Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me understand USPSA scoring?

toothandnail

First , I have only shot outlaw matches that basically use USPSA safty rules .

I just shot a match the rules had me :wacko:

The score sheets had.

Penalties

procedural = 10

miss = 10

FTE = 10

FTN = 10

no shoot = 10

bonus = -10

My ?? where does the miss penalty come in? I'm sure no one was counting shots.

Also an over looked/skiped target was scored as, procedural , FTE , FTN .

I assumed a procedural would be ,stepping out of the box, shooting targets in wrong order, shooting targets while over the line, ect.

If a shooter timed out it was scored 1 way , if he had a malfunction and timed out it was scored another

While it was ALOT of fun ,it seemed to me , it was more about penalties/minute rules than shooting.

Help me understand

The miss penalty comes from when the targets are scored; if two holes are required and you only have one, that is a miss.

A procedural CAN be stepping over a line, or shooting them out of order, etc. It CAN also be not shooting a target at all.

There is no FTN in USPSA; we do Fail to Engage for not shooting a target at all.

Off the top of my head, I'm not familar with a shooter timing out on a stage, but if their gun breaks so bad they can't finish the stage, that's a different situation.

It's a sport where people compete, so there are rules. Once you shoot a few matches, all of this will make much more sense.

FY42385

Some "outlaw" groups put on great matches, but if their rules are not published, I doubt we can be much help. I'd suggest you contact one of the folks that run the match and ask if you can come out early next match, help set-up, and get a little clinic on their scoring methods. Anything else is just us guessing, which may give you bad info.

Edited by MarkCO

Nothing wrong with an "outlaw" match, but if you get serious, you might want to hook up with one of the nationally or internationally organized games. Joining one or another will get you a rules book that will lay things out more clearly. You might check for sanctioned matches in your area to start out with.

Grumpyones post should have read

"The best and worst resource for understanding USPSA scoring is the rule book.....

http://www.uspsa.org...esProof3web.pdf

Page 21 Section 9"

Sorry just could not help myself.

But as the others have suggested get to a match and shoot it lots, there is nothing like shooting the match and getting used to the way it can be done. Making mistakes is all part of the learning process, there is no shortcut.

Sorry I screwed up my 2nd sentance, I should have clarified , it WAS SUPPOSED to be USPSA rules, at least that was my understanding at the start.

Sounds like it was an outlaw match with too many little rules.

BTW is the USPSA rule book REALLY 108 pages :surprise: or is most of that other stuff(hopefully)!

I started downloading it but stopped when it said 108 pages :blink: