Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

629, 624, and 657s

Merlin Orr

I had this one for a little while. So little recoil that it was actually kind of boring to shoot.

SandWM24.jpg

I sold it to buy a 696... which I ended up trading towards a custom rifle.

Part of the reasoning was I have a .44 Mountain gun which I love, so the others were a bit redundant with less versatility.

Kind of regret not having either of them now, don't regret having the rifle.

Edited by cas

Merlin,

I've got a 6 inch 657 It shoots wonderful !!!

It doesn't beat my hand up like the 44 and 454 does, but does a wonderful job on whitetail (two and 4 legged) ;)

If you don't find a 3 inch 44/357 you can always go with the 610 and shoot 10mm through it (ballisticly similar to 41 mag minus just a little)

Hope you find one to enjoy.

HOP

A friend just found (and bought me) a mechanically nice Model 19 that I think I will chop and bob to around ~3" and put C&S or similar sights on and use as an IDPA BUG gun...

But as I said I want a big nasty motor skooter to amaze my friends with at the indoor range with huge fireballs and headache type muzzle blast concussions.

I refuse to grow up!

I carry a ported 3" 629 Trail Boss. I even shot my agency's handgun qualification course with it. I'm told the blast is fierce, but since I'm behind it, I don't notice much. I carry full house 240 grain JHP. There is livestock out where I live and bulls aren't impressed w/ looks.

I carry a ported 3" 629 Trail Boss. I even shot my agency's handgun qualification course with it. I'm told the blast is fierce, but since I'm behind it, I don't notice much. I carry full house 240 grain JHP. There is livestock out where I live and bulls aren't impressed w/ looks.

Now were talking.... :cheers:

I really think I would be pretty happy with a 41 or a 44/45 but lots of Wow with a shorty .44 Mag.:D

But as I said I want a big nasty motor skooter to amaze my friends with at the indoor range with huge fireballs and headache type muzzle blast concussions.

I refuse to grow up!

Huge fireballs??

You ain't right, Merlin :surprise:

Funny that you mention the 3" 629's I learned to shoot the .44 Mag on full underlug 3" 29 with the hard pacmayr grips. I can still feel the recoil, but I loved that gun. I remember it had a target trigger and hammer and orange insert front sight. Didn't figure out that that wasn't recoil until I found the 4" 500. Snubby Boomers are the best, touch one off in the dark and you'll see.

Snubby Boomers are the best, touch one off in the dark and you'll see.

About 50% of the reason I want one is to pull it out (whatever it ends up being) and go to work at our Thursday night IDPA BUG stage..... With something like CorBons, or the like, in the gun without telling anyone that I am shooting something different than my Kel-Tec.380....:devil:;)

I could then join Dolly Parton with "Shock & Awe..."

Edited by Merlin Orr

I used to load a "special" load for my 3" 629 for maximum muzzle blast effect. 30 grains of Win 296 and a 180 JHP would give me a 5' cone/ring of flame out the end of the gun when fired. When I shot at an indoor range one of these going off would get some attention.

Neal in AZ

Here you go, boys.....feast your eyes on my Lew Horton 24-3 .44 Spl. all slicked up with a duty action job, brushed hard chrome plating, and Craig Spegel cocobolo grips. Holster by DeSantis.

(Merlin, drop me a PM or email if you're serious....)

post-4033-029062500 1294872827_thumb.jpg

post-4033-041296600 1294872851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carmoney

I used to load a "special" load for my 3" 629 for maximum muzzle blast effect. 30 grains of Win 296 and a 180 JHP would give me a 5' cone/ring of flame out the end of the gun when fired. When I shot at an indoor range one of these going off would get some attention.

Neal in AZ

We shoot a bunch of our BUG scenarios at retention - arms length distance.

Setting the target on fire would make the crew howl and fall on the floor. I love it.

Merlin,

A friend of mine decided to shoot his snubby .500 S&W Mag (2.5 or 3-inch barrel, I don't remember) on a BUG stage

at our local IDPA match, and he stuffed it with 440 grain max lead loads. It was SO COOL! The first target was at about 3 feet... the muzzle blast blew the target off the stand and to about 10-12 feet down range (we did find it and it was down 0)... the stand went a few feet off to one side,,, and we have a picture of this four foot long conical, fire breathing, muzzle blast eminating from the muzzle. There were two more targets out there at about 5 or 8 feet, but the muzzle blast from the first round knocked them down too, so he got a re-shoot. The results were about the same on the re-shoot, so in the interest of moving the match along we just gave him a "MD consensus" score. Now... THAT'S A BIG BORE SNUBBY!

GOF

Here you go, boys.....feast your eyes on my Lew Horton 24-3 .44 Spl. all slicked up with a duty action job, brushed hard chrome plating, and Craig Spegel cocobolo grips. Holster by DeSantis.

(Merlin, drop me a PM or email if you're serious....)

:wub: That is a sweet blaster. I always think of those as THE ultimate carry piece.

-ld

Mine is not a snubby, but I do have a 4" M29. In my former life I brought it with me to our SWAT qualification once and not one of the big, macho SWAT cops I worked with would shoot more than 2 rounds out of it. One guy handed it back to me and stated "No f***ing way. That thing hurts". It is a bit of a handful, but a hoot to shoot. One day I will get the gear together for it and take it to a match.

an i thought i was the only one nutty enuff to buy a snubby .44 mag....hehehe yeah i have one ofthe lew horton 3 inch 629's and as was said, its really fun(sic) to load it out with gobs of 296 on a 180 gr JHP, for me the recoil is pretty nasty, the gun actually will twist in my hand, but have to admit, 'downloaded' a bit she is a very accurate shooter despite the absence of barrel length

I saw this thread the other day and thought-"had one of each and got rid of them all". I am not a big .44 fan.

I stopped into my local P&G yesterday and they handed me a S&W .44 Magnum (1957 production-pre model 29), 4" barrel, TT,TH, coke stocks, gun in about 90% condition. It will be mine reasonably priced. The stocks are worth 70% of the sale price.

It will be interesting to see if Merlin can talk Carmoney into his standard $200 offer :rolleyes:

Dave