Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag wells

daleyandy

• 8 months later...

I got one of Wilson's mag wells for my Kimber for IDPA.  It's the one that screws into the mainspring housing also supplied.  

It works great, except that when I first got it, mags wouldn't drop free, and I had to file the edge at the back of the mag well in order to fix it.  

I think Ed Brown makes a similar one that you can remove without punching out the mainspring housing pin.  

The Wilson has definitely been a nice addition to my Kimber, though.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

• 3 months later...

I'm putting together a new Blaster (open and short) and I don't know what kind of mag well I want to use. I use a Dawson Ice on my limited Blaster but my hands are pretty big (wide) and I feel like the Dawson might be interfering with my grip. The Dawson has such a large flair that I think it is acting like a wedge MS housing in my hands.

I'm not sure if I want to go heavy or light.

Suggestions?

(Edited by Singlestack at 9:50 pm on Mar. 1, 2003)

Have you looked at the STI factory one?

It seems pretty short/flat at the back. I'm pretty sure I have an extra used one in a box somewhere if you want to try it on, send me an email w/ your address if you are interested.

I've got small hands so..my experience will be different...but I have been playing with the Dawson..before that and still on one of my guns..I have an EGW...it works great....

another one you might try is the Krebs...it used to come in plastic, aluminum and stainless...I think I might have a black aluminum somewhere...let me know if interested....

One of the things that I have found besides making the insertion of the magazine easier is that it adds weight to the frame which helps balance out the gun more.  BTW, if you go to the following link you'll see a few of my competition Glock’s with the accessories brass magazine well.  

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=131752

I put a Lightning Strike magwell on my G35 and quite liked it.  It does require base pads at that point so that you can get enough palm on the mag to seat them quickly, but this combination gives you a lot of confidence to hit the mag changes everytime.  

It also helped me to get to my grip in a more consistent manner as my hand is big enough so that my little finger rested up against the bottom of the magwell.  I also used it to rest my forearm against with a hands relaxed at sides start so the draw was more consistent as well.

(Edited by slik40 at 11:28 am on Mar. 10, 2003)

THE magwells (the only ones I will sell or use) has several advantages.

Larger opening for faster and more consistant reloads.  Proper steep angled walls for those less than perfect loads.

It helps push your hand up on the gun and lock it in for a more secure grip.

The brass version adds significant weight to help balence and soften the gun.

If you can do 100 perfect reloads in a row at full speed in the dark then you probably dont need one but thats kinds hard to do.

I was one of the first local Glock shooters to put one on for our USPSA matches.  

Alot of shooters asked about them and I told them basically verbatim what CGR said.  Everyone that's tried one has loved it.  Most of the Glock shooters now have them on.

Besides helping with reloads it really helps to soften the gun up.  My 35 with Major loads felt like a new and improved gun.  In fact, I enjoy shooting a 35/major with a brass magwell better than a 34/minor without one.