Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After many weeks of paper work and gathering info for our insurance company, they just backed out from insuring our handguns if they leave our property. Doesn't do us much good since we travel to compete. :closedeyes:

Looking for some good companies out there that will insure competition guns. Any help would be appreciated. :cheers:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We added a rider to our Homeowners through State Farm that covers firearms. I was very specific with the agent to make sure they are covered if they get stolen from hotel room or car while traveling.

We did have to list them and provide photo's, but cost was less than 100 year for 25k coverage.

Homeowners will cover them, but only up to about $500. I got a seperate rider for $30 a year for $3500 worth of equipment.

I've looked at the same thing and one thing to watch is whether the coverage only applies to the guns when they are home.

Thats exactly what has happened to us. Our agent even came to us with the offer of insuring us as he heard of our travels.

This morning, after weeks of work on our end, headquarters State Farm deemed it too risky and decided to not insure us if the guns leave our property. Our RV coverage will only cover items taken with a value of 1K or less. So...it goes back to being covered at matches, or away from home.

Several companies will offer a rider policy (much like a diamond ring) but will not cover us away from home. We will give Farmers a call...THANK YOU!

Edited by Bigpops

We added a rider to our Homeowners through State Farm that covers firearms. I was very specific with the agent to make sure they are covered if they get stolen from hotel room or car while traveling.

We did have to list them and provide photo's, but cost was less than 100 year for 25k coverage.

Hmmm...State Farm just denied us as "too risky"

I have Allied Insurace with a Sporting Equipment rider which covers all my guns and scuba gear. This is suppose to cover losses from theft from veichle or lost luggage. I had a house fire 18 months ago and they were really great to work with. While my wife was preqnant and we had lost everything in the house, moved twice in 6 months, the insurance company never argued or fought with us and paid out without undue hassle.

After many weeks of paper work and gathering info for our insurance company, they just backed out from insuring our handguns if they leave our property. Doesn't do us much good since we travel to compete. :closedeyes:

Looking for some good companies out there that will insure competition guns. Any help would be appreciated. :cheers:

Since I will be wanting coverage in a few months myself I went ahead and made a call to NRA.

1-877-672-3006 Option #3

Armscare Plus policy

$17.40 per thousand

You don't give any serial numbers.

Covers everything except giving your gun to the hotel staff to put it in a common safe. Room safes are covered.

Covers Stolen from a LOCKED car. Hotel room. Airport, lobbies, your house, etc..

NRA already provides you with $2500 for free.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find something better/cheaper. Like I said I need some too.:)

Kevin

Edited by Sarge

I'm with Farm Bureau. My coverage covers my car, hotel rooms, and anything I'd realistically consider filing a claim for. It's an all-risk policy, so it could even conceivably cover a squib, but I don't think I'd push my luck.

My home owners ( USAA ) covers me up to $2000. I just called recently to upgrade that and they quoted me $4 a month for $3500 worth of coverage, includes no deductible, and covers lost or stolen guns ANYWHERE. Need to provide models/serial #'s and description of any custom work to justify the value. They said receipts not necessary, just description.

My girlfriend is in Financial Service and refers Insurance work to a colleague in her Networking group. He works for Allstate here in South Carolina, and he was ready to sell me gun insurance if my homeowners didn't cover it. If you want me to give you his info to see if he covers your state, feel free to send me a PM.

Since I will be wanting coverage in a few months myself I went ahead and made a call to NRA.

1-877-672-3006 Option #3

Armscare Plus policy

$17.40 per thousand

Covers everything except giving your gun to the hotel staff to put it in a common safe. Room safes are covered.

Covers Stolen from a LOCKED car. Hotel room. Airport, lobbies, your house, etc..

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find something better/cheaper. Like I said I need some too.:)

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. We were just talking about the NRA at lunch. We will give them a call.

Steve

1-877-672-3006 Option #3

Armscare Plus policy

$17.40 per thousand

Kevin

Kevin $17/thousand sounds kinda high. I'd have to call my agent to make sure, but I don't think I'm paying that much. I wanna say it's between $10 & $15 per thousand. There is NO DEDUCTIBLE, and it covers the firearms for "replacement value". So if I pay $3000 today, but it's worth $4000 when it's stolen in 5 or 10 years then that's what they cover.

I'll call and ask today if I get time.

I had NRA for a while. It was kind of expensive but fairly easy to work with those folks. The only problem I had was with a Custom Franken gun--Wilson receiver, Caspian Upper built by Tripp. They ended up valuing it a top of the line Wilson. Actually, they did their due diligence which impressed me by actually reseaching the Wilson line of pistols.

Like I said it was kind of expensive. No days it does not take long to get to $10K.

1-877-672-3006 Option #3

Armscare Plus policy

$17.40 per thousand

Kevin

Kevin $17/thousand sounds kinda high. I'd have to call my agent to make sure, but I don't think I'm paying that much. I wanna say it's between $10 & $15 per thousand. There is NO DEDUCTIBLE, and it covers the firearms for "replacement value". So if I pay $3000 today, but it's worth $4000 when it's stolen in 5 or 10 years then that's what they cover.

I'll call and ask today if I get time.

Chris - you are fully covered away from home?

I just switch insurance about a month or two ago. My current insurance agent didn't ask for serial numbers, but since I had provided my previous agent with that information I just went ahead and did the same with the new one. In fact I provided pictures of the covered firearms in addition to the serial numbers. I also explained a little bit about my hobby, since this guy is a shooter also, and he didn't make any comments when I mentioned that I travel, about the potential non-coverage while traveling. So I know I'm assuming alot at this point, but until I can verify that information I'll have to rely on what I believe so far. I will confirm this today or tomorrow, certainly before my first out of town trip.

I've filed "gun" claims with my homeowners insurance (Allstate), the NRA firearms folks, and Collectibles Insurance (www.collectinsure.com)

Of the three, the CI people were the cheapest for the most coverage without all the depreciation bs, fastest to file a claim, and by far the fastest to pay out. I carry $200k for guns and swords, under $500/year for coverage anywhere (even if I mail stuff).

Alex

Called NRA again about Armscare Plus.

$100 deductible per occurance not per gun.

Covers full replacement cost. The free $2500 from NRA only covers actual value not replacement cost. BUT, if you buy additional insurance it converts to full replacement cost.

I'll for sure shop around but I think this will be hard to beat since you already get $2500 insurance for free.

Also, there is a minimum purchase of $50. i.e $3000 worth of insurance17.40 X 3=$52.20. That will get you $5500 worth of insurance for a year.

Hope this helps.

Another vote for Farmers here. Just added a $10k rider after a recent break-in at less than $70/yr no deductible. Covers them even if they're out of the house/vehicle. I have a good agent, but despite any "anti-gun" agents, it seems like Farmers is pretty gun-friendly anyway. No need to add the cost of the safe itself since that's not considered "firearms". Stock home policy was set at $1k but suceptable to the deductible where the rider is NOT, so I'm happy.

Good luck with your choice! Would have gone with NRA, but just another bill to deal with and I prefer the lumped together method with my home insurance.