Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to start reloading. Have some questions

KevenW

I've never reloaded before but plan on starting soon. I'll just be target shooting pretty much with an ar-15 in 5.56. Also will be target shooting with two springfield xd-40's, both 4"service and a 3" sub-compact.

I bought a lee single stage from a friend recently. I haven't set anything up yet as I have to build a talbe/bench. I think I got a great deal. Did I do pretty good?

Here is what I received for $100:

speer reloading manual #13 and a small 30-06 specific hand book

Lee single stage(used) with lee 30-06 dies(3)

Cabelas vibratory case cleaner used 3 times w/a jug of media and a media sifter pan

cabelas digital scale w/ two weights used a couple times

bullet puller

lyman 500 beam scale

a box of lee shellholders(12)

a box of hornady 30-06 bullets, and some new 30-06 brass, several zip lock bags. prob about 200 cases just guessing

some plastic rifle boxes and some wooden things with holes in them for shells. not sure what u call them... lol

a box of cci large primers with five or six of the thin boxes that I think have 100 primers in each one..

a deburring tool thing that can go in a drill

a lee primer installing thing with 2 different round things for small and large primers, has the lever on the side...

a thing of powder, a small bottle of case lube and a case lube pad

I think this is all... there are prob a few other little items i forgot.

Ok here is what I'm looking at. I want a dillon 550 most likely, I don't think I'm ready for a 650. I'm just doing some reading and trying to figure out what else I need that I don't already have with what's listed above. I'm gonna look through brians recommendations. I may order a press this weekend after I look through the different packages. It looks like this is a very easy place to buy from. Very impressed with the details so far!!

Thanks for any help and advice you guys can give me!

Edited by KevenW

I've never reloaded before but plan on starting soon. I'll just be target shooting pretty much with an ar-15 in 5.56. Also will be target shooting with two springfield xd-40's, both 4"service and a 3" sub-compact.

I bought a lee single stage from a friend recently. I haven't set anything up yet as I have to build a talbe/bench. I think I got a great deal. Did I do pretty good?

Here is what I received for $100:

speer reloading manual #13 and a small 30-06 specific hand book

Lee single stage(used) with lee 30-06 dies(3)

Cabelas vibratory tumbler used 3 times w/a jug of media and a media sifter pan

cabelas digital scale w/ two weights used a couple times

bullet puller

lyman 500 beam scale

a box of lee shellholders(12)

a box of hornady 30-06 bullets, and some new 30-06 brass, several zip lock bags. prob about 200 cases just guessing

some plastic rifle boxes and some wooden things with holes in them for shells. not sure what u call them... lol

a box of cci large primers with five or six of the thin boxes that I think have 100 primers in each one..

a deburring tool thing that can go in a drill

a lee primer installing thing with 2 different round things for small and large primers, has the lever on the side...

a thing of powder, a small bottle of case lube and a case lube pad

I think this is all... there are prob a few other little items i forgot.

Ok here is what I'm looking at. I want a dillon 550 most likely, I don't think I'm ready for a 650. I'm just doing some reading and trying to figure out what else I need that I don't already have with what's listed above. I'm gonna look through brians recommendations. I may order a press this weekend after I look through the different packages. It looks like this is a very easy place to buy from. Very impressed with the details so far!!

Thanks for any help and advice you guys can give me!

Actually, if you are gonna buy a 550, you don't need some of that stuff. Like the hand primer, the load blocks (the wooden things with holes). Other than that, very good deal.

cool thanks! I know I have a lot to learn and I'm gonna go very slow and watch some of the youtube 550 vids and do a lot of reading on forums. I shoot very rarely but hope to change that this summer after getting my 550 and getting it setup. I figure i'll set up the single stage lee for depriming or something. I'll get some kind of use out of it since I have it.

Start reading that reloading manual, and download the instruction manual for the Dillon press as well, and read that! That will probably be the most important thing you can do to learn to reload safely.

I recommend learning to reload for the pistol first...it is substantially simpler and faster, with fewer steps. Rifle cases generally require trimming after resizing, which usually means two trips through a press, with some steps in between.

If you're a member of a club, or go to matches, you may be able to find someone else with some experience reloading. I learned to reload initially by begging a local master shooter to give me a tutorial on his machine...that took a lot of the anxiety out of the process!

DD

Good info! I've been reading the speer manual some already. My cousin does some single stage reloading in several calibers so he can help me some. I have a friend on a forum that is a master at it. he shoots very long distance only so I can get advice from him. You know, I had forgotten about the pistol stuff being easier, he has told me to start with pistol first but I had forgotten. Thanks for reminding me!! I guess I'll just go ahead and get the pistol dies also, when I order. I'll get the dillon manual downloaded. Thanks again!!

Get the 650, auto indexing I find it easy and its my first reloader. One less step to worry about. And right now I use it without the casefeeder.

Are you loading more than one caliber? If not, then the 550 is a better choice (IMO) as the tool head changes are easier, cost less, and not having an auto index press starting out is a plus (again, IMO) as you can back up the index and insert/remove any of the staions, without losing the position.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Finding someone who can get you setup and going will save you a lot of time and effort.

A lot of the information on this site is geared towards the competition shooter. When you start to reload your pistol avoid the temptation to use tightgroup and other fast powders. It is safer to learn with WSF, power pistol or some other medium burn rate powder.

thanks guys. I'll try to respond to each post.

I had thought about the 650 but most of what I read says it's really not necessary, and the auto index doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to most people on the forums i've read. many actually like the 550 better because of being able to easily back up. The question I'd have to ask myself is, for a complete, comparable setup. how much difference would the total price be? without the autofeeder thing. I have read that parts are more expensive for the 650 too. I am about to watch a video of the 650 in operation on video here in a min as i've never saw it in action. I really cant see much advantage n the 650 if there's much of a price difference which I think there is.

I will be doing primarily .40 and .223/5.56 for my ar-15. my brother shoots 9mm and 223/5.56 so i'd be doing some for him also from time to time. I might possibly do another cal. in the future, maybe a 308 or something....but not really likely. my brother also has a 300 ultra mag so that might be a possibility too. I'm definitely gonna have the quick change kits for 40 and 223 with the powder funnels on each. I want to be able to just change the shellplate and the toolhead and go!!! I like quick easy changeovers.

I have some good safety glasses :) I think i'm gonna do a setup order on the 650 with comparable items that I have setup for my 550 order and see what my total price comes to. i bet it's a good bit higher and prob over my budget. the 550 actually is over what i need to spend...lol but I have the money just stingy. :)

oh and i have watched a few setup vids on youtube that show every step of putting the 550 together and setting up the dies etc, VERY helpful stuff!!

FWIW... I was in this same position one month ago. My friends told me to get a 650, when I was more interested in the 550. Did a bunch of reading on this site and some others. I got the 550 easy buy deal from Brian.

It's very beginner friendly. As I loaded my first few dummy rounds and became familiar with the functions and adjustments, I did quite a bit of backing up the index.

I'm only loading .40 and while I *might* load something else in the future, I have no plans to. I will be making a few loads in .40 for different divisions, but that's easily adjusted and I can use the same powder.

The biggest thing is that my first order of bullets (2k) wasn't nearly enough, and now I can't find them anywhere! lol

FWIW... I was in this same position one month ago. My friends told me to get a 650, when I was more interested in the 550. Did a bunch of reading on this site and some others. I got the 550 easy buy deal from Brian.

It's very beginner friendly. As I loaded my first few dummy rounds and became familiar with the functions and adjustments, I did quite a bit of backing up the index.

I'm only loading .40 and while I *might* load something else in the future, I have no plans to. I will be making a few loads in .40 for different divisions, but that's easily adjusted and I can use the same powder.

The biggest thing is that my first order of bullets (2k) wasn't nearly enough, and now I can't find them anywhere! lol

Montana Gold for jacketed bullets, always in stock.

good info facelessman!! I've thought about that myself. I'm gonna call Brian a few min after they open and place my order for $1,153.....gonna hurt but I figure I might as well go ahead and go all out and get everything while I am getting free shipping instead of having to buy it later and pay shipping on this and that, here and there. Ebay and gunbroker stuff is pretty much either the same price plus shipping or higher plus shipping. I'm gonna just go ahead and get press with all of the 223 stuff and the deluxe quick change kit, caliber conversion case gauge etc for my .40, It's gonna have to be a little while before i can stomach buying any powder and bullets.... by then i won't be able to find anything plus the local gun store said metal is about to go through the roof AGAIN and ammo stuff is going way up real soon.........guess i can just look at my setup for a while. It sure is gonna be purdy though!

got my press ordered today! Brian was awesome to talk to. Thanks again Brian! My brother's gonna order a 550 later on and I'll be sure he orders from you. I'll send anybody else here if they're gonna buy dillon stuff. Can't wait to get my press! Thanks to verybody on the forum that helped me too.

Edited by KevenW

not having an auto index press starting out is a plus (again, IMO) as you can back up the index and insert/remove any of the staions, without losing the position.

bingo, as a new reloader I had to do that many time to get back in business after I goofed something.

not having an auto index press starting out is a plus (again, IMO) as you can back up the index and insert/remove any of the staions, without losing the position.

bingo, as a new reloader I had to do that many time to get back in business after I goofed something.

Im still pretty new, only been loading on 650 for a few weeks, but I have not found a need to go backwards. Perhaps you could explain why after you have your load figured and primers filled etc. Why you would have to back up?

starting new to reloading i would recommend the 550. it is user friendly and you can stay at one station, bullet seating for example, until you get it where you want it then do another station until its completed to your satisfaction. the 650 will index it around everytime you pull the handle and you can't back up. if you want to do multiple calibers, buy antoher toolhead and put other set of dies in it and just change out toolheads when you change calibers, except for maybe large to small primers. anyway i have worked with both and 550 is extremely user friendly. learn on this and then maybe step up larger later after you have become proficient. hope this makes sense

• 1 year later...

Ok here is what I'm looking at. I want a dillon 550 most likely, I don't think I'm ready for a 650. I'm just doing some reading and trying to figure out what else I need that I don't already have with what's listed above.

Don't waste your money; no matter what skill level you are get the machine you want to end up with. I just started reloading myself and I started on the Super 1050 against many recommendations to not start with that sophisticated of a machine. All you have to do is buy the instructional DVD for the machine you are purchasing and you will not have any problems. The video instructor literally starts with the boxes that will be shipped to you. He goes thru unpacking everything, to mounting, to assembly, to setting dies, ect... all the way to reloading ammo. It was incredibly helpful, as good as having an experienced reloader standing next to you helping you the whole way thru. It took me no time at all to set up my 1050 and I was working up my loads shortly after.

Had two 550's till last year, sold one moved up to 650. Wish I had done it sooner but the 550 is still the trusted friend that's servied me well for a long time. It's the most user friendly machine to start with and I'll always keep one.

Try and mount it level, moving parts work easier. Alway's operate the machine so you can see the powder in station three before placing the bullet.

It's easier on a run to leave the shell plate loaded, come back and start running.

Someone comes into the loading area stop and finish the conversation then start back.

You'll enjoy your machine for years, Dillon service..........no one does it better. Problem give them a call.