Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COF Strategy

pjb45

I just shot WSSSC. I was on a great squad again with several excellent shooters and some like me, not so excellent. Some I have known for a while and some new to me.

I noticed a willingness of everyone on the squad to talk and share shooting strategies. One person would say, "here is how I would shoot it, but you might want to do it this way." Or "this would be the fastest way and this would be the safest way." One of the later stages, you had bascially 4 shooting areas, one area required running in and then reloading why running back out (up range). One GM said, start here, run all the way over there then finish the last two positions. He said "it was the same number of steps but you will not slow down for the one reload and you wil not break the 180." I never would have thought of it. I ran it like he said and posted a very good time.

The same thing occurred at SSNationals the past couple of years. Everyone helped each other out with planning, strategy and kidding. It made for an awesome time.

This willingness to talk about the stage not only made the match much more enjoyable but it improved my performance.

I think all to often in our local matches we do not encourage enough COF strategy discussions either pre or post shooting. I remember vividly Scott Springer (Springer Precision) saying "why did you do it that way? A standing reload from one spot would have been faster than shooting from two spots."

I would encourage you to ask your squadmates about their COF strategy, it will improve both your shooting scores.

Edited by pjb45

Paul: It is always great to talk to other shooters to see how they are going to shoot it. On the other hand you have to be willing to listen and then decide which way is better for you to shoot it. If you are a lesser shooter than some that you are shooting with, sometimes they can do things that we can't do yet :surprise: I have seen some amazing things done and thought there is no way I can do that. I have tried but fall a little short :roflol: I do agree that even at the local club match guys can learn from each other and should try to squad with guys shooting the same division. I am always trying different things with my pistols and my strategies. I learn everytime out and have a notebook I keep so I can remember for the next time. We have some very good shooters here and I have learned alot from them even you :devil: Thanks, Eric

I tend to keep to myself, not because I see something no one else does, but because, I like to get my strategy in my head, so I can start the memory process. Talking with others, this way, that way, tends to throw me, then when time to shoot, I don't do it anyway I rehearsed or talked about.

I guess it really depends on how helpful the other shooters may be, or the COF at hand. Don't get me wrong I talk to others during the match.

Eric about the only thing you learn from my stages is usually Accuracy Counts. :surprise: Two Nationals in a row, Doni Spencer walked some stages with me. She was Open Champion. Her stage breakdown analysis was awesome. I am a big fan of talking things over.

• 1 month later...

Stage strategy is one of my weaknesses I have to admit, so talking things over with people in my squad is always good. Sometimes though one way to shoot a stage seems to make more sense than another - it may be easier to remember, or, more natural in its feel. I'm a firm believer in listening to yourself and doing what feels natural. It may not be the most efficient but you won't leave a target somewhere lacking attention.

After a match try to set up some drills that simulate the course of fire, or at least the movement requirements, and run it a few different ways to see what the difference is.

One drill I do which is good for prop manipulation is this: set up two boxes 4 meters apart. in between place a barrel or table and place a tin can on it and down range place a single target at 7m. On the first string, start unloaded, from box A on the start signal you must remove the can from barrel and shoot two rounds on the target from box B, for the second string from box B shoot two rounds on the target then move to box A and remove the can from the stick on the way again but this time perform a reload and from box A shoot two rounds on the target. If I place the two boxes with one down range of the other I will do the second string as a movement backwards from B to A with a reload but without knocking the can off the barrel and then on string three I'll do a movement forward with the can to be knocked off and a mandatory reload.

All of this helps you develop a decision making process for dealing with props (opening doors, activating props manually or retrieving items) with a reload.

Now there are several ways you can run this. Since the movement between the boxes is short doing two things at once is difficult. For the movement forward unloaded you have a few options, try them all, you can A: Load and rack the gun before knocking the can, I will get the mag in the gun while standing static and then rack on the first step, and then shoot from box B. B: Load the mag into the gun on the first step, knock the can off and then rack while entering Box B and engage the target. C) Run and knock the can off then insert mag and rack while entering box B. D: (alternative to C: ) grab the mag but don't insert it, knock the can, insert and rack as you enter box B. Run these a few times to see which is quicker for you, but remember each way may have its merits depending on distances and what the prop is, or if the prop activates something it would depend on how long it takes for the activation to start the prop or target. By being able to do each of these methods you have more tools in your tool bag when you get to a match.

On a run backwards you have three options, A: reload and then run back. B: run back and then reload or C: grab the mag from the pouch and run back and insert it when you get to box A. Run each of these a few times.

And similarily the reload with a prop you can either A: deal with the Prop and then reload. B: reload and then deal with the prop or C: Grab the mag, deal with the prop and then reload. Again run each of these a few times to see what works but keep each version in your tool bag for different occasions, there is not always one best way.

Think up similar drills to experiment with other things you see in matches.

Sharing can help all. I've noticed on several occasions that the person that shared their plan did not shoot their plan. I know of one individual, a big Dawg that seems to find a lot of amusement in selling you a plan he knows is frought with failure. I do think there is much to be learned by taking video of your own execution of a plan on a stage and that of a top shooter on the same stage and seeing where it is that you took the knap.

A few years ago Taran shared a COF strategy with me. I rocked that stage. He has done this several times with me and the results are pretty much the same=huge improvement.

I have found the TGO is incredible with his unselfish attitude. He constantly helps others on his squad. He has said, I will shoot it this way, the safest way for your to shoot is this way or you can shoot it this third way. It is a real learning experience.

Angus is another one who is very generous with his strategies. I was with him years ago at the Mid-Coast Dual Championship. He finished the match early, then stuck around and gave 10 folks a lesson on how to shoot at least three stages. At the WSSSC he told me while at the 50 yard line to aim here, put the wood within the rear sight and do not worry. Make up your shots on the weak hand yard line. I am just a B shooter but I think I was 14 on that stage.

I watched the Super Squad in Tulsa one year as I was on the opposite schedule. Those guys were constantly sharing strategies with each other.

All I can say, there are a lot of folks that continue to help me improve as a shooter mostly via dialoging about the stage.

A wise man once told me "I will tell you everything you need to know to beat me, but you still have to beat me." And I've always followed that advice. I'll help you with your stage plan, I'll show you exactly what I'm gonna do, and why I'm gonna do it. Because if you execute the plan and beat me at my own game, then good on ya for shooting so excellent! All I can do is shoot my best next time.

Some times I see sharing stage plans as a double edges sword. I will be the first person to tell anyone what my stage plan is down to the very last detail. The way I see it, in the end it always comes down to who is able to execute their plan the best and not so much the plan its self. So who cares if someone uses your stage plan which may or may not be better than theirs? They still have to execute it better than you. A major thing that a lot of people forget to add to the equation is the inherent strengths or weaknesses of the shooter breaking down the stage. I usually tell people to share stage plans with others that have a close skills base to themselves.

But I have had it happen a couple of times where a mid level class shooter will ask me what my stage plan is for a highly technical stage and I will ask them if they want my plan or what I think is a better plan for their skill level and they balk at being given a different plan than what I am going to use. To me this is a little confusing because I know if they try to shoot the stage in the same way as me they will crash and burn because their skills are not to a level to support my stage plan yet. But I guess this is just part of giving your opinion about something. Some people just don’t like hearing the truth I guess.

Edited by CHA-LEE

. . .

But I have had it happen a couple of times where a mid level class shooter will ask me what my stage plan is for a highly technical stage and I will ask them if they want my plan or what I think is a better plan for their skill level ...

If it were me, I'd want to hear both! :cheers:

I'd just tell them the risky plan then, watch them crash and burn and then tell them what the safer way to do it would have been. On the next stage I'll see if they want to play again...lol

On the other hand I've seen some D and C class shooters come up with some great plans and watched M's ignore them because it was a lower class shooter that came up with it.

• 2 weeks later...
...I will ask them if they want my plan or what I think is a better plan for their skill level and they balk at being given a different plan...

I like to go with something more along the lines of "here's how I'm going to shoot it, but it's risky because it involves (1) finishing 1-for-1 on a texas star (2) shooting that star on the move and (3)doing it weak-hand-only while dragging a dummy and falling out of bounds. If you don't know for certain you can pull it off, there's a safer way."

I don't even bring up skill level. Just that I'm doing something risky (and likely stupid, because at club level matches I do it a lot) and that there's another way that a saner person might wish to investigate.

:D :D

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I really enjoyed sharing strategies - that was a big part of the fun for me. And if I got beat by a shooter that I gave my strategy to, my feling was that I was beaten because he shot the stage better, not because I gave him my strategy.

be