Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SSR power factor

CRDB

as far as shooting .45 AutoRim out of a 625, whoops...I forgot about that option.

I have heard that supposedly speedloaders for .45 Long Colt will work....sorta...

will a 625 make the weight cutoff for SSR?

not to get all Bill Clinton on you....but what is the definition of caliber "is is"?

is caliber the bore diameter?

does it need to be better spelled out? like USPSA does with the 3 gun rifle minimum caliber rule? IIRC, the rulebook says .224" diameter so that automatically eliminates any of that Comm Bloc 5.45X39mm ammo

how many IDPA'ers are shooting .40SandW through their 10mm revolvers or semi-autos?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Most) All who are "shooters" knows that the advantages of a lower PF are mainly imaginary. IMO - As a generalization - The only people who seem to worry about a few point in the PF are those with little shooting experience. The time it takes for the sights to settle with a 170 pf load vs a 105 pf is maybe .05, at most. So 18 shots is less than a second difference..?

I won the SSR Division at the 2010 Alabama State IDPA Championship by less than .50 second. In a 180 shot match, .05 second per split would have cost me over 5 seconds, thus the match.

My "comparison" used the difference im my average splits between a USPSA major and USPSA minor load. I will guess that the difference in a 135PF and ~110 PF load would be somewhat less....

Perhaps a lazier load would let you get back on target quicker.......

Anyway. Everyone who made it to whatever level will soon be able to look with disdain at those who reach the same level and be able to tell them.... Back when the power floor was 125 it took a Real Man to handle the recoil.....:P

There is room to play with the reduced PF. Lesser recoil... quicker time back to the 0 Zone... yes. Going too light may impact performance on steel/poppers. I will be loading for a 115-120 pf (158 LRN at an average of 740), and the recoil difference between that and a 840 fps load (safe chrono load under previous IDPA PF)is significant enough to improve one's score. I suspect that Bones,Ken,Claude and Cliff will be doing some new load development (I've already done mine).... and after shooting a 130-135... a 115 (plenty of chrono cushion)is a lot softer/faster. That, however, is for the "gamers" (and I proudly class myself in that group). BUT, the big factor is that it will no longer require a SSR shooter to be a reloader. They can now buy legal loads over the counter. As to attracting new SSR shooters, that makes the game very user friendly. I think 105 may have been a bit light, but I applaud IDPA HQ for addressing and issue that has, IMHO, been a controversay in the past. I believe, but do not know for a fact, that they are also looking at the ESR PF. I think someone in Berryville has finally realized that asking a .45 ACP/moon clip revo from a four-inch vented barrel to make the same PF as someone shooting a five-inch non-vented 1911, isn't quite right. That may be, although I do not know, the next issue addressed.

GOF

Edited by GOF

I believe, but do not know for a fact, that they are also looking at the ESR PF. I think someone in Berryville has finally realized that asking a .45 ACP/moon clip revo from a four-inch vented barrel to make the same PF as someone shooting a five-inch non-vented 1911, isn't quite right. That may be, although I do not know, the next issue addressed.

GOF

I don't know what excuse could be made for that since most of what you buy off the shelf has a PF of 190 or more. Winchester white box is 192. The rounds that I carry make 230PF.

The 1911's barrel is measured including the chamber and an ESR gun is measured just the barrel so a 4" revolver has about the same amount of actual

barrel as a 5" 1911. You don't loose much between the two.

There is room to play with the reduced PF. Lesser recoil... quicker time back to the 0 Zone... yes. Going too light may impact performance on steel/poppers. I will be loading for a 115-120 pf (158 LRN at an average of 740), and the recoil difference between that and a 840 fps load (safe chrono load under previous IDPA PF)is significant enough to improve one's score. I suspect that Bones,Ken,Claude and Cliff will be doing some new load development (I've already done mine).... and after shooting a 130-135... a 115 (plenty of chrono cushion)is a lot softer/faster. That, however, is for the "gamers" (and I proudly class myself in that group). BUT, the big factor is that it will no longer require a SSR shooter to be a reloader. They can now buy legal loads over the counter. As to attracting new SSR shooters, that makes the game very user friendly. I think 105 may have been a bit light, but I applaud IDPA HQ for addressing and issue that has, IMHO, been a controversay in the past. I believe, but do not know for a fact, that they are also looking at the ESR PF. I think someone in Berryville has finally realized that asking a .45 ACP/moon clip revo from a four-inch vented barrel to make the same PF as someone shooting a five-inch non-vented 1911, isn't quite right. That may be, although I do not know, the next issue addressed.

GOF

I think the main issue though is dropping poppers at 105 PF. You have several here that stated they will have popper specific ammo. Well the guys wanting to use older model guns that are only chambered for 38 special won't be able to use factory ammo that barely makes 105 PF to use Popper specific ammo as their guns "theoretically" can't handle the pressure.

As for it being labeled the "Wuss" division if you hear of anybody saying that, kindly offer them your gun and gear and ask them to come play. Chances are they won't but if they do I bet they'll like it! :cheers:

Edited by steel1212

kindly offer them your gun and gear and ask them to come play. Chances are they won't but if they do I bet they'll like it!

PF aside, I've got an extra rig, so I already did that, here and here. No takers yet, but it is an open invitation, and it'll get regular bumps, so I'm optimistic.

Tom

Gregg,

My guess is that you are not using factory ammo in your ESR gun. Have you chroned the same load in a five-inch 1911 .45 ACP and the same load in a 4 inch 625 .45 ACP?

GOF

Gregg,

My guess is that you are not using factory ammo in your ESR gun. Have you chroned the same load in a five-inch 1911 .45 ACP and the same load in a 4 inch 625 .45 ACP?

GOF

No factory load for me in my ESR. I hand load for the same reason as the CDP guys, it's cheaper and it's softer and easier to compete with. :rolleyes:

I have to load .2 more powder in my ESR gun to match the velocity from my 5" 1911. The effective barrel is about the same but you still have to make up for what you loose at the barrel cylinder gap.

GOF

I think the main issue though is dropping poppers at 105 PF. You have several here that stated they will have popper specific ammo. Well the guys wanting to use older model guns that are only chambered for 38 special won't be able to use factory ammo that barely makes 105 PF to use Popper specific ammo as their guns "theoretically" can't handle the pressure.

As for it being labeled the "Wuss" division if you hear of anybody saying that, kindly offer them your gun and gear and ask them to come play. Chances are they won't but if they do I bet they'll like it! :cheers:

I would think MDs would have to ensure that poppers will drop with a center hit from ALL loads. If the poppers don't drop with a center hit that is a problem IMO. If you pass chrono- one center hit a popper better damn well drop it.

On the wuss division stuff.... great idea! We either have big balls or are crazy... I think it's the hardest division to compete in. Good reloading has a whole new meaning...

As for it being labeled the "Wuss" division if you hear of anybody saying that, kindly offer them your gun and gear and ask them to come play. Chances are they won't but if they do I bet they'll like it!

I'm new to SSR from last fall. I've shot a handful of IDPA matches and have also shot two other home grown handgun competitions (that use a majority of steel). I shoot whatever I can find at Walmart, Academy, and a few other local gun stores - 38 special of any variety isn't easy to find, though it seems to be improving.

Most of my shooting has probably been with Remington (a green and white box) and WWB both of which are sub-105 per the box data - I shoot a 4" 686. I haven't had any issues whatsoever knocking down steel. Not that that's a huge sample size, but from what I've seen 105 doesn't appear to have an issue with steel???

Edited by gr7070

I would think MDs would have to ensure that poppers will drop with a center hit from ALL loads. If the poppers don't drop with a center hit that is a problem IMO. If you pass chrono- one center hit a popper better damn well drop it.

Why? There isn't a procedure nor a requirement to calibrate poppers. The poppers do fall at a 125000 PF from 35 meters.

Be careful what you wish for because you may get more than you can chew.

Good point. A 105 PF may sound sweet on cardboard, but reality may enter the picture at some point, and the reality is that there is no calibration required on steel in IDPA. Steel till it falls!

GOF

Why? There isn't a procedure nor a requirement to calibrate poppers. The poppers do fall at a 125000 PF from 35 meters.

Not sure what you mean about getting more than I wish for. Regardless- how can you possibly have a match where a shot in the center of the calibration zone with a gun with 105pf loads doesn't drop the poppers? If you did you would have a lot of pissed of competitors. What the heck good is steel if you have to hammer it down with three shots while shooting SSR? I've never heard of this. No calibration procedure or not- I've seen top shooters blow gaskets because steel didn't drop with a center hit. They got a reshoot and I think that was reasonable.

I have no issue with lowering the PF- but THIS issue is huge IMO.

Not sure what you mean about getting more than I wish for. Regardless- how can you possibly have a match where a shot in the center of the calibration zone with a gun with 105pf loads doesn't drop the poppers? If you did you would have a lot of pissed of competitors. What the heck good is steel if you have to hammer it down with three shots while shooting SSR? I've never heard of this. No calibration procedure or not- I've seen top shooters blow gaskets because steel didn't drop with a center hit. They got a reshoot and I think that was reasonable.

I have no issue with lowering the PF- but THIS issue is huge IMO.

Wanting the PF lowered so that you can use factory, but the downside will be steel still standing.

Wanting the PF lowered so that you can use factory, but the downside will be steel still standing.

Ohh. I'm not for or against it personally. I'm a wuss and like "minor" type loads so I'd be fine shooting 105pf bunny fart loads.... that being said I think it may cause more problems than it "fixes".

Ohh. I'm not for or against it personally. I'm a wuss and like "minor" type loads so I'd be fine shooting 105pf bunny fart loads.... that being said I think it may cause more problems than it "fixes".

Now you're talking, the best fix for all these new problems is to leave it like it is.

It seems funny, the .40 and .45 guys are downloading to get to the specified power factor and the .38 Special guys are loading heavy to get to the specified PF. The only ones that don't have to do anything are the 9mm folks but they are loading to find an even softer load. I really don't see a need to "fix" anything. :blink:

I'm not seeing the steel NOT falling as that big of a deal or problem.

methinks it is going to be a bigger problem when the CDP, ESP, and/or SSP guys are up to shoot and the slightest breeze knocks the popper over.

how many newbies (nonreloaders) are there anticipated to start flying out of the woodwork with their .38 Specials and two boxes of factory ammo?

Said another way...are there really that many disenfranchised newb wheelgunners who are sitting at home on the match days biting their lips and saying "But if only IDPA would lower their power factor floor I could finally start shooting IDPA....(sigh)"???

methinks if you're gonna start out brand new and cut your teeth in IDPA, the shallower learning curve would be to pick up a Glock 17 and some WWB 9mm that does actually make PF.

I'm not seeing the steel NOT falling as that big of a deal or problem.

methinks it is going to be a bigger problem when the CDP, ESP, and/or SSP guys are up to shoot and the slightest breeze knocks the popper over.

how many newbies (nonreloaders) are there anticipated to start flying out of the woodwork with their .38 Specials and two boxes of factory ammo?

Said another way...are there really that many disenfranchised newb wheelgunners who are sitting at home on the match days biting their lips and saying "But if only IDPA would lower their power factor floor I could finally start shooting IDPA....(sigh)"???

methinks if you're gonna start out brand new and cut your teeth in IDPA, the shallower learning curve would be to pick up a Glock 17 and some WWB 9mm that does actually make PF.

A revolver isn't good gun to learn to shoot IDPA, as Chills said, a G17/M&P are the dogs bollocks to learn with.

But back to my original question, and I know a couple have answered it, would the 15PF reduction help your shooting?

I'll answer.... NO, I don't think it'll help my shooting much at all. I shoot ESR when I shoot Revo but have dabbled in SSR for a season or two and the 135PF loads I shoot out of my K-frame already feel so soft compared to the 625 I can't imagine 105 being a big difference. Besides, I'll still load to 15pf over as to avoid issues at Chrono's (yes we run a chrono here in Arkansas).