Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Production Rules

NRAActionPistol

All,

Here are the 2011 Production Rules:

3.2.1 Production Firearm - The intent of this rule is to encourage the use of Production Firearms as manufactured and promote NRA Action Pistol Shooting at the “Grass Roots” level. Accordingly, in order to keep this class from becoming and “Equipment Match” Single Action only pistols are prohibited”.

A Production Firearm is a semi-automatic handgun or revolver which is or has been a catalogue item readily available to the general public equipped with factory notch & post sights. All standard safety features of guns must operate properly. The firearm shall have no visible external modifications except as follows:

a) Grips may be replaced or modified to fit a competitors hand or facilitate loading. Checkering, stippling, grip tape and sleeves are permitted.

B) Barrel length may not exceed 5.35 inches for semi automatic pistols and may not exceed 6 inches for revolvers.

c) Wide "target" style hammers and triggers, if included on the firearm as originally manufactured are permitted.

d) Only open sights may be used. The front sight must be a non-adjustable post sight. The rear sight may be adjustable if the firearm was originally manufactured with an adjustable sight. Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm. Fiber optic sights are permitted.

*e) Barrels may be replaced with original factory or after market barrels with the same configuration and caliber of the original barrel. Modifications to the slide or frame to facilitate the use of the aftermarket barrel are not permitted.

*f) Semi-Auto firearms must fire the first shot of every stage in double action. Revolvers must fire all shots of every stage double action only.

*g) Semi-Auto trigger weight may not be less than 3.5 lbs. in any mode, revolver Trigger weight may not be less than 3.5 lbs. in double action mode.

*h) External finishes, either protective or decorative and other non-functional embellishments (such as engraving, inlays or inscriptions) are permitted.

*i) Production holsters must be designed for draw from the top only. Holsters must cover the slide up to minimum of ½” below the ejection port in semi-autos and a minimum halfway down the cylinder on revolvers. Holster must prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger of the handgun when holstered.

The following firearm modifications are prohibited.

a) Single action only firearms.

B) Custom-shop firearms.

c) Changes in the original factory sight configuration of the firearm, front adjustable sights.

d) Peep, ghost, optical, electronic, Bo-Mar and Aristocrat type sights.

e) Thumb rests, grip or magazine extensions.

f) Compensators or ported, weighted barrels.

g) Competition, Race Type and Open Front Holsters are prohibited.

*h) Milling of slide, slide ports are allowed on only factory-original approved models.

Based on sugestions from competitors & firearm manufacturer's the NRA Action Pistol Committee made some clarifications to the rules marked with an asterisk*. These are the ONLY Rule changes for 2011.

NRA Pistol Department

Edited by NRAActionPistol

Very nice.. Good clarifications. I do have a question though.

*f) Semi-Auto firearms must fire the first shot of every stage in double action. Revolvers must fire all shots of every stage double action only.

.. no decocking after the first shot? Ex.. Only the first shot on the plates is the only one fired Double Action ? Or should one read the above "stage" as "string"?

I think the interpretation here is that every "first shot out of the holster" has to be fired double-action. Just my understanding, and maybe wrong. According to the rule book though, a "stage" is each yard-line......i.e. the 10 yard "stage" on Barricade involves both strings of fire from that distance. So there again, my interpretation above may be incorrect. Guess we'll get more definition as time goes on, but that's a good question!!:cheers:

Alan~^~

Good to know. My USPSA production gun isn't legal. Guess I will have to shoot the limited gun.

Not sure what gun you have or what you could have done and still meet USPSA rules, but the three or five (if I ever get one back from my Dad) I have, are all IPSC / USPSA legal and NRA Prod Legal or easily made NRA legal.

Glock 34, replace the -2 connector with std connector.

CZ SP-01 Shadow, factory issued (not from CZ USA) single action is 3 3/4lb, with IPSC allowed mods 2lb second pull.

S&W M&P 9 (1 each Pro and std) both make 3 1/2lb after first shot. Both can be made lighter to meet IPSC / USPSA rules, but with as issued springs they are NRA legal.

Glock 17 G4, as issued no mods makes the NRA rules.

S&W 686, both guns are pretty much as supplied with a gentle polish job and factory return springs. One however has factory adjustable front sight, but triggers all make the NRA rules.

And this is what some poor sod in New Zealand has.

I think the interpretation here is that every "first shot out of the holster" has to be fired double-action. Just my understanding, and maybe wrong. According to the rule book though, a "stage" is each yard-line......i.e. the 10 yard "stage" on Barricade involves both strings of fire from that distance. So there again, my interpretation above may be incorrect. Guess we'll get more definition as time goes on, but that's a good question!!:cheers:

Alan~^~

Yep, your probably right. I guess i didnt know why there was a * by that one, i thought that rule was clear last year.. thought maybe they were changing it.

Yep, they did change it. Last year it read "(f) All production firearms must fire the first shot of every stage double action." They just clarified that the revolvers have to fire EVERY shot DA. That word "stage" still needs a clarification as far as I'm concerned. I don't think that's what they meant.

Alan~^~

I think the interpretation here is that every "first shot out of the holster" has to be fired double-action. According to the rule book though, a "stage" is each yard-line......i.e. the 10 yard "stage" on Barricade involves both strings of fire from that distance.

Alan~^~

Each Stage out of the Holster, 1st shot MUST be fired Double-Action.

NRA Pistol Department

Is a dove tail front sight an adjustable sight?

What is a custom shop firearm?

Tom

No it isn't. At one time S&W made a front sight that had 4 settings. I believe it was for silhouette shooting.

If it says "Performance Center" don't use it.

What if it does not say "Performance Center" ?

Good to know. My USPSA production gun isn't legal. Guess I will have to shoot the limited gun.

Not sure what gun you have or what you could have done and still meet USPSA rules, but the three or five (if I ever get one back from my Dad) I have, are all IPSC / USPSA legal and NRA Prod Legal or easily made NRA legal.

Glock 34, replace the -2 connector with std connector.

CZ SP-01 Shadow, factory issued (not from CZ USA) single action is 3 3/4lb, with IPSC allowed mods 2lb second pull.

S&W M&P 9 (1 each Pro and std) both make 3 1/2lb after first shot. Both can be made lighter to meet IPSC / USPSA rules, but with as issued springs they are NRA legal.

Glock 17 G4, as issued no mods makes the NRA rules.

S&W 686, both guns are pretty much as supplied with a gentle polish job and factory return springs. One however has factory adjustable front sight, but triggers all make the NRA rules.

And this is what some poor sod in New Zealand has.

My CZ SP01 trigger is too light. I also plan to add adjustable sights that will require milling. The Glock 34 is also too light. Really not looking to get another gun just for one game. There is only one club that shoots NRA pistol within 2 hr drive. I try to get my guns setup for as many different games as possible.

Is a dove tail front sight an adjustable sight?

What is a custom shop firearm?

Tom

No it isn't. At one time S&W made a front sight that had 4 settings. I believe it was for silhouette shooting.

If it says "Performance Center" don't use it.

What if it does not say "Performance Center" ?

Then use it. Do you have an example of a custom shop firearm that has no markings indicating that it is a custom?

Stick the std connector in the Glock 34. Job Done.

The CZ factory adjustable sights (made by LPA, look like the old Pachmayr) are legal as they drop right into the slot as cut. Call Angus Hobdel he is sure to have the parts.

My 686AFS was factory off the shelf (1992) with the adjustable front sight, they stopped the 6" version first and then slowly dribbled out the 8 3/8". Then nothing available, can't even get the parts to repair them anymore.

A much clearer set of rules than last year. Thank you for the changes. I would still really like to see two trigger pull weights though. One for striker fired or DAO, 3.5 lbs and a heavier, say 5 lbs for DA first shot guns. You could still use the 2 lb SA cap like you have for all the other guns. I still think the rules are heavily biased, at least on the semi auto side, towards striker fired guns. I have several DA/SA guns that are right about 3 3/4 to 4 lbs for the SA shot. Straight from the factory. Yes they are technically legal but I would imagine if I shot them enough to prep for the Cup they'd be right at or below the 3.5 lb level. I just have a hard time with a division meant to attract new people, who might not even own a trigger scale, where someone might show up with a factory gun and get bumped to a different Division. They're also close enough where depending on how you test the pull you can get them to go off lighter.

I know it's not possible to change for this year, just something for future consideration.

I think the interpretation here is that every "first shot out of the holster" has to be fired double-action. According to the rule book though, a "stage" is each yard-line......i.e. the 10 yard "stage" on Barricade involves both strings of fire from that distance.

Alan~^~

Each Stage out of the Holster, 1st shot MUST be fired Double-Action.

NRA Pistol Department

The rule book has Courses of Fire (events), and in that event it has stages which are each Yard Distance as correctly outlined by Alan. Each stage has two strings. Therefore the literal wording requires DA first shot each stage, not each time out of the holster (string).

Therefore if the NRA wants DA everytime out of the holster, the wording needs to be changed from "stage" to "string". The wording above is still unclear because "each stage out of the holster" is the first shot of the two strings only???

A much clearer set of rules than last year. Thank you for the changes. I would still really like to see two trigger pull weights though. One for striker fired or DAO, 3.5 lbs and a heavier, say 5 lbs for DA first shot guns. You could still use the 2 lb SA cap like you have for all the other guns. I still think the rules are heavily biased, at least on the semi auto side, towards striker fired guns. I have several DA/SA guns that are right about 3 3/4 to 4 lbs for the SA shot. Straight from the factory. Yes they are technically legal but I would imagine if I shot them enough to prep for the Cup they'd be right at or below the 3.5 lb level. I just have a hard time with a division meant to attract new people, who might not even own a trigger scale, where someone might show up with a factory gun and get bumped to a different Division. They're also close enough where depending on how you test the pull you can get them to go off lighter.

I know it's not possible to change for this year, just something for future consideration.

This simple way would be to stop being different just for the sake of being different. Drop the language requiring the minimum 3.5lb trigger pull and just say no single action first shot for any string. Doing this would bring NRA Action pistol closer in line with the other two larger, more popular action shooting disciplines in the U.S., USPSA and IDPA.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really, really glad that they made this rule change for revolver shooters. I had my 686 converted to DAO with the hammer spur kept intact this year just to get around the 3.5lb rule, but it's nice to see that other shooters won't have to go to that extreme to shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

R-Bros_JLR ,

The Glock is considered as a DA Type firearm. As soon as you remove your finger from teh trigger the sear is essentially unset and teh striker is as far forward as it can be.

gusshuman,

You can use the spur on a revolver if you wish, but not for the first shot, the gun as set up from the factory would make the 3.5lb rule on the single action. But who knows what the DA pull would be on a factory gun and who would want to use it at that weight. So all those that want to be able to be competitive would remove the SA notch, therefore gun is now DAO, but this is production so no external modifications allowed. Removing the spur is an external modification.

I believe a big shit fight erupted over external mods (hammer spurs specifically) in 2003 when it was called stock gun, and hardly anyones gun was stock. So at least they are getting this right, piece by piece as problems appear.

NRA Pistol Department

Not much point in getting rid or the single action notch now.

Al is right, the hammer spur is now useless but as GM said it is an external modification.

I do have a question about about the sights allowed in production. I replaced the rear adjustable sight on my Glock 34 with a Dawson adjustable rear. I thought this was allowed since I replaced one adjustable for another, but now I see that Bomar type sights are prohibited. Which is it? I don't know of any other adjustable sight for the glock that isn't a clone of a Bomar. What am I missing? Thanks.

Mark