Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield "RO" or SW1911 TFP

Lars

I'd like to buy a 1911 and was wondering what is the better pistol, the Springfield "range officer" or the SW1911 #108309 with the titanium firing pin? Looks to be both are around $800 plus or minus.

i don't like Ti firing pins. go with who's been making 1911 style pistols longer. :)

Springfields still come with TI pins last time I checked, yeah they are the first things to get dumped. I like the RO if its built up to their marketing hype, I haven't seen one in person though.

Springfield has a life-time warranty on their guns regardless of how many owners it has had. Their customer service is outstanding too.

I own 1911's from S&W, STI and Springfield. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Given the two your cited, I'd go with the Springer because of the adjustable sights and the stronger warranty.

Of those two, I'd probably get the Springer. If it was my money, I'd buy an STI Spartan, and use the $170 savings for a trigger job and magwell. R,

I agree with Bart.

Hurley

I've looked at the RO and wasn't impressed.

It looked like a lightly modified GI. (Not that its a bad thing, but I would spend the extra cash in other ways.)

If the RO has everything you would ever do, then go for it.

Of those two, I'd probably get the Springer. If it was my money, I'd buy an STI Spartan, and use the $170 savings for a trigger job and magwell. R,

I agree with Bart.

Hurley

Agree

I've looked at the RO and wasn't impressed.

It looked like a lightly modified GI. (Not that its a bad thing, but I would spend the extra cash in other ways.)

If the RO has everything you would ever do, then go for it.

Edited by jaggy13

Found a good deal for a friend yesterday on a Springer RO. Very nice pistol. Trigger was a bit heavy, but was clean. Lock-up was very solid. Extractor was a bit proud of the back of the slide, but not clocked.

For the price he paid, if he didn't buy it I was about to, even though my current gun is set up nearly identical.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Soooo? What are your thoughts on the RO? :rolleyes: I've been waiting for a range report on one of these since Springfield hyped it up pretty well. I'm interested on the slide fit...how does it feel?

Excluding some of the "extras" ... i.e. cosmetic features such as checkered front strap, they're supposed to match the quality of Trophy Match. Did you find this to be true?

I'll give input based on the Trophy Match from CDNN since it's more like the RO even though you asked about the TRP which is a different use gun in theory and marketing.

$1099 for the Trophy Match gets you front strap checkering (about $250?), a magwell ($75?) and tighter fitting.

Let's say the RO is $799. $300 less has no FS checkering and magwell. I have checkering on a few 1911 but grip tape works wonders, too. And no magwell means you can personalize your own in case the SA factory is not to your liking. That's what SA did with the RO. Let you pay for what you did and did not need. Maybe a EGW bushing could get the RO closer to the TM.

Tough decision. My bud just emailed his range session target pics and even with the stock trigger his groupings were impressive. The ILS removal and a little spring and sear tweaking is in order but it's nice to see him with zero remorse or bad comments for the RO. And that is something a shooter can't put a price on.

Good luck in your decision.

So now I'm thinking of save the few extra $$$ and getting a TRP from CDNN. Smart move or waste of money?

For me it was between the STI Trojan and SA TM. Went with the STI since it was cheaper. Still ended up putting an SA magwell, Infinity trigger, extended mag release, and new recoil spring in. Most of those are probably in order for any 1911 of the caliber we're talking but allows for customization because of the price. I do like the FS serrations on the STI....never tried the grip tape but would probably work even better than serrations or checkering since it's non metallic. I still don't think the RO is a bad choice. I do like the front cocking serrations on slides, though. SA has an underrated custom shop. They do some nice work.

I'd rather have a STI Spartan at $628 delivered and just be okay with the cheapy finish.

That's what I did, except I am not okay with the "cheapy finish", so I sent my frame to Freedom Gunworks for Atranite, and my slide to Plate-Tacular for cobalt plating.

I liked the front strap checkering on the TRP and Trophy Match. I never thought of using grip tape. Well I can get a RO locally for $750. I like not having FCS, just for cosmetic reasons. It so hard to decide. I've been shooting Glocks for awhile and have had a hankering for a 1911.

Lars, then get exactly what you want. All your options and a few others available are win-win. Find one to grasp and see which "speaks" to you. Let us know which comes home.

Yep, if you don't get what YOU want, you'll regret your purchase the minute you get it home.....

If we were talking SW Sigma, then we might talk you out of it :D

Well you guys will probably laugh at me but I picked up a STI Spartan .45 today. Nicest I've seen for the money. Not everything I want but I'd spend over $2000 to get just the right pistol. Oh, this will make you laugh more. I ordered a 9mm Spartan also. Don't tell the wife.