Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55 & 69 powder

caz41

Searched and only found one previous topic on this. Looking for a one powder that can be used for 55 gr MG and 69 gr SMK. The other thread I found on it gave 2230 and TAC as two options. Locally TAC and VV powders are not available. H335, 2230, Benchmark, Varget are readily available. It wouldn't be a problem to use two different powders if I had to, but if there was one that did the trick for both it would be easier. Thanks

Searched and only found one previous topic on this. Looking for a one powder that can be used for 55 gr MG and 69 gr SMK. The other thread I found on it gave 2230 and TAC as two options. Locally TAC and VV powders are not available. H335, 2230, Benchmark, Varget are readily available. It wouldn't be a problem to use two different powders if I had to, but if there was one that did the trick for both it would be easier. Thanks

I've found that Varget produces a more accurate load (for my 556 rifles) but 2230 meters much better. It's not considerably worse..maybe 1/4-1/3 MOA? If you are interested in saving time when reloading a lot, I'd go for 2230. I find Varget needs to have about every charge weighed in my Hornday bench rest powder drop (+/-.1 gr maybe).

I use 25gr of 2230 for the 55gr FMJBT, 22.5 for the 69gr SMK (I need to double check that one) and 25.3gr of Varget for the more accurate 69gr SMK.

If you are looking at other powders, Powder Valley is a good place. You need to order a bunch to offset the Hazmat fee. F.Y.I. TAC meters like 2230 but has a burn rate closer to Varget (inbetween 2230 and Varget).

Good luck.

If I had to use just one powder I'd use H4895. Relative to the other powders I have used it was the least temp sensitive and had the greatest velocity (using the book max charge) for 55's and 69's.

Of the powders you have listed I've tried 2230 and Varget. If I had to choose one for all I'd go for Varget. With Varget I got less velocity than A2230, but I would suspect that it is more temp stable than 2230. For 55's, I generally load for a 100% functioning load. For heavier bullets I look for a safe and fast load that will at least do 1.5-2 MOA.

I'd suggest that you use two powders. Ball for close range 55's and a good stick powder for longer ranges. I currently use X-Term for 55's and H4895 for heavies.

X-Term to me felt a lot softer than TAC and it gave higher velocities than Tac. 2230 was more temp sensitive than X-Term or TAC.

I used AA2200 for years to propel my 55s and 69s with very good results. It is available again, and I am sticking with TAC for the 69s, but if I were to go with one powder, 2200. I never load anything to max velocity, waste of time and energy, since I am more concerned with accuracy and staying at least 10 PF over the minor floor. With adjustable gas and knowing your ballistics, everythng else can be compensated for. I've had no temperature sensitivity problems either.

After doing a ton reading I think I am going to just load two powders for each bullet weight. I will try to work some Varget and 2230 loads up for the 69SMK and see if my rifle prefers either more than the other. Any other powder that would be a must to try for the 69's?

Edit that my barrel is a 18" 1/9 twist.

I've had good success with W748 for both 55gr & 69gr loads. It's a ball powder so it meters quite well in a Dillon. Max loads are 26.3 and 24.5 respectively. I'm still load developing for the 55gr (25.0gr currently), but have dialed in my 69gr load at 23.6gr 18" 1 in 9 twist JP barrel, YMMV

• 4 weeks later...

If I had to use just one powder I'd use H4895. Relative to the other powders I have used it was the least temp sensitive and had the greatest velocity (using the book max charge) for 55's and 69's.

Of the powders you have listed I've tried 2230 and Varget. If I had to choose one for all I'd go for Varget. With Varget I got less velocity than A2230, but I would suspect that it is more temp stable than 2230. For 55's, I generally load for a 100% functioning load. For heavier bullets I look for a safe and fast load that will at least do 1.5-2 MOA.

I'd suggest that you use two powders. Ball for close range 55's and a good stick powder for longer ranges. I currently use X-Term for 55's and H4895 for heavies.

X-Term to me felt a lot softer than TAC and it gave higher velocities than Tac. 2230 was more temp sensitive than X-Term or TAC.

I second the use of H4895.

• 4 weeks later...

3rds for H4895, buy an 8lb,er, run a few test loads for the primo powder weight with each bullet, then load to your hearts content, and go SHOOT. Don't get caught up in the endless, countless, variable of which primer, case, powder, bullet, cold outside, hot outside, earth rotation, etc. Been there, done that. GO Shoot and have fun.

• 1 month later...