Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 38 Super Bullet Question

JasonS

So my first .38 Super gun is on order, and scheduled to be ready in about 2 months (and it has a .355 barrel). Anyway, I'm in the process of getting all the reloading components stocked up, so I'm all ready to go when it gets here. Anyway this leads me to my dumb question.

Are the Montana Gold .355 124 gr JHP, that are labeled 9mm the same as those used for .38 super? I just want to make sure I'm not missing any subtle difference between .355 9mm JHP, and .355 .38 super JHP.

Thanks,

J

Most newer .38 super barrels are .355". I've seen builder recommended loads for Open pistols using .355" 124 gr. MG JHP and Zero .356 125 grain JHP bullets, so I don't think it really matters. The .356 will probably be more accurate. The Hornady HAP line of 9mm bullets are .356".

Edited by SIG shooter

Like everone else has said. You might consider the MG IFP in 121gr. I've been using them and are very happy with their accuracy. Built just like a JHP but the hollow point is filled.

Second that one! This is my favorite bullet.

One big advantage to the 121 gr IFP bullet is being able to tumble it to get the resizing lube off after loading. No hole in the end like a JHP to pick up media. I have also found it to be very accurate.

I don't tumble after loading, so no issue there....

• 2 weeks later...

One big advantage to the 121 gr IFP bullet is being able to tumble it to get the resizing lube off after loading. No hole in the end like a JHP to pick up media. I have also found it to be very accurate.

I don't tumble after loading, so no issue there....

At the recommendation of my gunsmith (Brazos) I use either a .356 Zero 125 JHP or a .356 125 FMJ. I too prefer to tumble after wards to get the gummy lube off. It seems to keep the Big Stick running with less chance for jams. The media that gets into the nose of a JHP doesn't have a major influence on trajectory (at least at the average yards IPSC uses), but it can come off and jam up your slide or even get in and round your extractor or firing pin which can make for a very bad day!! Zero is way behind in production at this time so many people that shoot Zero are looking for alternatives. Good luck in your bullet selection and your decision to tumble or not to tumble! :roflol::roflol:

Tim

I am currenly using the 124GR CMJ MTG in both 9 Major and 38SC. The Zero in IMHO is a little better bullet and I prefer the 125gr JHP. The Zero will fly a little faster with the same load out of the same gun, the reason for this is the Zero is slightly larger in diameter than the MTG. I don't use lube when reloading I have Hornady Die its not necessary and I wouldn't want to shoot JHP's with corn in the nose of the bullet for a variety of reasons. A little bit of brass polish in the corn makes them plenty slick and it does not keep the Dykem from sticking to them, I paint the bottom half of all the brass with blue Dykem so I can find them and others know its not thier brass, most use Red Dykem.

I have used regular RN with exposed lead and as you may know some lead does accumulate in the comp and you need to clean that out with a small scraper.

The problem with Zeros is getting them, and my last supplier was shooters connection and if you buy when they have them you can stay stocked. MTG on the other hand order on Monday loading on Wednesday night.

Accuracy, I have not noticed any appreciable difference in MTG or Zero either RN or JHP in accuracy at 25 yards with 125gr. My guns however do not like the 115gr and while the 125's shoot a nice 1-11/2 group the 115's are closer to 6" except for the ones that went I don't know where. Your gun may perform differently.

Open gun load development is more witchcraft than science as everyone prefers a somewhat different feel. A guy switching from limited may want something with a gentle pulse like the limited gun, while others prefer something that reacts more quickly and then the equipment plays a part. The most important thing for a new guy is to double plug to get past the new noise level and blast. Start with the 124/5gr get some shooting time in on those and if you still want to go on the quest for the magic try the others. With a TruBore I'd start with N350 a good open powder in the middle of the range get the gun broke in and go from there.

Although pistols USUALLY aren't as fussy as rifles, some show a definite preference to some bullets.

Every pistol I own shoots Zero bullets faster, and more accurate than MGs, and every 9mm I own shoot .356 JHPs more accurate than .355s.

Your results may vary. That's part of the fun/frustration, of reloading. :cheers: