Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets

badmonkey

I just rec'vd an order also, AWESOME 200 grn rnd nose 40 cal bullets.

Early testing shows great promise, if you have his email or phone number give him a ring/post.

(who needs a wesite when your product's this good :D )

Or maybe after Scotterj visits he can post the info after personally checking in with Donnie

to see if he's ready for the influx of orders.

I am betting he is also trying to get a decent backlog of bullets built up before he gets the site back up as well.

I Received my 147gr 9mm and 180gr .40's two weeks ago and they are both great. They shoot about 30fps faster than the comparable BBI's with the same load and have less smoke.

Great product Donnie!

• 2 weeks later...

They are there and open for bidness. I picked up 9,000 boolits today. Got some shiny new equipment too.

Happen to have a phone number or email address or some form of contact info? Or is he still not taking orders?

They are there and open for bidness. I picked up 9,000 boolits today. Got some shiny new equipment too.

Happen to have a phone number or email address or some form of contact info? Or is he still not taking orders?

I talked to Donnie a few days ago and ordered some bullets.

Bayou Bullets / 225-324-4501 / bayoubullets@yahoo.com

He's a busy guy right now redoing the shop and making bullets and is in the process of getting the website updated and back on line.

Greg

• 3 months later...

Is there a recomended powder in this type of bullet and any suggestion on OAL for 40sw 180gr.

VV N320 will get the most votes by far. With that said it is more expensive and harder to get for some. That is what I use, but have had good results with Solo 1000.

OAL depends greatly on what gun you are shooting. For my STI single stack and limited gun I am at 1.185.

IMO Titegroup is the most common for .40 and a good choice. I use Solo 1000 now after using TG for many years.

My OAL is generally around 1.175-1.180. My guns runs with anything around that length so I don't spend much time worrying with anything in that general area.

Edited by Merlin Orr

IMO Titegroup is the most common for .40 and a good choice. I use Solo 1000 now after using TG for many years.

My OAL is generally around 1.175-1.180. My guns runs with anything around that length so I don't spend much time worrying with anything in that general area.

They are talking Bayou Bullets which is a moly. Titegroup burns to hot for a moly. Great powder for jacketed 180/200 bullets.

Having shot a few precision moly bullets and some bayou bullets I'd guess that the bayou coating probably isn't moly. I could be wrong on that. Even if it does contain some moly it's properties are very different from the precision bullets. I don't know what it is but it reminds me of an epoxy resin. It does not come off on your hands like the moly coating and does not seem to damage as easily from over crimping.

I have tried titegroup indoors with lead, moly, bayou, and jacketed in 9mm. I found the smoke from the moly to be pretty bad and I agree it is not a good choice. It gave me a sore throat in fact. The bayou bullets created more smoke than the jacketed but less than the other two. In my limited experience (50 rounds) I thought it was probably acceptable but agree there may be better powder choices.

They are talking Bayou Bullets which is a moly.

The coating on Bayou Bullets is not moly, they have a hard green coating of some sort and I don't think you will see anymore smoke than jacketed with them regardless of powder used.

Greg

They are talking Bayou Bullets which is a moly. Titegroup burns to hot for a moly. Great powder for jacketed 180/200 bullets.

I have seldom ever (Very rarely) shot anything other than Precision Black Bullets. Many cases of 9, .40 and .45 bullets through quite a number of different guns using TG. My perception of to much smoke is quite different than those who find the smoke levels with Precision Bullets objectionable.....

I have also shot a number of Bayou Bullets with both TG and Solo 1000 and the Bayou Bullets to me appear to smoke no more than jacketed bullets.

I do now use Solo 1000 and think it is a better choice.

All of this is just a subjective and personal observation. YMMV......biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the info. I did try titegroup and did notice a little more smoke than jacketed and it smell like burning electrical wire some shooter said in my squad.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using W231 with good results... I also wanted to say, if he couldn't fill an order he didn't take it. That is not leaving someone hanging, it's good business. I never met Donnie in person, but would consider it an honor to do so one day. He spent a good bit of his time helping me through e-mail and on the phone with some issues I had when I was learning reloading. His bullets are great, and I will be ordering more very soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I called last week to order some 40 cal 180 gr and it went straight to his voice mail. I figured since it was almost 5:00 he had already called it quits for the day. He called be back about 6:30 pm and was still at his shop cranking out bullets. Answered all my questions and seemed happy to do so. I ordered 2500 from him and if they shoot half as good as everyone says they do, he'll be getting all of my business from now on.