Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SSR power factor

CRDB

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Informed by who?

Sorry but I really hate stuff like this, "I was told about an upcoming announcement so I will make the announcement myself but I can't say how I know". It just usually leads to bad or wrong information.

Sorry but I really hate stuff like this, "I was told about an upcoming announcement so I will make the announcement myself but I can't say how I know". It just usually leads to bad or wrong information.

My read is that Dean's simply giving the heads-up to pay attention to a possible announcement from HQ later this week. I'll be watching for it.

Tom

My read is that Dean's simply giving the heads-up to pay attention to a possible announcement from HQ later this week. I'll be watching for it.

Tom

Is the PF of 105 about what a factory .38 Special load makes out of a 2.5 tube? Hmmm.

I was thinking about setting a load up to 108pf out of the 4" and then run the 2.5" 66 or 686 should put me (legal) at about an 80pf and have some 125pf loads for poppers.

If you do that in a match I'm running (run multiple ammo types so you can shoot a weaker load), I'll give serious consideration to giving you an FTDR. That said, IDPA has no popper calibration rule. I generally set them as light as possible.

I was thinking about setting a load up to 108pf out of the 4" and then run the 2.5" 66 or 686 should put me (legal) at about an 80pf and have some 125pf loads for poppers.

If you do that in a match I'm running (run multiple ammo types so you can shoot a weaker load), I'll give serious consideration to giving you an FTDR. That said, IDPA has no popper calibration rule. I generally set them as light as possible.

He is allowed to do this according to the rules (if this 105 PF thing is true):

Chronograph three (3) rounds at a distance of ten (10) feet using a

gun of MAXIMUM barrel length for the DIVISION of the same

gun type.

As for loading dutch, what if he got a "hot one" that snuck through the press and just happened to come up while he was engaging the popper? :rolleyes:

A FTDR would not only be inappropriate, but in direct contridiction with the Rule Book. If a competitor's load chronographs to the required PE it has met the requirements. There is nothing in the Rule Book that says he can't use a more powerful load at some point in the match if he so chooses. How is using a more powerful load than the Rules require a penalty?

GOF

Merlin Orr,

From what I understand and has been talked about for months is being able to run store purchased ammo and make power factor, most all factory .38spl does not make power in a 4" revolver (none +P).

My first post was to ask the question, why not be able to run .32H&R Mag or .327 J-frame size guns, both make above the 105PF and one load in .327 makes major.

I personally think "this" is a major reason why the Powers that Be at HQ hate to make any equipment changes. Any change for any reason starts the "Well... if we can do This - Why can't we do This" :devil:

105 pf does make sense to me as having a PF that takes a handload to get to with a standard and common handgun seems kind of "Gamer Like" to me.....:closedeyes:

BTW... I think the JFrame in .327 is a Sweet little piece....

Edit to add.... Just think of the new threads we will have about "What is your SSR 105 pf load." The long dissertations on which 105 pf load has the least recoil and smells best.... :roflol:

Edited by Merlin Orr

A 105 PF will be fun, but having shot a pile of 135 PF loads, I think I'll be loading for about 115. I don't want nervous sweats if poppers are involved, and I'm already comfortable at 135. It'll be interesting to see where this ultimately leads. But, I think IDPA HQ did a smart thing, because with this PF a shooter can walk into Wally World and find legal ammo. SSR shooters will no longer be required to be reloaders. That should bring in more SSR shooters.

GOF

I would think the reduced ejection stroke of a 2-1/2" wheelie would not be effective for IDPA.

Good point. I have enough trouble with what I have to work with on the larger frame guns....

With that being said I have not tried a 2.5 yet so .......

If you load clean, tumbled, not on it's "death bed" brass, polish your chambers, and find a Safe Handling area to brush them every 35 rounds or so during a match, you shouldn't have a problem with sticky cases messing up your reload. Half of the reload, that few consider, is getting the six SSR rimmed (no moon clip) cases out of the gun before you can ram six new ones in. It kinda sucks to hit the ejector rod, grab a Comp III, bring it to the cylinder, and find a dangling case still in there. A dexterious pinky is then well advised. If you polish, scrub, and load clean brass, that shouldn't be a problem... even with a 2.5 inch barrel. Prior preparation....

GOF

Edited by GOF

If this happens- clubs need to make sure we have calibration loads (ie revo) for steel. Are they keeping the classification times the same? Master here I come!!

It will suck as ours are all forward fallers. MD will steel must fall :-)