Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub freezing weather

Strick

I was born and raised in MD, spent 4 years outside Chicago so below freezing weather is not something new. But what I hate is 36 hours low 20's (or less) in Houston, not because of the mere fact it is cold but because houses here aren't designed for it. No basements and all my water lines go through the attic.

I keep waiting for it to be raining, or sleeting, in the house.

We went to Emergency Evacuation Plan Alpha and were ready to bug out to Jamaica this morning. Had the bags in the truck when the little space heater I had on the water line to the house finally thawed it out.

We were without water for nearly an hour! :surprise:

I did have bottled water (for the token shot of coffee) in my Baileys.... so I was not panic stricken... :cheers:

There will be thousands of water damage insurance claims here in the S TX. area from frozen pipes.... We are just not geared for "cold weather" survival....

I lived in Houston .....back in the late 70s or early 80's there was a 2 week period that the temp. never hit 32 and a couple nights the low was in the single digits. It stretched over the Christmas holiday season.... so thousands of yankees were "up North" for the holiday.

Thousands of homes had frozen pipes.... hell there were even city water mains frozen. River Oaks one of the most expensive (and ritzy) areas in the U. S. had no water for 10 days--- my boss lived there. His maid brought in water from the swimming pool to boil for baths. :rolleyes:

One of my neighbors and I cruised our sub-division looking for houses with water running out under the doors or in some cases out the first floor windows.'''so we could shut off their water outdoors for them.

It was terrible because like the OP stated... plumbing and in some cases even water heaters were in the attic above the insulation. Once the pipes broke all the insulation got soaked and then the drywall ceilings on the second floor started to cave in.Some people came home to find 24" of ice in their ground floor. :sick:

Edited by MichiganShootist

It has barely broken 20 the last few days here in Fort Worth. The main problem here is the 2 plus inches of ice on the roads....

Even more dangerous are the idiots that try to drive "normally" on the ice...and/or those that creep along at 2 MPH and slam on their brakes anytime they feel their wheels lose traction....which causes them to *gasp*....lose traction and slide even more... :wacko:

I was born and raised in MD, spent 4 years outside Chicago so below freezing weather is not something new. But what I hate is 36 hours low 20's (or less) in Houston, not because of the mere fact it is cold but because houses here aren't designed for it. No basements and all my water lines go through the attic.

That won't happen till it warms up. I got water, but my drains were frozen under the house. So the wife decided to run the washing machine with hot water. You gessed it I got a log jam in the bath tub. Today all the drains except the master shower are running, but does this mean the drain pipe broke and I got a river full of logs under the house. She thinks I should crawl under with a hair dryer and thaw it out, I think it can thaw out Saturday when I'm at the Carbine Match!

She thinks I should crawl under with a hair dryer and thaw it out, I think it can thaw out Saturday when I'm at the Carbine Match!

I think your plan is the better of the 2. :D

For some reason I am obsessing over it. It might be because we moved into the house and a month later Ike decided to give us a house warming present............a shingle-less roof. It took me 6 months or so to stop "walking the perimeter" ever time it rained. :D

I'm stuck in Houston and Live near Ft Worth. I feel the pain of everyone that has bitched on this post... :roflol:

It was supposed to snow today so my flight canceled...Now I'm stuck in the Hilton with a room service cart full of beer...hey what am I bitching about??? :sight:

Wife and I were suppose to leave this evening for Baytown for wedding this weekend but forecast for Houston, Dallas, OK City and NE Kansas calls for snow. It's a 13 hr trip when I drive 70 plus on I35/45 to get there. Don't feel like driving all day Sunday to get back home.

It's ALL due to..... "the warming".

ph34r.gif

No, now its called "Climate Change" lol

yes, this sucks! all the roads are shut down. 3 million people stuck in their homes! and a few driving, and getting into accidents. Right now its 32 degrees and Yes we will be shooting on Sudnday in 62 degree weather. Like they say in texas, if you don't like the weather just wait a while, because it will change. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

And now I might have to go into work tomorrow because the weather broke a bunch of stuff....that will cause me to miss a match AND tax appointment that is difficult to reschedule.

Thinking I might HAVE to say "no" to my boss.

Perhaps I can ease your mind. If your lines are under insulation, there's little chance they will freeze unless the temps remain low for several days. This is especially true when you live in the house and are using water (moving water freezes much later). Additionally, since heat tends to rise, the heat from the house will help keep them warm. If on the other hand they are above the insulation, you may have issues and may want to leave a faucet or two trickling to keep the water moving.