Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

limited 10 gun / without slide lock any disadvantage?

9mmalpha

I am planning to buy a 2011 from Bob / brazos... i normally shoot production and IDPA since I start shooting last year ... I want to move into limited and limited 10 . this coming season . Bob told me that his custom made doesnt go to slide lock . is this something that might concern me if I to use it for L-10?

another thing any big difference on 5 inch or 6 inch gun? any input is highly appreciated.

It's not a problem unless you lose count, and it goes "click" instead of "bang". :surprise:

5", or 6" is pretty much a personal choice thing. I mostly shoot 6", but, usually shoot just as well (or bad) with a 5". :roflol:

Edited by RH45

It is a factor for Lim10. You will occasionally plan to shoot all the rounds in the gun before a reload. It's quicker to drop the slide with the release, than it is to do the full rack.

I don't know any body that even goes to slide lock. Only like what RH45 said if it's an ooppps.

It is a factor for Lim10. You will occasionally plan to shoot all the rounds in the gun before a reload. It's quicker to drop the slide with the release, than it is to do the full rack.

Indeed.

There are plenty of times I've shot to slidelock when running SStk and Production - Limited-10 would be in exactly the same boat.

Sometimes, it's the plan from the outset - usually on stages with an unloaded table start. Other times, your plan is such that you only have one or maybe two make-up shots available before running dry, so you have to anticipate the possibility of running to slidelock when planning.

Plenty of other shooters do this too.

The reason for disabling slidelock on Limited and Open division pistols is to prevent accidental slidelock. There isn't much disadvantage to disabling it in these divisions as the higher capacities generally mean that you don't ever run to slidelock - either because you've got plenty to begin with, or because you can time reloads with relative ease (and still provide several make-up possibilities with your first mag).

With a gun that is being run for both Limited and Limited-10, you have to make a decision - risk the possibility of an accidental slidelock while retaining speedy reloads and "dry notification" for L-10, or eliminate the accidental lock potential while realizing that you will have to know if you are dry in L-10 and that your recovery/reload from being run dry will be longer.

Thanks guys . someone gave me a solution . If I plan to use it for lim 10 simply change the slide lock mech to make it work / then replace back if i decide for limited... the only other catch is I might need to use two different sets of magazine. Im not familiar with 2011 still need to learn it .

Yeah, make sure you check those mags before thinking they are going to work just by switching the slide stop. It is a good chance that the followers will have been altered.

I would ask the builder to build it to have the slide stop work and then get a spare and grind off the end if you want it to not work in limited.

I shoot a Brazo's in Limited and sometime L10, if you get the gun and want the slide to lock back get a new slide release, but really don't worry about

get the gun (you will love it) and go shoot it

Not having the slide back has not caused me any problems. Now that I have made master in Limited I am going to start shooting more L10 with the gun to move it to master as well.

I shoot a Brazo's in Limited and sometime L10, if you get the gun and want the slide to lock back get a new slide release, but really don't worry about

get the gun (you will love it) and go shoot it

Not having the slide back has not caused me any problems. Now that I have made master in Limited I am going to start shooting more L10 with the gun to move it to master as well.

thanks for encouragement

I just ordered erlier today a bcg plus series , one of their least expensive gun in brazos and shorter wait time/ Ingi says it should be ready in about 3 weeks, by that time we are already snow free here in CT. wohooooo.

Jake is correct on all points. You will love the gun, and the slide not locking back should not be problem at all in L10. I am only A class in Limited and I think I just made A in L10 with the gun. Even in field courses it is not a problem that the slide does not lock back. When I first bought the gun I had the same concerns. They will quickly go away. Reloading while a slide lock could lead to over insertion and those can be tough to clear. Not locking back is the way to go.

Jake is correct on all points. You will love the gun, and the slide not locking back should not be problem at all in L10. I am only A class in Limited and I think I just made A in L10 with the gun. Even in field courses it is not a problem that the slide does not lock back. When I first bought the gun I had the same concerns. They will quickly go away. Reloading while a slide lock could lead to over insertion and those can be tough to clear. Not locking back is the way to go.

Most people won't understand, but the fact that Coach is agreeing with me on a gear related issue is well........it most be getting cold in hell.

We both have stood and sadly watched what happens when someone goes to slide lock and slams a mag in causing the death jam. I did it once (different gun) in managed to break my rear sight out of the dovetail trying to beat the gun and unjam the slide.

Bob builds guns for shooters and he knows what we need and what we don't need.

Most people won't understand, but the fact that Coach is agreeing with me on a gear related issue is well........it most be getting cold in hell.

We both have stood and sadly watched what happens when someone goes to slide lock and slams a mag in causing the death jam. I did it once (different gun) in managed to break my rear sight out of the dovetail trying to beat the gun and unjam the slide.

Was that a single- or double-stack?

I have done it on both

I have done it on both

I forgot about that whole possibility, as it's not physically possible for me to get an over-insertion situation with any of my guns with the setups I run. The basepads will bottom out on the magwell or frame (either way a pretty hard stop) while still clear of the ejector.

It's pretty darn rare to get an over-insertion in a single-stack 1911, as all flavors of typical magazines have stops to engage against the frame. I presume that Dawson's pads for the no-gap ICE probably mate to the magwell like my CZs and thus also prevent the issue there, but perhaps not. Otherwise, about the only case I can think of allowing it would be running a modded mag that has the pad ground down past any hard stop point (whether the frame or the magwell) or the stop removed (in the case of stuff like the WC 10-rounders).

My two Brazos limited guns had deactivated slide stops; the first gun, an Edge was done by me and the second one was my new Plus Series that came with a altered slide stop. Because of our stupid 10 rnd law in Hawaii, all divisions are restricted to 10 rounds here so we get proficient real quick in planning reloads on stages (shoot 6, move and reload, next array shoot 8, move and reload, etc.) Only once in a great while I'll get a brain fart, shoot dry (usually while missing steel) and have to do a standing reload. Or if I'm not sure if I've run dry I'll rack the slide while reloading on the move. I dont think a deactivated slide stop is a hindrance. Most of the shooters here run deactivated slide stops on their Limited and Open guns.

I had all kinds of issues with my first gun locking back with 1 rnd in the mag. Filing all of the followers in my 6 mags was such a pain I said screw it, took a dremel to the slide stop and no more problems with it locking back. Detenting the slide stop didnt work either.

• 2 months later...

In Limited or Open I would say don’t worry about it but in Lim 10, I could go either way. There is concern about having a magazine jamb if you do a aggressive reload with the slide locked black in a 2011.