Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Q&A Poll, to stop spammers

As I'm sure some of you have noticed, the number of spammers posting has increased dramatically recently.

I've implemented several changes in the ACP that should help eliminate these asshats.

One feature that is now in place - a new member now has to answer a question correctly to complete the registration. And there can be more than one question.

Currently, to stop spam bots (not humans) - I have: What is 2 plus 5? Answers: 7, seven, Seven.

But we're still getting human spammer signing up.

So I'm looking for a question that wouldn't stop a legitimate member from registering, but might possibley stop a spammer from signing up.

A few we've come with so far:

What animal is known as man's best friend?

What is the name of the host of this forum?

What company first produced the 1911 auto pistol?

Thoughts and suggestions from the benosverse will be appreciated.

be

The questions you have posed are researchable and answers can be found easily. It is a conundrum, I agree. In retrospect, I don't think there is much you can do against "human spammers" if they are determined except catch them on their first attempt and ban them. Hopefully some of the members of the Forum can come up with some good ideas.

The questions you have posed are researchable and answers can be found easily. It is a conundrum, I agree. In retrospect, I don't think there is much you can do against "human spammers" if they are determined except catch them on their first attempt and ban them. Hopefully some of the members of the Forum can come up with some good ideas.

Yeah but if you make the question too tough you may lock out some of the newer shooters who are wanting to come in to get answers to the type of question posted.

Very good.. Or.. What is our host's nickname on the Forum?

But then you would have to have been on the forum before to know that.

True most questions asked can be found if searched for, but if a spammer has to work for it they will most likely go elsewhere.

How about limit the number of post the new member can start/reply to during a set number of days. Kind of like vetting out new members before giving them full privileges. If their posts show spam material you will limit it to just a few before you can ban them,and a current member can vouch for a new member bypassing the introductory period.

Unfortunately anything you do will require extra work for the admin team. Damn Spammers!!!

MDA

How about limit the number of post the new member can start/reply to during a set number of days. Kind of like vetting out new members before giving them full privileges. If their posts show spam material you will limit it to just a few before you can ban them,and a current member can vouch for a new member bypassing the introductory period.

Unfortunately anything you do will require extra work for the admin team. Damn Spammers!!!

MDA

It's a bummer you gotta go through this at all, but I like this approach better than the question. Believe it or not I didn't always know who JMB was. Would it be a huge job to make a probationary period for new members? Maybe a spammer wouldn't wait 30 days to post.

Thanks for putting up with this stuff and working on it.

Kevin

Is there a quick easy way to bring a spam post to the mods attention?

Do we have a safe word?

I just copy the thread link, check which Mods are showing active at the bottom of the main page, and send one a PM with the title "Spam Alert"....I think they're getting tired of seeing those from me :P

Edited by G-ManBart

What countries are most of the spam coming from? US IP Addresses.. or ??

I am a mod on our club forum and spammers were just killing us. It has taken me a while but have started to get some good access list to block country we get the most from. UK, China turkey. This are just a few. I think we are up to 7 pages of access list and each page has about 30 list each. We still get about 3 to 4 request to join a day. I just research their IP hostname username and email address. And ban anyone that even looks like they may be a spammer. It suck but it has been nice not have any post on out fourm since I started this.

Keep your _____ off of the trigger until you are ready to fire.

"Finger"

"finger"

"trigger finger"

"Trigger Finger"

"trigger Finger"

"Trigger Finger"

If you don't know this, you should not be on this forum (yet). :)

Edited by DyNo!

Is there a quick easy way to bring a spam post to the mods attention?

Do we have a safe word?

I just copy the thread link, check which Mods are showing active at the bottom of the main page, and send one a PM with the title "Spam Alert"....I think they're getting tired of seeing those from me :P

We're not. Over the weekend it was bad enough, that for a few moments I considered pinning a thread in announcements, and asking members to link any spam reports there....

Then some of my colleagues did a lot of heavy lifting, and a few tweaks to the controls, and the situation got somewhat manageable....

Most of them that I have seen have external links in their first post... Is there any way to disable the function to allow links for other sites, pictures, video's or polls until they hit 10 or more regular posts. I think many of them would get bored long before then.

I think there is also a 'Report' function that allows a member to report a post to the Administrators/Mods if they think that the post violates the forum rules. I'm not sure if this is switched on or not.

Edited by BritinUSA

Keep your _____ off of the trigger until you are ready to fire.

"Finger"

"finger"

"trigger finger"

"Trigger Finger"

"trigger Finger"

"Trigger Finger"

If you don't know this, you should not be on this forum (yet). :)

I like that one - universal enough even the newest of shooters should be able to answer it, but those of the more repressed countries may not.

On a few other forums I am on, they make you wait 24hrs to post for the first time - PITA if you have a knowledgeable question to ask (or answer), but if it is worth posting, it is worth the wait.