Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 B presonalized improvements you've made

Something always comes up where you say I can do better and it will look cool. I can't figure how to post pics but I've added lights, better ways to load primer tubes, better ways to catch spent primers and other goodies. I admit a lot of my best ideas were snatched from the posters on this forum. I'm giving you a chance to brag.You know, custom handles, custom counters etc.I know some ideas would give Dillon a fit. On your mark, ready BRAG!!!(don't forget the pics) :P

I guess I should have been clearer ( no, say it's not so) I'm looking for the less prefect ones of us that can't see Dillon's perfection. I envy those prophets who achieve immediate Dillonhood. For the rest I guess It has to be a continued struggle to reach those rarefied heights. My people! Show me the results of those struggles to make your Dillon yours. :D

PS to Grumpy: Presonalized is a prefect word for the high precentage of presons trying for presonal prefection. :wacko:

Edited by Youngeyes

I stuck a piece of 1/4" pex tubing to the front of the frame to hold my primer follower. I used a thin sliver of double sided tape.

Found the ultra cool blue knobs that fit the powder knob.

Not much else I guess.

I have the blue knobs as well. Much nicer than using the wrench to adjust the powder flow.

I kept having problems with the primer feeding mechanism missing primers. I glued a 200 gr bullet to the top of the rod and that seems to help.

I also added a plug in, clamp on book light to my strong mount.

Gents,

Where did you find the the blue knobs that fit the powder knob.

Thank you and happy new year to all.

Marc

I was selling the blue knobs on here for awhile until it got nixed. I found them at monsterfasteners.com. Had to order in bags of twenty or so and with shipping it was a little pricey. I sold all I had for 4$ or 5$ each.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

Where did you find the the blue knobs that fit the powder knob.

Thank you and happy new year to all.

Marc

I was selling the blue knobs on here for awhile until it got nixed. I found them at monsterfasteners.com. Had to order in bags of twenty or so and with shipping it was a little pricey. I sold all I had for 4$ or 5$ each.

Do you still have the part number for these knobs?

TSKBP-137

Looks like you can now get them in boxes of 4. But you have to get $50 worth to avoid shipping.

Do these replace the adjusting bolt or "snap over" the existing bolt?

These are just a press on plastic knob. They are 5/16 because they are supposed to fit on an allen head round bolt head. But they lock right on to the 7/16 hex head of the powder measure.

• 1 month later...

i added black knobs to both of my 550Bs' powder measures. i bought mine at home depot. i do not remember how much they were, but they were cheap. i used a white paint pen to paint on arrows with a small 'I' to show increase and a small 'D' to show decrease.it grieves me that they are not blue. i like blue, it sets off my eyes.

i also replaced the socket screws that hold the powder measure on with longer ones. being longer, i can loosen the screws without removing, or nearly removing them to remove the powder measure.

i added black knobs to both of my 550Bs' powder measures. i bought mine at home depot. i do not remember how much they were, but they were cheap. i used a white paint pen to paint on arrows with a small 'I' to show increase and a small 'D' to show decrease.it grieves me that they are not blue. i like blue, it sets off my eyes.

i also replaced the socket screws that hold the powder measure on with longer ones. being longer, i can loosen the screws without removing, or nearly removing them to remove the powder measure.

Good idea on the longer screws...that IS a pain. I need to do that since I can't justify getting separate powder measures for each caliber.

[thread hijack]

Has anyone purchased extra powder bars that you keep adjusted for different calibers or is consistency an issue when changing them out? Seems like that would work.

[/thread hijack]

I use a 1050 powder funnel, makes for a smoother 'upstroke'.

Could you please elaborate on exactly what you did and why it makes a difference? Any pics?

I just did the same thing. I don't have pictures but the 1050 "activator" (funnel) looks like a regular 550 powder funnel with the tip milled off to just look like a cone tip. The resistance on the up stroke is from the regular funnel having the expander on the end. It sticks inside the case. Without that portion on the funnel there is nothing to grab hold of. Make sense? You could mill the end off of the powder funnel or just do like I did and order the 1050 part from Brian. It is part number 13005 and I got it delivered for $22.93. The part costs the same from either brian or Dillon but Brians shipping was $5 less.:cheers:

I've added a goose neck high intensity light on the "back of my 550..... that illuminates all the work stations so I can check for powder drop etc. I don't have a picture... but I also screwed a shallow piece of Tupperware to my loading bench to the immediate left of my press which serves as a bullet tray.