent lighting was magnetic, modern ballast designs use advanced electronics to more precisely regulate the current flowing through a electrical circuit, as compared to magnetic.

I use a iBalance scale like the model 201 that Brian sells and have no issues with fluorescent lighting. I've had Pact and RCBS 750 electronic scales, and the iBalance is consistently repeatable with Lyman check weights where as the Pact and RCBS were off + or - .2.

RCBS 5-0-5 is a great scale. I've been using mine for years. Any scale is just to get you close. We all use the chrono to fine tune our loads anyway. All of my friends loads are diffenent by a tenth of a grain or two, but we all make the same PF over the same chrono. It is all relative...

Edited by sirveyr

Very much agree with the chrono. IMHO the OP's words showed a starting level in pistol reloading. Hitting an accurate load weight can be very comfortable at that stage (at least it was, and is for me). That being said, chronos rock. Note to readgriff: go with the high performance scale. You just gotta love those extra decimal points. :cheers:

I purchased the cheapest scale I could find - used it for

forty years - just replaced it with the cheapest scale

Brian sells - it works great, with a chrono.

I wouldn't trust the scale alone to accurately tell me

my velocity - which is important to me.

I use the scale as a starting point, and then watch the

chrono results, until I get it where I want it.

To use the scale, by the way, best to throw five charges,

drop them back into your hopper, throw ten more charges

into the scale (or scale pan) and weigh ten charges

together - divide by ten, and voila - your charge.

If it's not what you want - throw five more charges,

drop them back into the hopper, and then throw ten more

charges and weight them all together, and divide by ten

again.

Once you have what you want, throw another ten and

average them - make sure its throwing the charge you

want.

Then - chrono them and check the velocity.

Once you have the right velocity - then the work begins -

now you have to check accuracy/reliability/recoil sensation,

and compare all that to other loads (more and less powder,

different powders, different bullets, different OAL's and

possibly different crimps - that's where the fun begins.

Good luck,

Jack

Buy the one offered in Brain Enos's store.

Which one he has several on his sight?

Thanks

I use this one and it works great for me: My link

All my overhead lighting is fluorescent. Maybe 10-15, years ago, or longer, the ballast used in fluorescent lighting was magnetic, modern ballast designs use advanced electronics to more precisely regulate the current flowing through a electrical circuit, as compared to magnetic.

I use a iBalance scale like the model 201 that Brian sells and have no issues with fluorescent lighting. I've had Pact and RCBS 750 electronic scales, and the iBalance is consistently repeatable with Lyman check weights where as the Pact and RCBS were off + or - .2.

Thanks for the information. My lights are about 15 or so years old, so that could still be a problem. Might wind up replacing some of them if I can figure out just how far away they have to be to eliminate interference. I'm glad to know the scale is that accurate. When fine tuning a load, .2 can be a problem, especially if you try to duplicate the load at a later date.

I purchased the cheapest scale I could find - used it for

forty years - just replaced it with the cheapest scale

Brian sells - it works great, with a chrono.

I wouldn't trust the scale alone to accurately tell me

my velocity - which is important to me.

I use the scale as a starting point, and then watch the

chrono results, until I get it where I want it.

To use the scale, by the way, best to throw five charges,

drop them back into your hopper, throw ten more charges

into the scale (or scale pan) and weigh ten charges

together - divide by ten, and voila - your charge.

If it's not what you want - throw five more charges,

drop them back into the hopper, and then throw ten more

charges and weight them all together, and divide by ten

again.

Once you have what you want, throw another ten and

average them - make sure its throwing the charge you

want.

Then - chrono them and check the velocity.

Once you have the right velocity - then the work begins -

now you have to check accuracy/reliability/recoil sensation,

and compare all that to other loads (more and less powder,

different powders, different bullets, different OAL's and

possibly different crimps - that's where the fun begins.

Good luck,

Jack

Good stuff from HI-Power Jack