Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Review of some "State of the Art" Holsters

kdj

When I started looking for equipment at the beginning of the year, I read all the holster posts on this forum (especially the FAQ. Thanks Shooter Grrl!) and I reduced the choice to 3. Since this saved me $$$, I thought I'd post my comments on these and maybe contribute to saving some one else $.

The holster I've tried:

1. Limcat Stealth (Bought from Shooter's Connection) $179

I've shot a number of matches with this and have used it for a few months of practice. Overall, a very nice holster.

What I like about it: It's small. Comfortable to wear for long periods. Fast. Pretty secure when locked. Possible to draw if you forget to unlock. Pretty adjustable. Style factor ;)

What I don't like about it: Too easy to dislodge the gun accidently when unlocked. Very hard to get on a CR Speed belt! The lock lever moves very easily and could be accidentally disengauged (a jacket knocked it off a couple of times - our harsh CA winters require jackets :P) . Binds occationally with my STI. Fit and finish are good but not excellent. Expensive.

2. SpeedSec 5 (Bought from Speedsec.biz) $99

I've only played with this for one practice session since I already had the other two listed and it clearly wasn't going to make the cut.

What I like about it: Great advertizing video. Small. Secure. Fast. Good value in this league.

What I don't like about it: Lacks adjustment in some degrees of freedom that mattered to me. Doesn't work with my STI with a thumb rest since there is a support bar in the way.

3. Ultimate Ghost (Bought from Matt Burkett) $149

I got this about 3 weeks back and I've switched from the Limcat. I've used it in a few matches and lots of practice sessions.

What I like about it: Fast! Very secure, either locked or unlocked. Can be drawn easily if you forget to unlock (only in practice so far ;) ) Very adjustable in all dimensions. Goes on the belt very easily and then doesn't move. Pretty small. Very satisfying click as the gun goes in and out. Fast! Fast! Secure! Cool Italian styling.

What I don't like about it: The belt mount is large and removes a lot of velcro contact on a CR speed. After a whole day, the bottom of the holster rubbing the leg gets a little uncomfortable. Metric hex keys for adjusting. How long it took for Matt to get any in stock.

All in all, I'd rank and grade them as (using the Stereophile grading system for the Audiophiles amongst you)

1. Ultimate Ghost A-

2. Limcat Stealth B+

3. SpeedSec 5 C- (for my gun, probably C otherwise)

4. BladeTech Kydex D

5. 1986 Ernie Hill Speed Rig D-

Taking into account cost and value for money for those on a budget

1. BladeTech

2. Ultimate Ghost

3. SpeedSec (if it'll work for you)

4. Limcat (it's expensive)

5. Ernie Hill (only if it costs you nothing)

These are my opinions. Take them for what they are worth :D

Kevin

Come on

how do you rate a holster from 1986 with the others. It probably was state of the art in '86.

I still have two Gordon Davis mag holders from '82 that are just as good today as they were then, rate them...A++

Come on

how do you rate a holster from 1986 with the others.  It probably was state of the art in '86.

It was state of the art then ... which shows how much the state of the art has changed, no :D

It just happened to be the only other "Open" holster I had, so I threw in the comment largely facetiously but I'd reached my emoticon quota and didn't clearly indicate so.

Sorry ...

What Bob said. You can even use the Safariland velcro kit.

The worst thing about my (first generation) Ghost is the bottom digging into my hip. I've rounded the corners and glued foam pads on it, but it still hurts. Enough padding to stop the pain results in canting the grip in to the torso and the muzle away from the hip, very bad for drawing.

Anybody who is at all unhappy with their race holster should really check out the CR speed. It's hard to imagine a better holster.

I looked at the CR Speed and wasn't impressed with the build quality. I used their mag pouches for a couple of weeks but switched to Safariland. Their belts are good though :-).

Might be a matter of personal taste but I'd rate the CR lower than either the Ghost or the Limcat - but I haven't used one only handled it.

YMMV, of course.

Kevin

I like my Ultimate Ghost. An industrial strength Velcro kit bought at a hardware store took care of the slippage. A little contouring on the backside lets me snug up under the trigger guard better on the draw. Very secure for my weird trigger guarded Para. And, best of all, I look like I can draw under a second, even though I can't :rolleyes: .

Get some velcro material and glue it to the back of the Ghost and you will be back to full contact on your belt.

duh?

WOW I learned something today....

Too bad it's too late (home depot isn't open right now)

thanks Bob

IHMO a stock CR holster isn't all that great. Put the Arredondo muzzle spud and the Arredondo lock lever on it and it rockets up the charts.

Yep. Nothing like having the muzzle covered also. CR is hands down my favorite holster-belt-mag pouch combo. I only bought the belt, and won the others, I was not impressed until I realized how well thought through the product is and simple to use adjust and maintain.

Hah, I can holster my mech-tech in a Ghost. Try that with a CR-Speed!

Actually I have little experience with anything but Safariland (011- scary) and Ghost (pinned; good, but didn't like drilling. no-pin; excellent, although it requried being polite to Angus to get one in lefty :lol: ). The CR-speed belt does rock.

I'm on CR Speed side. Simple, secure and effective....lastly fast.

Acutally I have converted to all CR gear, belt, mag pouches and holster. And this was only after trying just about every holster out there.

I switched to the CR (world cup model with the adjustable hanger) after trying the Limcat & pinned ghost. Retention on the other two was too good sometimes. They would bind on the draw if I didn't get them just right. The CR doesn't seem to have that problem. The lock isn't as quick to disengage on the draw as the other two, though.

Actually, I really like the feel of my Safariland 011, but don't feel that secure with it. I use a sissy-strap with it when I'm not actually shooting.

I do like the Safariland mag pouches much better than the CR version.

What I don't like about it: Too easy to dislodge the gun accidently when unlocked. Very hard to get on a CR Speed belt! The lock lever moves very easily and could be accidentally disengauged (a jacket knocked it off a couple of times - our harsh CA winters require jackets :P) . Binds occationally with my STI. Fit and finish are good but not excellent. Expensive.

I had the problem with the lever being too easy at first also. It is adjustable so now I have it where it is almost an effort to move it. It definately can bind in certain positions. There is definately a sweet spot that you need to have it in.

I've used both the CR Speed and the Limcat.

Speed wise I don't think theres any difference. I like the lock on the CR better (more secure). I've never had a problem with binding with the CR but with the Limcat I sometimes get it to bind. Only on turning draws.

For now Im using the Limcat but Im thinking Im going back to the CR soon. I seen a guy at a indoor IPSC match two weeks ago bend over to pick up brass and drop a nice limited gun. Lucky he caught it at about knee level. Still makes me sick. He forgot to lock his Limcat. I've caught myself forgeting to lock mine a couple times. I don't think anyone else at the match seen it but me.

I'd give a nod to the CR over the two but Im kinda interested in the Ghost. Sounds like there secure. Anyone have a problem with binding with them?

Jim

I don't know if everybody knows this, but the CR Speed also has the advantage of an adjustable-tension semi-lock mode. The lock lever only fully locks the gun if it's set straight over the trigger release bar. If you rotate it further forward, it will allow the trigger release bar to pivot but with more tension than in the unlocked position. If you needed to run before drawing, and didn't want to risk doing so in the unlocked position or attempt to unlock on the go, this feature is just the ticket.

Wow! Thanks for the info. I have read all of the other stuff on holsters that I could find on this forum too. I had decided on the CR, then I decided on the speedsec, then the CR, then the limcat, then the CR, then the ghost, now I think I will just order the CR Speed!

One question for everyone would be rather to get the spud or not, and what is the difference between the CR lock lever and the Arredondo lock lever?

Thanks Again!

Some like the spud, some don't. I don't think the spud is any more or less secure than the cup that comes with it. I do think the spud is ever so slightly faster and easier on the finish of the gun. Just adjust the spud correctly and away you go. Takes maybe 2 minutes to swap.

The Arredondo lever is WAYYYYYY slicker than the stock CR part. The difference in smoothness on the draw between the two is substantial. The Arredondo lever does take a bit of fitting...well, at least mine did. But a bit of work with some sandpaper took care of that in maybe five minutes.

Be sure you order the CR that comes on the adjustable mount (forget the exact term CR uses..."versa mount" maybe?). Between the mount and the shims you can put your pistol anywhere you want it. In fact, the thing that takes the longest to set up with the CR is figuring out where you like it best.

The fitting of the lever isn't anything major. The Arredondo part is just slightly oversized in width...at least mine was. I just kept taking a bit off each side with some sandpaper until it moved freely in the slot. Then I polished it with some 900 or 1200 grit paper a bit.

Just resist the urge to get it right the first time. A little too much taken off really isn't going to mess anything up.

Once you assemble it you want the lever to freely pop back into position when you draw the gun and when you holster the gun. Otherwise you will find yourself having to push the lever back over to lock it and that would be annoying and maybe dangerous. Once it is set up it is slick.

If you have trouble PM me and I'll see if I can work you through it.