Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matt MclLearn's Hard Finishes

pjb45

Does anyone know about the finish that Matt is putting on his guns. I have seen it a couple of times now. It is supposed to be harder than anything else, i.e., can not be measured on the Rockwell scale.

I would call him but I am at work which limits my internet and calling capabilities.

Thanks

Mike from Schuemann has a 6" that Matt built with that finish. I can't speak for its durability, but it sure LOOKED awesome. I played with it at Area 8 and was really into the color. Not a timeless classic, but super cool.

Thanks for the information. I have seen the finished up close and personal in two matches - Nationals and A2. I was actually looking for the actual details of what it is and who is doing it.

Does anyone have this specific information?

Nice pic who took that? They are rocking some serious razor thin depth of field = yummy.

Off topic... but my guess is that it was done in post... Look at it carefully - the depth of field is not a regular plane (or, more correctly, sphere)...

Being in racing the last 12 years while taking a brake from shooting I found the toughest and slickest coating that I found is alpha coating we used it on shock shafts should work good on allot of internal gun parts I think alpha coating would look good on the barrel of that thing .They cant do frames though no ffl. Mark,

Edited by mark carr

I have a Open gun built by Matt (Just a great gun..period!). Anyway I would call Matt and get the Details...I looked at a number of guns that had the Ti finish and I can say they were all a bit different. After speaking with Matt I got the impression that depending on the metal and the amount of time the coating is applied the result will be different. So what the end product will be is anyones guess....personally I did not like the uncertainty of what the gun would look like. But if you want something different then it is the coating for you.

Last I knew Matt was using a company called Eifeler-Lafer. They do the coatings for Mike Calloway at Schuemann and Matt McLearn. I've got a couple guns down at Matt's that will be going there to be coated. Their website sucks and it's clearly not a gun-centric company. But it seems like a pretty cool coating.

The coating is called a ( PVD ) coating. I had Matt build me an open gun a couple of months ago and that is what is on my invoice. I will be taking the gun back after the first of the year to have the coating put on. I think the picture above is of what they call "Copper Canyon" It runs from green to blue and copper. Each gun will look different because of the process used. I will get a picture when mine comes back.

STU

That's dead sexy! What price range are we talking about?

Larry

I paid under $300 for the PVD coating. But that was with him building my open gun. I have no idea what he would charge if you sent him your gun. Give him a call, I am sure he would answer any questions.

STU

Edited by STUS4X4