Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which division should I be shooting?

chex22

Hi everyone,

My first USPSA match is tomorrow, and I'm wondering which division I should shoot in. I'll be shooting a G19 and have 4 mags. I was told to shoot Limited for the reason being that I ONLY have 4 mags and so I can top off (not worry about running out of ammo mid-stage). And that if I ran Production, I would only be allowed 40-41 rnds with 4 mags and risk not finishing the stage. Would I be at a disadvantage for shooting a stock G19 in Limited? I have shot IDPA before and am competitive with the shooting sports.

So, Limited or Production with my stock G19 and 4 mags?

Thanks a lot!

Long Term - You are going to want to shoot Production with the G19. In Limited you will be shooting Minor with a 9mm.

Short Term - Depends on you. How do you feel about facing a 32 rounds course with 41 rounds? If that's not comfortable, load the mags to capacity and shoot Limited Minor. Or ask around to other Glock shooters and see if someone will loan you a spare mag so you have 51 rounds. There are usually a couple of guys with Glocks.

If the stages are shorter than say 24 rounds, I say shoot production, everyone will be equal. If they are more than 24 (can't be more than 32), I would shoot limited minor (unless only one or so is more than 24). If you are competitive (as you say you are), you could shoot production even with a 32 round stage. More than likely, not every stage will be a 32 rounder, so the shorter ones won't be an issue in production. I shoot production with an XDM40, it is very seldom that I go to the 5th mag, and that all depends on the array I'm shooting on that stage....In the end....shoot Production.

If you shot limited you would be scored minor since your G19 is 9mm. It would put you down some points. Not knowing anything about the match you are going to shoot makes it a little more difficult to answer. If the stages are large round count field courses then you may have to shoot limited so you can load the mag's to capacity. If it is a local club match with round counts in the 20's then I would shoot production. In the future I would buy another mag or two for the gun you already have and shoot production, but for this match just pick a division and have some fun!

Grumpy beat me to it!!!

Edited by caz41

The first time I shot production it was with a Glock 19 and 4 mags. Go out and have fun! If you run out of ammo, show the RO clear and engage the remaining targets mano a mano.

But you should be fine with 4 mags, unless you have a malfunction.

...If you run out of ammo, show the RO clear and engage the remaining targets mano a mano...

Make sure when you do a mag change you hold onto the empty mag. When the RO isn't looking throw it at a steel plate.

OR

Just go to open. A lot less pressure to make sure your gear is in compliance, and you get to check out everyone's sweet blaster on your squad B)

Seriously though, what they said. Look at stage setup if you can, or offer to help set up the match so you can get a feel for where the targets are, how many shots are required and how many you might think you need. Glock mag's are cheap compared to other brands, and in a pinch you can order the "Korean Military" mags. They might only last a few matches but that could be an option for a stopgap until you find a good deal on OEM Glock mags.

Ask around, I know I bring multiple extra mag's in case of failure, and start trying to find a few extra for failures/misfeeds/feed lip warping, etc.

Good Luck!

If the stages are shorter than say 24 rounds, I say shoot production, everyone will be equal. If they are more than 24 (can't be more than 32), I would shoot limited minor (unless only one or so is more than 24). If you are competitive (as you say you are), you could shoot production even with a 32 round stage. More than likely, not every stage will be a 32 rounder, so the shorter ones won't be an issue in production. I shoot production with an XDM40, it is very seldom that I go to the 5th mag, and that all depends on the array I'm shooting on that stage....In the end....shoot Production.

At level 1 or 2 they can be more than 32...

True that...But it's generally pretty rare....From what I've seen, at the level 1 matches at least, they know new shooters are gonna come in, and probably won't have all the gear needed, so they try and keep it low to accomodate them.

Hi everyone,

My first USPSA match is tomorrow, and I'm wondering which division I should shoot in. I'll be shooting a G19 and have 4 mags. I was told to shoot Limited for the reason being that I ONLY have 4 mags and so I can top off (not worry about running out of ammo mid-stage). And that if I ran Production, I would only be allowed 40-41 rnds with 4 mags and risk not finishing the stage. Would I be at a disadvantage for shooting a stock G19 in Limited? I have shot IDPA before and am competitive with the shooting sports.

So, Limited or Production with my stock G19 and 4 mags?

Thanks a lot!

You mention that you have experience shooting IDPA, so I believe that you know how your ammunition useage goes on a stage. If you don't take many "extra" shots, then 40-41 rounds is sufficient for stages up to 32 rounds. I shoot revolver and start loaded with 6 and wearing 30 on my belt (I also keep 2 speedloaders in my back pocket). I cannot remember the last time I had to use more than 36 on any stage.

I suggest shooting production, but you already decided that. :)

It doesnt matter, you stated this is your first match, You are gonna be at a disadvantage no matter what you shoot. I had to look up a G19, as I havent heard that number used, its a compact 9mm, Not really the best gun anyways, so I wouldnt get to worried about it. Learn the game, see some other guns and enjoy what you have. Id pick up another mag but thats about it.

The cost of a new magazine is about the cost of a 100rnd box of WWB so get yourself one more mag and throw it in your back pocket if you don't have a mag holder for it.!!!! Problem solved, your now running production with little risk if you dump a mag or have a failure.......

Why tie your brain in a knot over it? Just go have fun. If you get the USPSA "Bug" you'll be hemorrhaging money for awhile anyway to get the junk you need in a pile. Just shoot "A's" really fast and you'll do fine!!

+1 been in uspsa for six months and the money goes quick!!! Fun fun fun though!

True that...But it's generally pretty rare....From what I've seen, at the level 1 matches at least, they know new shooters are gonna come in, and probably won't have all the gear needed, so they try and keep it low to accomodate them.

You need to get out more... :lol: