Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Night Sights

M.YANCEY

I prefer Trijicons. The tritium dots are very sharply defined. Some others prefer the Glock sights or Meprolights because the dots are larger, albeit fuzzier.

"Long-lasting" is generally similar across the brands. Tritium has a half-life of 12 years, but its useful life for effective illumination is usually a little less. With that being said, I have a 1993-vintage G21 with Trijicons that are still usable. I lucked out on that one.

We have 115 Glock 22Cs that we've run for 8.5 years. Only three front sights have come apart, and that was recently.

Edited by Braxton1

We have 115 Glock 22Cs that we've run for 8.5 years. Only three front sights have come apart, and that was recently.

Now that's interesting. Could you define "come apart"?

Probably since the gun is a "C" model and it is a LE gun, the front sight tube fell out. I am just guessing.

Edited by Roadkill751

Well, I'll tell you what I don't like! I just bought a brand new G-19. The dealer caught me in a moment of weakness and talked me into purchasing his, 'store brand' night sights. (A misnomer, by the way.) He put a set of, 'Zone 3' Trijicon night sights on the gun. They were dim. They were ill-defined; and, no matter how much I compensated, I couldn't hit the bullseye with them.

Turned out the right side of the rear sight was, ever so slightly, longer than the left side. (Which explains, 'Why' I was doing such a good job of hitting the left side of the target.) Because some shop idiot had used Red Loctite to fix the setscrew on the rear sight, the gunsmith who spotted this anomaly had to use a drill press in order to get the, 'Zone 3' rear sight off the gun.

I had them replaced with a set of Meprolights - Which is the night sight that I usually use. They're extremely bright, almost too much so, because you can momentarily lose a target in the dark in the same way I did a few years ago. (That'll make your heart stop!)

I don't suppose I'd care if my night sights were Trijicon or Meprolight. The Triji's have more clearly defined glowing orbs. The Meprolights are brighter and a little more durable. The Glock factory sights? They run a close second to Meprolight.

I've got both; at sometime in the future I'm going to try a set of Tru-Glo TFO sights. (Just because I want to.) I know they've got a lousy guarantee, poor customer service, and they're fragile; but I see them on a lot of, 'range guns'; and I'd like to give them a try.

Now that's interesting. Could you define "come apart"?

Probably since the gun is a "C" model and it is a LE gun, the front sight tube fell out. I am just guessing.

Yep, that's what happened!

I have Glock sights on a 22 and Trijicon on a 23. I prefer the Trijicons. They have sharper corners on the rear sight notch and I seem to be able to get a better sight picture when shooting in light, the Glocks seem to be rounded and fuzzier. The finish on the Glock rear sight wears off quickly and I have to blacken them often or I get a lot of glare in light. My near vision isn't what it used to be but and Trijicons just seem to focus better for me. I took a file to the sides of the Glock front and narrowed it a bit and that helped. The inserts on the Trijicons look a litle smaller and more defined than the Glock sights.

I have the Warren Tactical Sevigny Carry sights on my G19. I purchased the 2 lamp set with the green front and yellow rear.

The rear lamp is not outlined in white, so it's not distracting during the day. Since the front lamp larger, it's also brighter than the rear. At night, just put the large green light on top of the fainter yellow light and you're good to go!

Sevigny Carry Sight Set

Edited by Trvlngnrs