Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What you should be seeing

TWHaz

I am no TT, but I'll give it a shot. Have someone watch your eyes from the side when you shoot to make sure you aren't blinking. I think your answer is at 1:43 in the video. You need to see where the sights are in relation to each other and to the target face when they move at the instant the gun fires. With iron sights the initial "lift" can be very abrupt and violent, especially in comparison to the return. When firing multiple shots the front sight may appear to bounce all over the place depending on how you manage recoil and time the gun. Again, "read" the sights the instant the gun fires.

With an optical sight on an open gun, the trail of the dot is easier to read because the gun shoots flatter. However, at warp drive with an open blaster (splits in the low teens) the dot trail might appear to be a continuous vertical streak as the gun lifts and returns. The important thing to see is the relationship of the dot to the target when it initiates lift off.

I am no TT, but I'll give it a shot. Have someone watch your eyes from the side when you shoot to make sure you aren't blinking. I think your answer is at 1:43 in the video. You need to see where the sights are in relation to each other and to the target face when they move at the instant the gun fires. With iron sights the initial "lift" can be very abrupt and violent, especially in comparison to the return. When firing multiple shots the front sight may appear to bounce all over the place depending on how you manage recoil and time the gun. Again, "read" the sights the instant the gun fires.

With an optical sight on an open gun, the trail of the dot is easier to read because the gun shoots flatter. However, at warp drive with an open blaster (splits in the low teens) the dot trail might appear to be a continuous vertical streak as the gun lifts and returns. The important thing to see is the relationship of the dot to the target when it initiates lift off.

I'll keep working on it. Just test fired a GLock 19 over lunch and I can see the sights at the moment of ignition, but lose them immediately after that. Maybe more practice.

I'll keep working on it. Just test fired a GLock 19 over lunch and I can see the sights at the moment of ignition, but lose them immediately after that. Maybe more practice.

Do you see the front sight lift out of the rear notch? You won't be able to see it go "all the way up," but you can see it lift up for maybe 2 - 3 times the height of the front sight. And then if you keep your eyes open during the entire recoil cycle, you will see it come back down into the notch (from as high as you saw it lift).

be

Yes, I can see the front sight "leap" out of my sight picture and then I lose track of it. However the difference is when the sight comes back down, it tends to be misaligned (left to right) and I have to go find it again. (The red dot in the videos was actually particularly helpful). For my own natural progression this is a where I am stuck--I've learned to be slow accurate, but am having trouble speeding up as i really have to work to find that sight again after an initial shot.

Because of separate issues, I have a lot of trouble with left-right location of the front sight due to very weak eye dominance--a very slight change in alignment of the front sight to my eyes causes the dominant eye to shift for me. (sometimes I give up and just close my left eye during a match--two eye shooting is still very new to me). But there are (rare) occasions where the the sight settles back down to the notch.

The eye dominance issue at the point where I may resort to putting masking tape over one eye on my glasses. The scotch tape isn't enough, or even scotch tape with a big black "X"

Those videos did help quite a bit, perhaps I need an improved grip, as my problem seems to be that my front sight doesn't settle back into the notch.

Edited by Crazy Scientist

Yes, I can see the front sight "leap" out of my sight picture and then I lose track of it. However the difference is when the sight comes back down, it tends to be misaligned (left to right) and I have to go find it again. (The red dot in the videos was actually particularly helpful). For my own natural progression this is a where I am stuck--I've learned to be slow accurate, but am having trouble speeding up as i really have to work to find that sight again after an initial shot.

Because of separate issues, I have a lot of trouble with left-right location of the front sight due to very weak eye dominance--a very slight change in alignment of the front sight to my eyes causes the dominant eye to shift for me. (sometimes I give up and just close my left eye during a match--two eye shooting is still very new to me). But there are (rare) occasions where the the sight settles back down to the notch.

The eye dominance issue at the point where I may resort to putting masking tape over one eye on my glasses. The scotch tape isn't enough, or even scotch tape with a big black "X"

Those videos did help quite a bit, perhaps I need an improved grip, as my problem seems to be that my front sight doesn't settle back into the notch.

The grip- that's it. exactly. The combination of grip and stance will get the front sight back in the notch. I read an article in one of the gun mags a year or two ago by Duane Thomas that showed how to get that result. "Guns & Ammo Handguns", I think.

Chuck

The grip- that's it. exactly. The combination of grip and stance will get the front sight back in the notch. I read an article in one of the gun mags a year or two ago by Duane Thomas that showed how to get that result. "Guns & Ammo Handguns", I think.

Chuck

+2 to that. Burkett's timing drills would be good to fine tune your stance and grip too.

be

I didn't have much luck finding links to Duane's article or the timing drills on Mark Burkett's website. Anyone have any leads. I know that Duane is a regular on the BE forums so I hope he drops by. This is a great thread.

Did anyone else notice the gun hang in the first video as seen through TT's eyes, on the sixth shot when he goes to reload. The gun comes up in recoil and never comes down. It looks like when it comes up in recoil he does the reload immediately before the gun comes back down.

I really wish those goggles he is using were available to us all. That would be a fantastic training tool.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...