Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mec-Gar Factory Mags

david s

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just went to the range Yesterday and all three of my mags for my .40 witness were jamming. I cannot wait for a fix to this problem. Do you guys think that if we sent in the mags to EAA for warranty that we might possibly get back the new design?

Ha ha ha ha lol!!!

You must be being sarcastic or haven't dealt with EAA's customer service before...

Edited by ck1

Just went to the range Yesterday and all three of my mags for my .40 witness were jamming. I cannot wait for a fix to this problem. Do you guys think that if we sent in the mags to EAA for warranty that we might possibly get back the new design?

When I first bought my Limited Pro 9mm and ordered some extra mags from EAA and found out they didn't work and were jamming, I spoke to one of the gunsmiths and he said that I had to send the gun and mags back and they would tune them for me. Instead I learned how to tune them myself. Mine all work now.

Edited by gerritm

Got the new mags today. They are 9mm.

Here are my observations:

• They have a nearly full width, full length spacer. The old mags spacer stopped about 3/4" short of the bottom of the tube, so you had to modify it to run extenders. Also the spacer was very narrow, and the follower would hang up on it occasionally.
  • The follower, spring, and spring retainer are different, and I they seem to be "better". The old followers would have a mushy feel when they bottomed out at the top of the mag tube, and these seem to come to a more solid stop.
  • They hold 17 round stock, and I think the old ones were 16. Also with just the Henning "reloading pad" they hold 18.
  • They seem a lot "slicker" than the old ones. When I was unloading them I didn't notice the binding that I normally see in the old style mags. All the rounds popped out.
  • The stock spring is LONG. It measured the same length as the Grams 11 coil spring I run in my 140mm mags.
  • I put a Henning H-141 pad on there (with the stock follower) and was able to load up 21 rounds in the mag. I then tried to force 22 rounds in there and the follower got caught on the spacer at the bottom. I think you could probably get 23 or 24, but you'd need to fill in the pad so that there isn't a gap where the spacer ends.
  • and finally
  • With 21 rounds loaded up there was little to no gap between the first and second round. With 18 it felt solid and the 1st and 2nd round were touching.

So all good so far. I'll try to shoot em this weekend and give you guys a report. I'll compare them to my CZ75 FrankenMag, and the newer old style rear spacer mags (that they made very few of).

So far its looking good my friends....

- Nealio

Edited by Nealio

God I hope so, I am really hoping to move up to limited this year but the mag issues are making me very worried to plunk down the cash. Especially since I can only afford an EAA Limited or a CZ75 Tactical Sport which seems to have the same issues, although I am planning on getting the EAA since its a little cheaper and I can use that money for an upgrade or two.

Here are a couple pics of the new 9mm MecGar mags loaded with 21 rounds:

post-23941-064488000 1295120104_thumb.jp

post-23941-069413400 1295120158_thumb.jp

You can see the noses are touching.

I haven't shot em yet, but I'd be VERY surprised if these don't work really good. They seem to position the rounds better than the CZ75 mag I"m running and that thing has been flawless.

Edited by Nealio

Nealio, have you shot these, yet?

Sorry, no I haven't. Been busy with other stuff, and its been raining on the weekends here in the Idaho desert.. :)

For sure I'll be shooting them in just over a week, but I'm going to try and sneak out (if weather permits) on Saturday.

I'll try to provide a full report for you guys.. :)

So I shot the new magazines today. There isn't a lot to report, really. They fed great and worked as I expected them to. I ran 100 rounds of my handloads through them without a hitch.

However I need to modify my base pads if I'm going to run more than 20 rounds in them. The follower snags on the rear spacer if you put 21 rounds in the magazines and try to load one into the gun with the slide forward. I think all you needed to do is put some JB weld in the extension so the follower can't get caught below the spacer.

Anyone tried factory loads through these yet?

Also any word on .40S&W mags? Really hoping that these mags fix the feed issues people are having (namely in .40S&W since that is what I am planning on buying for use in USPSA Limited)

I shot my 9mm Limited.

Also I don't see how these wouldn't feed factory ammo well.

Another thing to note was that I was shooting with a guy that had a M&P 9mm, and the mags looked nearly identical.

Edited by Nealio

Also any word on .40S&W mags? Really hoping that these mags fix the feed issues people are having (namely in .40S&W since that is what I am planning on buying for use in USPSA Limited)

Iggy

There is not really an issue with 40 cal mags that cannot be solved by the sizing of brass and attention to OAL. The Henning mags will run very well in 40. Just pay attention to Cha-Lee's detailed account on how to deal with 40 cal issues.

The 9mm mags are another story entirely. This design with rear spacers worked with everything I put in them including some really short factory stuff.

Best regards,

Jim

Iggy

There is not really an issue with 40 cal mags that cannot be solved by the sizing of brass and attention to OAL. The Henning mags will run very well in 40. Just pay attention to Cha-Lee's detailed account on how to deal with 40 cal issues.

The 9mm mags are another story entirely. This design with rear spacers worked with everything I put in them including some really short factory stuff.

Best regards,

Jim

Yes I have read all about resizing brass and getting the OAL just right, however, I am not in a position to reload my own brass so I am forced to either use Atlanta Arms reloads (which I will be doing as often as I can) or store bought factory ammo. Because of this the entire OAL fix is out of my hands (I know Atlanta offers a "long" at 1.18 or so but people have had problems with that as well) so I am in a spot where I have to look for alternatives and my first thought was these mags. Every time I ask for information for people in my position all I get is people saying I need to re-size the brass, which I have explained until I am blue in the face that that is not currently an option for me.

My problems with the .40 didnt go away until I used the Gizmo/U-Die as a push through system. Even with new brass loaded to 1.18, 1.2, 1.25 I would get nose dives. Since getting the push through setup everything works great! I was basically forced to start loading my own ammo. I love the way the guns feels and shoots, so all is well that ends well!

I'm waiting for the new 40 mags also. I don't reload my own 40, not because i cant, because its WAY cheaper not to for me. I've tweaked my mags countless times and no matter what I do i have the same reccuring problem. Slingshot the slide and I'm fine, release the slide lock and they run right into the front of the mag :angry2:

Like Iggy, I'm glad the Udie is working for you, it ain't for me.