Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Start out with a tuned gun or...

BhmJeep

So this weekend I am picking up my Christmas present to myself :rolleyes: a new Glock 34 for shooting USPSA production class. I have never shot in a match yet but have been practicing with my SA XDm .40 and did a workout with a great guy that shoots Limited.

Herd mentality kinda sorta moved me to the G34 but there is probally a reason so many Production class shooters use it. I was not hitting very consistantly with the XDm even shooting .40 minor loads, the front sight on the SA is a white dot but very dull. I did go to a local indoor range and rented a G17 and ran 50 rounds thru it. Wasn't great, wasn't bad, but it did feel better than the XDm.

So the real REAL question is, since I am just starting out, do I go ahead and swap out the sights with fully adjustables, install a new trigger setup, get my slide fitted, apply the grip tape (only to the weak side), install the extended controls, get the Blad-Tech holster and CR belt, buy the cleats, etc... etc... etc... Just because I can afford it does not mean I want to spend it. Does it help to start out with a tuned gun ready to go and start training with that, or is it better to learn on a 80% gun (or pure stock) and learn the basics on how to shoot well and then tune the equpiment and re-learn the "new" gun but with a better understanding.

My gut tells me to swap out the sights (because of my eyes) and at least do the 25 cent trigger job with a set of Wolf springs for smoother crisper trigger from the start. Probally a BT holster beacuse I dont have a holster for the gun anyway.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants? - - I do have thick skin and don't offend easily so let me know what you think. I am here to learn, not to be petted on.

Thanks again,

Mike

I agree with you when you say "just cause I have the $$$'s doesn't mean I have to spend it!" Wish I had thought of that maaaaaaany years ago!!!!! I have old eyes and need good sights anyway so I would swap them out, but try to check out as many as you can before you spend and make a mistake. If I could do a .25 TJ I would. Do the GT if you want. Get the BT holster because you need one. Buy a few extra mags because you'll need them. If you don't reload, consider it. If you do, but components. Find a mentor and practice with him/her. The one you already worked with seems OK but maybe not. Find a place/club to shoot practice matches, even if indoors. Dryfire. Have fun and give it a while before you go WH (whole hog)!

JMHOFWIW

Richard

Not so important to start out with a tuned gun as it is to start with a gun that works. Shoot that gun for a while and get the basics down and find out what YOU need and want the pistol to do. You do need a good rig so the bladetech holster and pouches are good stuff. I like a wildnerness belt for the stock gun stuff but thats just personal. Just start out with a simple basic rig and spent your money on ammo. Improve your pistol and gear as you go along based on knowledge and experence, that way you dont wind up with a closet full of gear you dont need or use. A good comfortable pair of hikers will serve you well. Piles of empty brass will point your way to gear that works for you.------Larry

Edited by Larry White

Not so important to start out with a tuned gun as it is to start with a gun that works. Shoot that gun for a while and get the basics down and find out what YOU need and want the pistol to do. Just start out with a simple basic rig and spent your money on ammo. Improve your pistol and gear as you go along based on knowledge and experence, that way you dont wind up with a closet full of gear you dont need or use. A good comfortable pair of hikers will serve you well. Piles of empty brass will point your way to gear that works for you.------Larry

+1

Pretty much how I started out, Leather CCW holster and leather dual mag pouches, until I felt comfortable and knew I was going to continue in the sport. As far as the gun went I already had some Trijicon sights (night) on it. then went to FO front. added grip tape, then trigger job. Got the DAA belt, CR pouches and Bladtech DOH holster, the clets, Rudy glasses, all decked out, and know I am here to stay.

Santa did bring me reloading gear, thats how I got into this sport. So I would think about that gear, first or if not worked in there some how.

Welcome to the addiction!!

Edited by carter300

My gut tells me to swap out the sights (because of my eyes) and at least do the 25 cent trigger job with a set of Wolf springs for smoother crisper trigger from the start. Probally a BT holster beacuse I dont have a holster for the gun anyway.

You should listen to your gut. ;) That sounds like a very good set up to get you going. You will figure out what you need when you begin shooting more. You can waste a lot of money on silly shit in this sport. I know I've done it. :blush:

Learn to play the game first, then decide what tools you want to use to play the game your way. I shot for a few years without the CR belt and pounches. I did just fine. I shoot with a group of six guys (Team SSF) and we all shoot Glock 24's but each of them is set up completely different as well as our belt/mag/holsters. To each his own.

Edited by sirveyr

I shot for several months with very basic gear mostly because I wasnt sure what I wanted. Your first 3 or 4 matches need to be about getting comfortable and being safe, NOT being competitive. After about 6 months I would buy 1 or 2 items per month until I got my entire rig together. That gives you time to research and decide what you want before you buy. My opinion is to start with new sights (not adjustable) and new springs (.25 TJ and 13lb recoil) then start accumulating belts, pouches, etc. Hope this helps... The main things are to be SAFE and have FUN!

Shoot a match with a gun you already own. Afterword you can decide what kind of gun, if any, that you want to get "very" friendly with.

Also, Production is a division, not a class. Equipment puts you in a division. Your skill level determines your class (GM, M, A, B, C, or D).

You made a good choice with the Glock 34. Buy a good belt (CR Speed, etc), a DOH style holster (Bladetech or RediTactical), some mag pouches and just go shoot. Later, you can add sights and a trigger job. I have shot USPSA for decades and best move I ever made was to sell the Open Class pistols and focus on Production. I shoot a G34 with a production legal Vanek drop-in trigger upgrade. It is so much better to focus on the shooting my having a simple, reliable weapon system.

I say get a good Bladetec DOH holster since you have none. Better to buy it once. For the gun, some good sights, and grip tape go a long way and would be my first mods, Next would be a lighter recoil spring and a trigger job.

^ Agree

The stock sights are really poor, so that would be my first mod. If you are over 40 or so, you might benefit from a FO front sight, but that depends on your eyes. I like the Dawson sets, becasue he guarantees they will work and will swap out a front if they don't. I'd try a few guys sights and see what your eye picks up better.

Then go shoot some matches, at least 4 or 5 before you do anyhting else. Have someone who knows what they are doing help film you shooting, from the side, and try 11-15 pound recoil springs and go with the one that returns you to flat. Dipping costs you time.

I'd wait another 4 or 5 matches on a trigger job, learn the trigger control! In production, some of the aftermarket triggers are not production legal, even though they say they are. A bunch of rounds will burnish your parts showing you where to polish and tune. By then you will have some input as to what combination of trigger parts you may want and can tune with more knowledge based on the burnishing. For $20 and 1 hour, you can build a very good crisp 3# Production legal trigger yourself.

DO NOT FIT your slide. First, there is little, if any improvement in accuracy and reliability does suffer. Whatever warranty you had will be gone. Many of them end up with stress cracks. Now, if you meant get an aftermarket barrel and fit that, not really necesary in Production and you won't see much benefit. You could then shoot lead without worry (why would you want to).

I would get a DOH and a double belt, you don't have one and you'll need it anyway. As for shooes, a good set of "athletic" cross trainers or hiking boots with a rounded heel are your best all-around bet.

Just shoot it. Get a decent holster, belt and some mags and pouches.

Sights. The stock glock adjustables that come on a 34 aren't totally worthless.

Shoot them for a while. Look around at matches, and when you see someone with

different sights on their Glock, ask to take a sight picture. Find what you like,

then buy. Personally I like the Warren Sevigny black competition sights--but that's

just ME.

Your G34 comes with a factory 3.5# (or whatever they call it this month) connector,

as well as a extended mag release and extended slide release. No need to mess with them,

unless that extended slide release causes you grief.

Recoil springs. Stock works. I generally use a 13# or maybe 15# ISMI on a captured

stainless guiderod.

Trigger. Fluff-n-buff if you want. Or just wait until you run a thousand rounds through

it--it will smooth up.

Grip tape. Yes--especially if its a wet or sweaty day. Skateboard tape, tru-grip,

whatever. My personal choice is Brook's Tactical A-grip. A little spendy, but it

works wet or dry and isn't so aggressive that I can't shift my grip if I want to.

Cleats? Depends. Are you in danger of falling on your butt during a COF? Then maybe

you need some cleats. Or maybe you just need to slow down and get your hits. :D

LOTS of shoe threads here--do a little search. I prefer Underarmor Hammer's.

I was in your position about a couple of years ago; I shot a couple of matches with the stock gun then went whole hog on changing out everything that didn't feel perfect. Switched out the trigger for with a Vanek package, put in Warren Tactical sights (had them on my Sig 226 and liked them), put on Tru-grip tape, and bought CR Speed magazine holders (already had a Blade-Tech holster for the G34). Didn't replace the stock barrel on the 34 since I was shooting plated bullets. The sad thing is that after shooting Production for about 8 months, I switchd over to shooting Limited and started the process all over again :D

Mike

The sad thing is that after shooting Production for about 8 months, I switchd over to shooting Limited and started the process all over again :D

Thus the advice to start out getting good on the trigger and thes rest of it, making small changes until you are sure what you want.

+1 to all above comments.

The other thing to consider is not only whether to upgrade any given part, but also what you want in it's place. Do you want new sights? If yes, do you prefer to see a lot of light, or a smaller rear notch, or a larger front,etc. The same goes for everything else. Lighter or heavier recoil spring? Grip tape or no? Etc, etc. Shoot the crap out of it as is, and you'll get a better idea not only of what needs changing, but how you want it different. BTW, the Glock 34 is one of the better guns out of the box, so you won't be shooting yourself in the foot too much in leaving it stock.

I am of a different mindset, but only on 1 condition. Here's my opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

NASCAR drivers don't practice in anything but a real race car, they don't do laps in their Honda in preparation for the Daytona 500, HOWEVER, they do already know what they want. Suffice it to say that if you KNOW what mods you will want to make to your gun, do them all now and practice with the real thing. If you're not sure what you want or you're just not that into it yet, there is nothing wrong with upgrading as you go. If you're like me and do alot of research before building or modifying, you likely already know what you will want to change on the gun; it's just a matter of when. If you have the cash to afford those upgrades AND ammo, do the upgrades now, all at once. You will not be sorry. Since the feel and operation of your gun will not change, you can focus on learning how to index, reload faster, and shoot more accurately. You will know what your gun feels like, with the grip tape, extended mag release etc. You will not have to relearn how to shoot that particular gun quickly and accurately. Sights are probably the biggest thing here.

Shooting safely and accurately should take priority over speed. The NEEDED upgrades cannot hurt you to start with, though.

FWIW

-Erik

P.S. This post is not meant to ensue a flame war or say that anyone's opinion about making mods gradually is incorrect, this is simply my personal mindset about such things.

NASCAR drivers don't practice in anything but a real race car, they don't do laps in their Honda in preparation for the Daytona 500, HOWEVER, they do already know what they want.

Erik, while your opinion has merit, your analogy is not accurate. The MAJORITY of NASCAR, and drivers in the other elite series, REGULARLY practice in reduced power, reduced agility cars, compete in lowere series and at local tracks. Akin to an OPEN GM going and shooting a wednesday bowling pin match with a .22 RF revovler. In fact the Indy car driver I used to train with would always pay for our go-cart sessions and take it as a tax write-off for "training". They have a cost-benefit analysis approach as well, albeit at a much higher rate. The top drivers typically race 100 events or so a year, so over twice the number at lower levels than the top series. That is not even mentioning informal track sessions at local tracks. And what pro drivers do to rental cars...

You're right, Mark. Bad analogy, the basics of shooting can be learned and solidified by shooting guns of many types and power levels. My point was simply that indexing the mag release, trigger, or learning the "feel" of a new grip/tape for a gun that will be used in competition can be done without confusing the body if mods are done all at once. The one condition, that I failed to explain, is that the shooter already KNOWS the mods that he wants done to the gun. This can only come from extensive research or experience. Perhaps I won't be so quick to speak next time. All in good humor and hoping to help anyone here.

So the real REAL question is, since I am just starting out, do I go ahead and swap out the sights with fully adjustables, install a new trigger setup, get my slide fitted, apply the grip tape (only to the weak side), install the extended controls, get the Blad-Tech holster and CR belt, buy the cleats, etc... etc... etc... Just because I can afford it does not mean I want to spend it. Does it help to start out with a tuned gun.

My gut tells me to swap out the sights, a BT holster beacuse I dont have a holster for the gun anyway.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants? - - I do have thick skin and don't offend easily so let me know what you think. I am here to learn, not to be petted on.

Mike

Mike,

Obviously you sound like you want to compete and be competitive. Get your gun set up now.

Do the sights (Warren Sevigny FO from Dawson).

Trigger kit (I like Glock trigger.com)

Jagger guide rod (call them, tell them what you want to do with the gun, and do as they suggest)

Get a standard slide lock lever (it comes with extended on the G34)

Grip tape is a must.

BT holster is awesome.

Get yourself the AGI Glock DVD if you like to know how to work on your pistol.

Go have fun.

I am of a different mindset, but only on 1 condition. Here's my opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

NASCAR drivers don't practice in anything but a real race car, they don't do laps in their Honda in preparation for the Daytona 500, HOWEVER, they do already know what they want. Suffice it to say that if you KNOW what mods you will want to make to your gun, do them all now and practice with the real thing. If you're not sure what you want or you're just not that into it yet, there is nothing wrong with upgrading as you go. If you're like me and do alot of research before building or modifying, you likely already know what you will want to change on the gun; it's just a matter of when. If you have the cash to afford those upgrades AND ammo, do the upgrades now, all at once. You will not be sorry. Since the feel and operation of your gun will not change, you can focus on learning how to index, reload faster, and shoot more accurately. You will know what your gun feels like, with the grip tape, extended mag release etc. You will not have to relearn how to shoot that particular gun quickly and accurately. Sights are probably the biggest thing here.

Shooting safely and accurately should take priority over speed. The NEEDED upgrades cannot hurt you to start with, though.

FWIW

-Erik

P.S. This post is not meant to ensue a flame war or say that anyone's opinion about making mods gradually is incorrect, this is simply my personal mindset about such things.

There are zero needed upgrades in production. My production gun has nothing done to it. Zilch. Nada.

it's not a surprise to me that a guy with 12 posts on here is telling someone with 17 posts that he needs to spend $300 on his gun before he even gets to a match.

I shot single stack for years before I even installed a magwell. Just shoot.

There are zero needed upgrades in production. My production gun has nothing done to it. Zilch. Nada.

it's not a surprise to me that a guy with 12 posts on here is telling someone with 17 posts that he needs to spend $300 on his gun before he even gets to a match.

I shot single stack for years before I even installed a magwell. Just shoot.

You take a jab at two guys with low post counts, then say you "shot SS for years" when you've only been a USPSA member for 2 years and have 19 or so matches on your classification card? That's funny stuff right there! :lol:

For the OP, better sights, a smoother trigger and some grip tape will help most folks shoot a little better. No, it probably won't make a significant difference in your match performance, but it may remove some doubt in your mind "could I do better with X"....and if so, it's worth it if only from a mental perspective.

Reality is, you'll probably make some sort of changes eventually, and if you keep them mainstream (what most folks are doing) it's unlikely that you'll wind up with a bad combination, or something that holds you back. R,