Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9mm or Glock 34 for production

JMIS

It's all about how it feels in your hand. Try them both if you get a chance and see which one you shoot better. I own a G34 and love it. My friend has the M&P pro and I also really like how it feels in my hand. The grip of the pro has a more ergonomic fit for my hand and a bit smaller than the glock. The beavertail on the pro is a very nice feature, it allows for a very high comfortable grip. But everyone is going to tell you something different. They both have a natural point of aim, but more so with the pro (in my opinion). I can reload much faster with my G34 though and with some skate tape I consistently get a better grip with it.

So again, I believe it all comes down to comfort.

Hope that helped ; )

In case anybody is wondering, there already is a poll on G34 versus M&P, and a separate thread discussing the same topic....

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83736&view=findpost&p=967053

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109589&view=findpost&p=1244720

Edited by G-ManBart

G34 has been WELL proven. Lots of accessories, easy to work on. Maybe not the best ergos but that is easily trained through.

I didn't think you can add accessories to a production gun?

I used to shoot a G34 but switched to the M&P. THe M&P feels more natural to point. My hands are fairly muscular and I have a permanant scar from the slide bite of the glock. The M&P doesn't do that. The M&P with a few trigger mods just felt and shoots better for me. Find an indoor range that rents and try them both - each person is different, find what fits you.

From the all seeing and knowing eye himself....Flexmoney.

For Production division...

The Glock is like Coke...dominant.

There is no Pepsi (yet). There are a lot of Dr. Peppers.

Jim

With over a 20yr headstart the Glock will no doubt have a larger following than the M&P. But the M&P has garnered quite a following in the 5 or so years its been out, and for good reason. For some it picks up where Glock left off, and has some refinements to ergonomics that make it a better fit.

Try both and see which fits and points more naturally and let that be your guide. They are both great guns.

JMIS- certain accessories are allowed for production. For instance, you could add new sights, lots of trigger parts, ext. mag and slide release, aftermarket barrel, grip tape or grip stippling, guide rods and springs, etc.. Not all mods are legal but you could easily take a $500 glock and put in another $500 in accessories. Believe me, they certainly aren't necessary nor even worth your money. A glock 34 with a 3.5lb connector, wolff spring kit, and new dawson sights will only cost you about $85 extra and you'd have a VERY competitive gun.

Edited by Z-man

M&P pros we have 2, they have been excellent, the only mod was a trigger job by DB.

We chose the M&P because it is pointable especially if you have shot any 1911 platform, the grip angle of a glock is different but can be learned. You also do realize the glock 34 is longer than 5", 5.32 according to their website.

You really have to try both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I had an M&P 9pro, shot production, and sold it after about a year. I never really fell in love. I personally like the glock more, and am thinking of a g35 now, albeit for limited. They're both great guns, you will have to try them out to see what you like more.

If I could vote 10 times for the Glock 34 I would.

Like others have said, different people will have different opinions.

My opinion is, my Pro was terribly unreliable with only minor tweaking. I had to send it back to S&W because it would not extract, etc..

Is my experience unique? Maybe but probably not.

Is the M&P a good gun? Maybe. Could be. might be.

Is the G34 a good gun? Absolutely.

I have shot my 34 an entire season and it has NEVER failed to do what guns are supposed to do. Work! And it has all the mods that some say will make it puke.(Vanek Trigger, Lightened striker, 4lb striker spring, 13 lb recoil spring)

Even starting out in Production, reliability is everything.

Some things stick with you forever and for this reason I'll never recommend an M&P.

Of Course YMMV.

My preferences are the mirror image of Sarge.

The Glock is like holding onto a 2x4, and the factory trigger is awful.

I have had the M&P Pro 5" 9mm since it was first available, and it has proven just as reliable as any other gun I've ever owned.

A 5" M&P with good sights, a good trigger job, and maybe some grip tape, is all you need to be competitive in production division.

The Glock 34 is more popular (now) and so the combination of springs, etc., that make them run well are well known and published on the forum.

I have tried for years to like the Glock. I've owned no less than four of them. It's just not for me, and it may not be for you either.

The M&P is more like a 1911 than any other striker fired gun I've shot, so it is the clear choice for me.

I voted Glock 34. Since I carried one, and shot it in competition, for about five years I'd feel foolish not choosing it. The performance was just too good. Having said that, you didn't make Glock 17 a choice, and if you had I would have voted for that over the Glock 34. It's a generally less expensive, more readily concealable (if like me your match gun is also your carry gun) option, and in my testing the shooting performance between the two is pretty much identical.

Deja vu....we've had this discussion a couple of times, the same people post the same things, in the end, the numbers worked out the same, and this won't be any different.

You are right Bart. You have posted this before as well and you will again next time. As long as people keep asking for opinions they are going to get them. There is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop it.

These questions are easy enough to ignore if you don't want to "suffer" through them.

I checked out both guns today and decided to go with the M&P.

Sorry if my question or questions get guys worked up around here. This will be my first full year of competition shooting. I went to a couple different shoots last year and was not prepared with the correct gear... that sucks.

:cheers:

Ask your questions! That's what this place is for, to learn. I would recommend you run the Pro completely stock for awhile until you get quite a few rounds through it. Then make minor changes one at a time and run it for a few matches before making any more. This way when it possibly quits running right you should be able to figure out what causes it.

When you want it worked on Dan Burwell is the man to call. He is a vendor on this forum. Speed Shooters Specialty generally has the most parts for M&P's. They are vendors here as well.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Deja vu....we've had this discussion a couple of times, the same people post the same things, in the end, the numbers worked out the same, and this won't be any different.

You are right Bart. You have posted this before as well and you will again next time. As long as people keep asking for opinions they are going to get them. There is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop it.

These questions are easy enough to ignore if you don't want to "suffer" through them.

I was only pointing out that when we see questions like this, the answer doesn't seem to change...after multiple pages on the other G34 V M&P poll, it would be shocking to see a new revelation. I've actually skipped lots that were similar ;)

Bottom line, they are both proven guns. You have to handle them to see what's going to work best. For me, the angle of Glock grips is WAY less than desirable. When I bring the gun up and establish my comfortable NPA, the sights are no where NEAR lined up. The front sight is pointing up towards the sky. On a Sig P226, M&P, or my 1911, the problem vanishes. I have never actually TAKEN the angle measurement, so it could be a grip issue, but that just goes to show that you have to hold and preferably shoot them both!