Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What dummy rounds?

The A-zooms I have have all of the paint flaking off of them from a few months of use. It leaves the shavings in my guns - not anything harmful but just annoying for someone as OCD as I am. I would much prefer a non-painted hard plastic design over these.

YMMV, however.

Edited by DonovanM

I loaded a bunch of dummies myself - popped out the old primer, made the shells like normal, just left the powder out.

I do seal the crimps with clear silicon, just keeps the pellets from spilling out when they hit the floor repeatedly. I used my normal 7 1/2 shot, using bigger shot would solve this too

Costs about $3, or less, for 25.

I looked at those from Brownells, I wasn't sure if they were anymore durable than the rounds I loaded. I probably will try to load some more of my own dummies, can't beat the cost.

Does anyone know which hulls have the hardest brass? The problem is my FN tears up the base and creates a groove which hangs up and won't eject onto the lifter from the tube when the bolt cycles. <_<

For you guys who bought the dummies from brownells, Is the base made of brass or something harder?

I looked at those from Brownells, I wasn't sure if they were anymore durable than the rounds I loaded. I probably will try to load some more of my own dummies, can't beat the cost.

Does anyone know which hulls have the hardest brass? The problem is my FN tears up the base and creates a groove which hangs up and won't eject onto the lifter from the tube when the bolt cycles. <_<

For you guys who bought the dummies from brownells, Is the base made of brass or something harder?

They seem to be brass, and do get beat up. I do not have a shotgun reloader so have no other means other than buying them. I do consider them disposable and feel I would rather beat the dummy up rather than use something harder that may beat the gun up. I do not look at them as bieng all that expensive. They do last quite a while and I have certainly spent more money on less usefull things.

One thing I do also, is file the rough spots when they start hanging up. This can extend their usefullness a little.

They are made of steel

They are made of steel

I think you are correct. I have tried plastic dummy shells and the A-zooms. Those only last a couple of weeks. I have had a box of the Brownell ones for about a year and they are just now getting some wear on them.

You guys are right, my bad. they are steel. I confused the Brownells/remington ones I have with some others I have that are brass. Easy to do as those steel ones seem to have a copper wash to them before the black coating is applied.

I always make my own. When they get trashed I just make some more.

same here. I just write "INERT" on the side with a sharpie. it get's worn off and then you just write it again, can get through quite a few cycles before they become so beat I have to retire them. With the high cost of lead shot (vs. the low cost of 100 pack value-mart winchester 12ga), making these is pretty much all i use my MEC for these days...

The problem is my FN tears up the base and creates a groove which hangs up and won't eject onto the lifter from the tube when the bolt cycles. <_<

I had the same problem in my SLP with the ones from Brownell's. The Fiocchi ones seem to be holding up better in it.

I need some too. Problem is, my gun is a Remington so the only way to remove shells from the magazine tube is by cycling them through the action. Would those Brownell's ones hold up the best?

Thats how I cycle them thru my Benelli when practicing. They have held up very well. Much longer than my old home made ones.

I need some too. Problem is, my gun is a Remington so the only way to remove shells from the magazine tube is by cycling them through the action. Would those Brownell's ones hold up the best?

Thats how I cycle them thru my Benelli when practicing. They have held up very well. Much longer than my old home made ones.

Same here. I ran them through my Remington for a year and now through my Benelli for the last 3 months. Just starting to see some wear.