Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger's Next Gun - January 2011

The_Vigilante

Even when it's "just marketing", if you are going to hype it that hard you need to at least produce something capable of meeting some of the hype. Producing a black copy of a Kel-Tec is not doing that. So either I am seriously jaded, or has marketing gone so far that we no longer expect anything from hype?

My guess is that its a pretty good little gun...Ruger has always been about price point

To build a good product for a good price, not a TOP tier product with a price tag to match

I would give it a chance, and see how it performs

Jim

Even when it's "just marketing", if you are going to hype it that hard you need to at least produce something capable of meeting some of the hype. Producing a black copy of a Kel-Tec is not doing that. So either I am seriously jaded, or has marketing gone so far that we no longer expect anything from hype?

I think Jim's got a good point. While Ruger's not inventing the wheel here, they usually put out a pretty good product at a good price. I guess it makes sense for a company, from a sales standpoint, to hype up a new product, whether or not it's completely original, in order to sell it. This is true of EVERY product, gun or otherwise. So I would imagine that a Ruger rep might say that it differs a lot from a kel-tec in that RUGER produces it and their products are built solid with great prices....yada yada yada.

I have a good friend that runs an indoor range

He also rents guns to shoot...they had several Keltecs that just flat flew apart at a few k rounds.

They will give this new gun a try as a rental....that should tell the whole story

Jim

Ruger seems to have really stepped up their game after the passing of Mr. Ruger. Just like Jim mentioned, they are about price point. They have always made ugly stuff that works but it seems like they are a little more flexible these days. Yes the LCP was a pretty close copy of the Kel Tec but Ruger pretty much caused the little 380 boom. Personally I don't have a use for this gun, I like my Kahr just fine. But after the LCP (no it wasn't perfect but it's good enough) I think this little gun will do just fine. good on Ruger. One of these days, I might actually own one ;-)