Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to CA - what happens with Hi Cap mags/guns

I am looking at moving to California and I know they have strict gun laws, even ammo laws now.

My question is, if I buy a new STI Edge Hi Cap 40S&W and then move to CA with high cap magazines?

Am I allowed to posses them? transport them to matches or the practice range?

Appreciate the feedback from anyone that has made the same move,

Mike

You can bring in any gun you want as long as it doesn't fall into the "assault weapon" category.

I'm not 100% but I think features that would classify guns as "assault weapon" are threaded barrel, front grip (like a Berretta 93R) and some other features I can't remember.

Diehli, thanks for the link, I will keep that handy. So the Pistols are OK, but magazines over 10 rounds are not. Should we decide to make the move I will have to have a 'moving' sale for all the various mags I have.

Mike

I found it~!

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#5

# If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (B)(19-29))

Edited by Mike in CT

You see a lot of new magazines because kalifornians are allowed to "refurbish" their legally owned high caps.

As long as the mags were possessed before Jan 1 2000, you're allowed to refurbish your worn out mags.

On the other hand, if you try to refurbish your 10 round mags with standard capacity mag tubes but the mags go into a gun that was introduced after 1/1/2000, now that's just being stoopid.

• 2 months later...

Why in the world would a gun owner willingly move to CA? I can see if you were born there and can't get out or if you move there before you start shooting . . . .

I faced the same thing when I "had" to move to NJ. I man has to eat right? Read the laws published on the DOJ/State police sites. Do not take peoples word. I know many people in NJ that have no clue about the gun laws. I am sure it's the same in Cali.

BTW - Looking for land in PA !!!

OK, that is pretty much what I thought.

So before I buy a fancy slick new STI Edge I will be sure I am not going to CA. If I end up going to CA then I will just pick up a SVI Spartan for a third the price.

Mike

Mike,

If you're going to continue to shoot allot while you're here do yourself a favor, buy frames. STI, Caspian, what ever you think you may want in the future. Once you are here you will not be able to get a bare frame. If I were you I'd bring a couple standard STI's, couple long-wide STI's and a couple quality single stacks. If you don't get around to building/having them built-up you can sell them for a nice profit. An STI long wide frame was on CalGuns last week for $900 and Caspian single stacks for $450 (which is weird because you can get a complete Springfield mil-spec for $500).

Edited by TMC

• 3 weeks later...

I had to move to the PRK for 3 years. During the ENTIRE three years, I kept my Texas residency for this particular reason. It becomes a bit of a pain when you also have to keep your auto insurance, auto registration, DL, etc all from your original state. Basically you are FORCED to register your firearms if you are a Commefornia resident. However, they told me it was up to me on which state I had residency. I think the tricky part is that there are mandates on vehicle registration. I tried to skate around the law by keeping everything current in the United States and not Commefornia.

Okay, question...

Can a Cali resident legally own hi-cap mags that they do no possess in state? Say the mags stay with a friend in a less nannified state like Nevada and the Cali resident only possesses them when out of state?

Another way to do it is to keep your magazines in pieces. Magazine parts are not functional ammunition feeding devices, they are simply parts. There are no constructive posession laws, which is why CA residents can buy standard capacity magazines as "rebuild kits" Those kits can also be used to construct a 10rd magazine out of. People install a pin or block in the bottom of the magazine so, lets say, a 30rd PMAG only holds 10rds. This stays within the law, but you still get the same size and similar weight as a 30rd magazine, which can aid in practice. So you can keep your magazines, but completly disassembled. Some people also do this so they can take a drive to a free state, such as Nv and reassemble and use their full capacity magazines there. Then disassemble them once again before returning to CA.

Like fastmtnbiker33w said, Calguns.net is a wonderful resource for CA gun laws.

Which part of the state are you thinking about moving to?

Edited by MustangGreg66

Thanks for the info.

I moving to the San Francisco Bay Area, likely Sonoma County. I see there are some local IDPA matches in Richmond and maybe some in San Rafael.

I am looking for other shooting areas in the area as well,

Mike

Thanks for the info.

I moving to the San Francisco Bay Area, likely Sonoma County. I see there are some local IDPA matches in Richmond and maybe some in San Rafael.

I am looking for other shooting areas in the area as well,

Mike

There are matches in Concord as well. Diablo Action Pistol.

If you don't have a great job lined up rethink you're move. I am a lifer here in the golden state, but it's expensive and we have to shoot limited 10.... It's fun but not the same for USPSA. On the other hand ICORE is alive and well. My local range in Central California has a very active group of revolver shooters. You can trade in you're STI EDGE for my 686+ ill throw in brass and moon clips. Now seriously welcome to the golden state!

Some one mention this before but I will repeat it..

Take your magazines apart and bring them in as rebuild kits...

If your going to play the L10 game a wide body Sti like an edge is the way to go..

Plus if you want to shoot limited at the nationals or area2 (or any match in a rational state)

You will have a gun and plenty of practice with it.. The best L10 gun is a limited gun :)

Living in CA is not so bad ;)

If you don't have a great job lined up rethink you're move. I am a lifer here in the golden state, but it's expensive and we have to shoot limited 10.... It's fun but not the same for USPSA. On the other hand ICORE is alive and well. My local range in Central California has a very active group of revolver shooters. You can trade in you're STI EDGE for my 686+ ill throw in brass and moon clips. Now seriously welcome to the golden state!

calif has a ton of uspsa clubs and a lot of shooters

and were all not shooting L 10 were shooting all of uspsa divions

dont trade your sti.