Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a 1911 9mm to a .40

Mike21STI

I'm thinking about starting to shoot USPSA and I currently have a 1911 in 9mm, however I want to shoot major and was thinking about buying an upper chambered in .40, can I easily interchange the two? do I have to change anything else aside from getting the new slide, barrel, bushing, magazines, firing pin, and block?

Probably not. It's more than likey like Glocks. You can turn a G35 into a G34 with a conversion barrel (that's a 40 to a 9mm), but you can't change a G34 into a G35 99mm to 40). Has to do with the barrel size, outside diameter of the 40 is a good bit bigger than the 9mm. You probably could get the slide milled to fit the 40 barrel, b ut you'd no longer have a 9mm, ever again. And it would be fairly expensive to have all that milling done. Cheaper and better to get another 1911 already chambered in 40.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an STI Sentry, I probably won't end up doing it because my 9mm 1911 is my IDPA gun of choice. Maybe I'll just run my Nighthawk .45 in single stack or limited 10 instead.

I'm in the exact same boat. I've got an STI Trojan 9mm for an IDPA gun and I've been shooting it in SS as minor. I do have a SA in 45 acp and I'm thinking of running it in L-10. I just need to get set up to relaod 45 and I need some good 10 round magazines.

I've had good luck with the Wilson 10 rounders in all of my 1911's in .45 (nighthawk, 2 Kimbers, 1 SW, 1 Dan Wesson) Unfortunately I parted with some of those mentioned but the Wilson mags ran great in all of them. their 9mm mags, not so much!!! haha...

I haven't broken down to getting into reloading yet, although I definitely want to.

If you are going to shoot single stack or L10 with a 1911...why not use the .45 you already have? Looking at it this way you've go two guns that run. Forty single stacks are a difficult thing to get running or so sayeth the local GM. If you've got a .45 spend the money you would shell out for the upper and buy ammo/components.

Been thinking of doing the same as mentioned and just talked to a local gunsmith who also shoots USPSA. From what I know and he informed me of, you can go from 9mm to 40 by opening up the breechface and changing barrels (and maybe extractor and ejector but that depends). Problem lies in finding a gunsmith to do it. He said most good smiths don't have the attachement to allow them to do the cut. Apparently it is several hundred dollars and most smiths don't invest in the part as widening the breechface is not something any of them do that often. You have to come in through the barrel bushing end to do the cut (according to him) and most cutters won't reach without the extension.

Ultimate answer, not hard to do but takes that expensive gizmo few have.

If anyone knows of a smith that can do it, please post them up. I would be one that would send them some buisness.

Most everyone seems to have missed the original question--can you simply switch back and forth between separate complete upper assemblies, one in 9mm and one in .40? The answer of course is YES, as long as both uppers are correctly fit to the lower.

Anybody remember this thread?? http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26887&hl=armscor&st=0

:)

Edited to add photo of my switch-top 9mm/.40 Armscor wide-body. All it takes to switch calibers is to simply pop out the slide stop, slide off the entire upper assembly as a unit, slide the new one on, and replace the slide stop. Takes about 10 seconds.

post-4033-015141600 1300069350_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carmoney

Try George at EGW-Guns. He did the opposite for us. We were having feeding problems w/Kimber SS in 9mm. George welded up the breach face (cut for.40 from Kimber) and recut them to 9 and the feeding problems went away. Mine would only feed Blaszer Alumn reliablely. Now, it eats anything w/no problems. He's a very nice guy to do business with in addition to being an excelent smith, machinist and custom gun builder. Check him and his web site out.

Most everyone seems to have missed the original question--can you simply switch back and forth between separate complete upper assemblies, one in 9mm and one in .40? The answer of course is YES, as long as both uppers are correctly fit to the lower.

Anybody remember this thread?? http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26887&hl=armscor&st=0

:)

Edited to add photo of my switch-top 9mm/.40 Armscor wide-body. All it takes to switch calibers is to simply pop out the slide stop, slide off the entire upper assembly as a unit, slide the new one on, and replace the slide stop. Takes about 10 seconds.

Thanks Carmoney, thats exactly what i was looking to do. I was told by someone that I could just easily get a complete upper chambered in .40 and it would be good as long as it was fitted to the existing frame. I think I know what my next purchase is...