Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody have a Commander in Super or 9x23

G-ManBart

This is sort of a 1911 question, sort of a Gear and Accessories question, and sort of a gunsmithing question, so I wasn't sure which was forum would be best....please move if it should be somewhere else.

Okay, I'm looking to build a Commander sized gun in 9x23 (already have some of the parts) and I'm just not sure about the sights. I did searches in all of the possible forums here, plus normal web searches, without much luck. As of right now, I think I'm going to use either a Novak or Heinie fixed rear, and the front sight cut is a Novak dovetail, so I have quite a few options there.

My plan is for this to be purely a carry piece for around the house, yard, etc. I intend to use either Cor-Bon's 125gr DPX, or Self-Defense 125gr JHP. Those are listed at 1350fps and 1450fps respectively. I'll simply go with whichever one the gun seems to like the best. The .38 Super 125gr DPX load is also listed at 1350fps, and the SD 125gr JHP is shown at 1325fps, so I figured if someone has one in Super, and has tried either of those two loads, it would put me in the ballpark.

Anybody out there have a Commander in either Super or 9x23, and if so, have you used ammo roughly similar to those mentioned? If so, what rear and front sight setup are you using...i.e. how tall is the front, which version rear (standard, super low etc) are you using?

Edit to add: If anybody is interested, the plan right now is a Caspian Ti frame, drop it off with Doug Jones, for Accu-Rails, then to Derek at Millennium for everything else. I'm still uncertain about finish...considering leaving the frame bare, just bead-blasted, since Ti doesn't corrode. Something along these lines:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17705&view=findpost&p=208004

Edited by G-ManBart

I have had two of the hot-rod caliber Commanders. Ended up with the Officer's height sight in the front, and a MMC Novak-profile adjustable rear (the one with the solid steel "wings" protecting the blade inside, with the blade cranked all the way up). Both of mine seemed to like a very low front and a fairly tall back.

The other Commander (in .45 ACP, but otherwise functionally identical) has standard fixed Novak Commander sights front and rear, so no odd height issues with the "lob a subsonic lug nut" chambering...

Alex

Chris:Why would you Accurail it when you could just use a carbon slide and have the slide hard chromed? I would also just install a Tripp rear sight since they are so great :cheers: The Novak adjustable I installed on my Kimber works great also. Sounds like a fun pistol. I am almost finished my IDPA 4.180" bull barreled commander 2011 in 9mm. It is alot of fun to shoot and will be legal for ESP with the 4.180" barrel length :devil: Keep us posted on your project and buy lots of titanium parts for it. Thanks, Eric

getting the front sight perfect is gonna be tough , especially with a less than mainstream caliber. I used a 1.165 with Novak rear on a 9mm commander. Geenrally I just use whatever front sight I have in the parts bin and make a trimmable sight out of electrical tape over that, Then trim to zero, mike and you're all set.

I have had two of the hot-rod caliber Commanders. Ended up with the Officer's height sight in the front, and a MMC Novak-profile adjustable rear (the one with the solid steel "wings" protecting the blade inside, with the blade cranked all the way up). Both of mine seemed to like a very low front and a fairly tall back.

That fits with the little bit I've been able to dig up...short fronts seem to be the order of the day, and I've seen at least one or two companies that make slightly taller rear sights for the same reason. Thanks,

Chris:Why would you Accurail it when you could just use a carbon slide and have the slide hard chromed? I would also just install a Tripp rear sight since they are so great :cheers: The Novak adjustable I installed on my Kimber works great also. Sounds like a fun pistol. I am almost finished my IDPA 4.180" bull barreled commander 2011 in 9mm. It is alot of fun to shoot and will be legal for ESP with the 4.180" barrel length :devil: Keep us posted on your project and buy lots of titanium parts for it. Thanks, Eric

Well, I don't know what finish I want, but if I go with keeping the frame natural, hard chrome on the slide would be ugly. I'm thinking some sort of black/blue finish for the slide, but haven't completely decided. For that reason, doing rails on the frame/slide is almost a no-brainer...and because I can just hand it to Doug, and it will only cost about $50 more than a normal frame/slide fit would. That way I don't have to worry about the round count...no galling, and if it ever loosens up, pop a new set of rails in it.

The slide has Novak cuts, so the Tripp is out. I'm not a super big fan of adjustable rear sights on carry guns, and I just realized that the rear cut for the Novak adjustable is different....so many variations!. I've got time, so I figured kicking it around might come up with some ideas from the smart folks here! R,

Edited by G-ManBart

getting the front sight perfect is gonna be tough , especially with a less than mainstream caliber. I used a 1.165 with Novak rear on a 9mm commander. Geenrally I just use whatever front sight I have in the parts bin and make a trimmable sight out of electrical tape over that, Then trim to zero, mike and you're all set.

Something like that is probably going to be necessary. My concern is that I won't have a carry gun like this without night sights....I know, not everybody believes in them, but I can prove it 100% of the time, if given the opportunity to do so. I think I may end up having to do something like you're suggesting, then simply order a front to match....with isn't terrible, other than wasting time. R,

I agree with the front tritium but they are kinda pricey to experiment with, I believe Brownells carries a .400 square novak cut height that is under $20, Id put that one and be certain of front height before ordering. Sight sets dont seem to ever work out for me.

I agree with the front tritium but they are kinda pricey to experiment with, I believe Brownells carries a .400 square novak cut height that is under $20, Id put that one and be certain of front height before ordering. Sight sets dont seem to ever work out for me.

Yeah, definitely don't want to be cutting on a tritium front! Experimenting with a blank to get it right seems like a smart move...what's $20 at this point? :lol:

I have a novak 160 tritium front that came off my 9mm commander the tritium vial broke so now it is basically a veteran white dot yours for the asking, PM me your address I'll stick it in an envelope and mail it to you. Might need a little loctight but it will let you know what you need,

:wub:

I use a 38 super officers model ,it is a relly nice shooter, I have mmc ajustable rear sight and a 0.135 front sight

both tritium, I used a 38 super barrel cut to length the barrel was a hybrid barrel and I used the left over part of the

hybred notch to fit it up in the slide like a bushing, This little gun will print groups of 2 inch or less at

30 yars with just about any bullet weight I have loaded in 38 super comp.

I have one of cylinder and slides safety fast hammer set ups in it. Brownells sells these now, The one I put in was

one of the first ones. Ive hand the gun for years and carry it all the time. Its a honey. :rolleyes:

Jikm/Pa

sailors

You might check with Jim Garthwaite as he has been a big advocate of this caliber in the commander sized guns and has built many. He does very nice work also.

Cool...thanks for the tip. I checked his website, and the first picture in the gallery is a 9x23 Commander...go figure! His gunsmithing class also looks pretty interesting. R,

Kinda depends on your slide, and how high your smith locks up the barrel.

I take a standard sight to the range, shoot some groups, see where they hit relative to point of aim, and then see if theres a stock sight that somebody makes thats close to the necessary height. If not, I cut down a OS sight and get it drilled for a vial.

• 4 weeks later...

I have several Government size 1911's in 9x23, love the caliber. A friend mentioned to me that I could shoot 9x19 (9 mm) in the 9x23 pistols without problems. I tried it and it shot extremely well, but the surprise was the point of impact was almost the same out to 15 yards or so. I didn't try at longer distance, but it was pretty darn close at the distance shot.

The point of the above information is that I had a custom STI (aluminum frame) 9 mm Commander length carry gun built a year or two ago. I had planned to have a 9x23 barrel fitted to it also, however, just didn't get around to it. I spoke with my gunsmith a couple of weeks ago and he is going to get a barrel and fit it to my pistol. I have a Fixed Heinie rear sight and .190 front sight. I don't intend to change the front sight height because I believe that point of aim and impact will be very close. Most of the time I shoot 125 grain +P Gold Dots or 127 grain Winchester +P+. The pistol weighs 26 ounces and has very little recoil. 9x23 should be sweet!

Good Luck

Buddy

I have a colt commander in 9mm that i put together a 38 super barrel and originl bomar night nights with the rear being adjustable with hash mark night sights. I can swith from either caliber without changing point of aim with same bullet weights 125JHP.

being an all steel pistol its a sweetheart to shoot.

9mm Commander

White dot, "Wide Notch" Novak rear (I call'em "geezer" sights) which fit the original, factory dovetail.

Dawson FO fronts because the Dawson folks custom fitted one of their narrow, front FO's to allow for a little room on each side when viewed from the wide-notch rears. (And they didn't charge me for the installation when I sent my slide to them! The dovetail was already cut for a Novak that didn't fit right and was just too large.)

Maybe you can see them in these pics:

DSCN3876-1.jpg

Link to just the top of the slide:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Colt%20Combat%20Commander%20II/DSCN4030.jpg

Hope this helps.

btw: Another thing to consider is some of the FO sights are sharp-edged and will cut a small piece of leather or plastic when you draw. Sometimes it cuts a piece that is just the right size to block the edge of the fiber optic insert.

Edited by doc540