Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Huge car keys

sirveyr

A thread about car keys got me all fired up...again. :angry2:

Why are all car keys so f*#king huge? My wife's 2010 Altima doesn't have a traditional key, but has a fob that is the size of the damn garage door opener. My 2002 F-150 has a traditional key, but it is still pretty damn big. My work truck, a 2003 F-150, also has a large key. It is nearly impossible to have all of these on a single keyring.

What happened to the days of actually placing the key into the door to unlock the truck and then actually using the key to start the vehicle? I remember all of my old cars and trucks could be started with a nail or a screwdriver. Hell, my last '94 Ranger would start if you just turned the ignition. It was a little worn I guess. :blush:

Even worse is the socalled "Keyless" entry, but you have to carry around a box thats larger than a key.

Yeah, that's what I meant, keyless entry. I carry this huge thing in my pocket and then push the giant "START" button on the dash. Ugh. <_< I guess I'm supposed to feel like I am starting a spaceship or something. :blink:

I remember all of my old cars and trucks could be started with a nail or a screwdriver. 

I think you hit it right there. You don't want people to be able to do that.  There's no good reason you can't have security AND have it be small. 

The extra enraging bit with the keyless stuff is that they passed a point where they went from making things more secure to less secure. Now i can sit in a car in a parking lot with a radio, catch id's duplicate them, and drive off with your car. 

Be glad you don't rent cars a lot like I do!

Most companies like Hertz insist on connecting both sets of keys together on a steel cable. You have this huge glob of keys because (I can only surmise) they are afraid of losing the spare set. I wonder what they do when you lose them or lock them in the car? I already know they don't have the spares!

slightly off topic: works that way with most aftermarket remote start systems (hide key in transponder and loop the ring around the key cylinder)

key for my Tundra is kinda large too. miss the good ole flat steel ones. But my Snap On tool box key is just as obnoxious.

• 2 months later...

Ugh, I know all too well. I drive a Dodge Durango and the fob part is as big as a Zippo with the key sticking out. The circuit board broke (which i found out is a common problem) and then the spare went. To replace these at the dealership was $200 plus.

I like the unlock/lock feature because living in PA, my locks get frozen 4 month out of the year.

I found out it was the same price to get an auto-start installed (which should go in the "what i love" forum, it's awesome).

so now i have a big honkin key that doesn't do anything b/c it's broken and a big honkin auto start fob.

At least now I'll notice if my keys aren't in my pocket...

Believe it or not, these big keys are one of the things making my wonder about upgrading my truck. I have an old 1996 F-150, with 250k miles on it. It just keeps running and running. It has the old flat key. One that I have is in my wallet, just in case, and I can hardly tell it is there when I am looking for it. The everyday key is only slightly bigger with a plastic handle on it. I really like that the lock in the steering column is warn such that I can pull the key out with the truck running. Nice if it is cold, and I want to leave the truck/heater running, but lock the truck while I go inside someplace. Also nice that I can leave the truck running while I unlock the range gate, etc.

But I kinda need a vehicle with 4 seats in it, and all the new stuff has these huge keys/security fobs.

Maybe they are designing for women, that keep keys in purses and not pants pockets.

But then the younger generation..... My 21yr old is always pissed when he has to drive my truck, and he actually has to put a key in the lock to unlock the door, and it does not automatically unlock all the doors when he does....... Now IPhone apps to unlock and start your car from your phone??

Mark K.

This is the fob I have for my MINI. I don't mind something with keyless entry, but I have to stick the whole thing into the ignition.

post-11739-040578700 1292164542_thumb.jp

post-11739-024044400 1292164556_thumb.jp

The Mini key is designed to provide the car with some additional weight to the passenger side. devil.gif