Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro trigger pull

DustyW

Just got my M&P Pro recently. I checked the trigger pull weight on a Lyman digital pull scale and with 3 pulls it averaged 6lbs 11 oz. Smith and Wesson advertises 4-5.5 lb trigger pull. Is it normal for the pro triggers to be that much heavier? Should I send it back or just have some trigger work done on it? Thanks for your time.

Edited by DustyW

Just got my M&P Pro recently. I checked the trigger pull weight on a Lyman digital pull scale and with 3 pulls it averaged 6lbs 11 oz. Smith and Wesson advertises 4-5.5 lb trigger pull. Is it normal for the pro triggers to be that much heavier? Should I send it back or just have some trigger work done on it? Thanks for your time.

I don't recall exactly what mine did on my gauge (same as yours), but it was also over what Smith suggests. Some of that, I think, is that guns like Glocks and M&Ps seem to vary based upon where the gauge contacts the trigger.

I will say that I dropped in an Apex sear, rounded the firing pin block plunger, and clipped a few coils off the FP plunger spring, and it's about 3lbs now (going off memory). I have, but haven't installed the Apex springs, which I felt on a friend's M&P...it was lighter than mine by maybe another half pound...pretty nice really. R,

I was under the impression that stock was around 6 lbs. I have mine at 3 lbs which works just fine for me. I have felt an M&P with a 1 1/2 pound trigger and I gotta say it worried me a little. The one thing that is real nice about the M&P is that the trigger work is so easy to do.

My bet is that you arent pulling the trigger back properly.

You have to pull down a little when you get the take-up out of the trigger. If you pull too parallel with the bore initially, you can get the articulated trigger to hitch a little bit and skew your trigger pull reading.

I had the same problem with my new 40 Pro 5" [6.75 lbs] i tried the apex competition kit that i had bought for my wife's 9mm pro but it only dropped the pull down to 3.5 lbs but on the 9mm pro it was like 2.75 lbs the only difference between the guns is the 9mm pro has about 3000 rounds thru it where the 40 pro has had 21 rounds thru it,also the new 40 pro has the bigger sear spring.

I was going to send it to S&W to have it fixed but got ahold of Dan Burwell and he said that he could get it in so i sent it to him. Now my only problem is trying to wait patiently!!!

Or you could trigger pull test it like John Scouten and pull the trigger back a little, then place the trigger gauge bar at the very tip of the trigger. He used the trigger guard. The trigger gauge finger was placed between the trigger and the trigger guard, this way the guage was at the very bottom of the trigger which increases the leverage substantially, thus lowering your number, increasing the WOW factor at how low the trigger pull is on the guage. My jaw hit the floor when I saw him do that. I wasn't surprised his pull weight was very low considering. Testing my M&P the way he did and mine was 1.75#. Tesing it the correct way (in the middle of the trigger where your finger would be) and it's 2.25#.

Or you could trigger pull test it like John Scouten and pull the trigger back a little, then place the trigger gauge bar at the very tip of the trigger. He used the trigger guard. The trigger gauge finger was placed between the trigger and the trigger guard, this way the guage was at the very bottom of the trigger which increases the leverage substantially, thus lowering your number, increasing the WOW factor at how low the trigger pull is on the guage. My jaw hit the floor when I saw him do that. I wasn't surprised his pull weight was very low considering. Testing my M&P the way he did and mine was 1.75#. Tesing it the correct way (in the middle of the trigger where your finger would be) and it's 2.25#.

I saw a certain aftermarket glock trigger guy at a major match and he told me that was the proper way to read the poundage on a glock trigger, right at the break point.. :blink:

I was like ok, gee whiz,thanks Mister; Ill bet you sell a ton of em!

Yeah, my Pro is pretty new. I suspected that larger sear spring could be making it a little heavier. I'll check it again. I could have been pulling it wrong. I'd like to get it down to about 4 lbs.

Yeah, my Pro is pretty new. I suspected that larger sear spring could be making it a little heavier. I'll check it again. I could have been pulling it wrong. I'd like to get it down to about 4 lbs.

Ya'll want a M&P Production gun with aporoximately 3 lbs? If you have at least some common sence you can do this yourself for $125.00

Follow the links for both items. Same site for both items.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

Ya'll want a M&P Production gun with aporoximately 3 lbs? If you have at least some common sence you can do this yourself for $125.00

Follow the links for both items. Same site for both items.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid36.html

I have installed the Apex parts in a few M&P's and the results were pretty consistent on all of them. With the Apex sear and firing pin block or a modified FP block and stock springs they were 3 3/4lb and with comp springs they were 2 3/4lb.

If I install the Apex Comp. Kit, are the springs still heavy enough to ignite all brands of primers, or do I need to stick to Federal?

I have put roughly 1000 rounds through mine with a mix of Precision Delta, a lot of Georgia Arms, a lot of Atlanta Arms and some Federal Wal-Mart special without a problem.

If I install the Apex Comp. Kit, are the springs still heavy enough to ignite all brands of primers, or do I need to stick to Federal?

Even though I usually run Federals for production loads because I used to run Glocks, I loaded and shot several hundred with CCI primers and they all fired in my Pro with tha Apex competition kit.

Edited by RH45

I've never heard anyone suggest Federals were the easiest to light up, and in fact I thought they were sort of the acid test (well, short of Wolfs). Did I get it wrong? I've never used Federals, so I don't know or have an opinion--I just somehow got the impression they were thick-skinned compared to others such as CCI or Winchester.

Anyway, I'm very curious about how much influence the striker spring has on trigger weight. Intuition (well, mine anyway) would suggest not a whole lot, but I wonder if anyone has actually measured trigger pull with all things equal except the striker spring (stock vs Apex Competition).

The "light" striker spring that comes with the Apex kit is not like a Glock light striker spring. The Apex spring is a good 4 coils longer than the stock M&P spring. I tested trigger pull weight with and without an unmodified Apex striker spring. The difference in pull weight was so slight that it really didn't benefit using it. However, I took the 4 coils off to match the stock length and then it dropped the trigger pull weight a whole half pound. .5lbs. If you're worried getting light strikes, leave the stock spring in and use the rest of the Apex kit. Most people can't tell a half pound difference with their finger anyway.

I just got my .40 Pro back from Dan Burwell. Had him do the regular trigger job and reduce the pre-travel. He did a great job as far as what I authorized. However, the reset leaves something to be desired-it is a faint click and one could easily miss it if they weren't looking for it. Why did S&W design them like that? Is it all Pro's or just some? What is the solution for improving the reset? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...