Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In what order do you retrieve moonclips from your belt?

High Lord Gomer

I use a James Austin Moonclip server and pick the six moonclips from the same spot. For stages more than 6 moonclips, I have 3 more Shoot-the-moon holders on the belt. (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=284503)

cimg1071_thumb.jpg?w=504&h=379

More info about the moonclip server here : http://gunbot.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/more-reload-practice-with-austins-moon-clip-server/

The real key to fast speedloading with moonclips is to use your eyes! Don't reach around blindly. Bring the gun right down by the front of your belt, focus your eyes on the first moonclip that comes into view (it doesn't matter which one it is), watch your hand pluck the moonclip off the post and keep watching as it falls into the cylinder.

I guess I need to remember that not every revolver shooter has my svelte physique. ;)

Sounds like Bob needs to complete the R&D on the North Mountain Shooting Glasses Extension Mirrors so you bigger fellas can see better down there.

I put the heel of the gun stock in the belly button and look the grab to the release into the cylinder and then my eyes (re)acquire the target as the cylinder is shut and the shooting grip reacquired. Start close to the holster and work left. The real question is how far left before the switch to the weak hand reload is made...?

All I know is I never grab the first one. The first magazine either. Doesn't matter where it is, at my zipper, at the hip bone or way back behind my hip, I seem to always miss that first one. :rolleyes:

I'm sort of reaching 'below the bulge' for the clips in a North Mountain holder. What I did in practice was load the holder with 8 clips of dummy rounds. Starting with revo loaded with a dummy clip and out in firing position, I'd eject the clip, then reach down [w/thumb, index and middle fingers] and grab one. Then it's load, present as if firing, eject, grab and repeat. Then I checked where that 'natural grab' got the first couple of clips off the holders.

Once I knew where I was reaching for naturally, I adjusted the location of the North Mountain holder on my belt so that an end post of the holder was in the natural position. After the 1st 2 clips are used, my grab slides down to the next post in line, and so forth. I don't have to remember where I got the last clip, although I often will shorten up the grab as a stage gets me further into the clips available.

The main thing is that you have to practice with dummy clips IMHO to get faster at doing the reloads consistently.

Oh, yeah. If you're shooting a COF with multiple strings with reloads, make sure you readjust the clips on the holder so that the optimal position is full before each string.

[quote name='Carmoney' timestamp='1291263648' post='1340298'

Sounds like Bob needs to complete the R&D so you bigger fellas can see better down there.

This set-up works well...........Adjustable too...!!!!!!!!

post-4092-083584300 1291406121_thumb.jpg

post-4092-009104100 1291406136_thumb.jpg

post-4092-002839200 1291406150_thumb.jpg

Edited by D.carden

I guess I need to remember that not every revolver shooter has my svelte physique. ;)

Sounds like Bob needs to complete the R&D on the North Mountain Shooting Glasses Extension Mirrors so you bigger fellas can see better down there.

Finding moonclips does not have to be an issue for full-figured revo shooters.

I have been using the "sight optimator" for years and swear by it.

If enough people are interested, I can do a small production run and sell them here on the forum.

An orange light with back up alarm is in the works for even fluffier wheelgunners.

post-16271-001131200 1291604171_thumb.jp

Edited by Team Amish 1

Finding moonclips does not have to be an issue for full-figured revo shooters.

I have been using the "sight optimator" for years and swear by it.

If enough people are interested, I can do a small production run and sell them here on the forum.

An orange light with back up alarm is in the works for even fluffier wheelgunners.

now THAT is an ingenious invention!!

With moonclips double stacked on a North Mountain 4 post holder, in what order do you retrieve them. While practicing this morning I found myself lost, even occasionally grabbing two at a time.

Hate that I am just now seeing this post. I just curious Mike what made that morning any different than the rest :goof:

If you use the Switch Hands method start nearest the holster and work CCW on the top row.

If you use the Carmoney Technique, gun stays in the strong hand, I'd start on the Left Side and work CW on the top row.

Reasoning being that, as with Autos, start at the end closest/facing your reloading hand and work from there.

The grabbing 2 can only be solved by practice. Even then I still on occassion get a finger hooked on the lower one and it comes up to the top of and/or off the holder, that's why Bob gave us the 5 poster.