Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 vs. Hornady LNL- which is better

robert-1195

I had been planning on buying a Dillon 650 in the next week or so, but saw a Hornady Lock and Load and now im not so sure. Can someone who has used or has both, let me know why one is better than the other, or is it just brand preference with these two machines because they are so close in performance?

Edited by robert-1195

Both are solid, well engineered machines. I own both and IF I were to buy another it would come down to price. Right now the LnL is less expensive and caliber changes are definitely less expensive.

I don't really think their is a huge difference in the overall performance. I do however like the Hornady's shell plate movement being a two step process using metal pawls and the primer system is much easier to deal with....

Lee

LNeel is pretty spot on. I can crank out a few more rounds per hour on the Dillon. The LNL is easier to do things like just deprime and size or to just reseat bullets shorter and recrimp. I like the LNL powder measure better. I just ordered the LNL bullet feeder, and plan to locate it beween the two loaders.

I have the lock n load, and overall it great there would be some things I would change but it is good to go. I have broken parts (my fault) and the CS is unbelivieable, they shipped everything free, and I got the guy to through in a primer tube.

I don't think you could go wrong with either press.

LNeel is pretty spot on. I can crank out a few more rounds per hour on the Dillon. The LNL is easier to do things like just deprime and size or to just reseat bullets shorter and recrimp. I like the LNL powder measure better. I just ordered the LNL bullet feeder, and plan to locate it beween the two loaders.

Thanks for the info. When you get the bullet feeder up and running, please post some pics and info on how you like it. Im considring it also, but have only seen a video on you tube about it. Im curious to hear from someone who uses it alot.

Good luck with the LNL AP. I've had it for a little over a year. I'm loading 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP. Mine needed some minor adjustments to the pawls after the first few months. The first shell plate spring didn't last long but the 2nd still looks like new. It probably gave it's life to wear some sharp edges down. Periodically clean the primer seater.

Nobody in this business stands behind their product better than dillon. If it is a couple dollars more upfront, I can guarantee it is cheaper in the long haul and you can not beat the performance or support when you need it.

To me it is not even a question, the answer is, and will always be dillon .

P.s. Dillon does not sponsor me to speak highly of their product. I speak of it uncompensated from them.

Edited by Matt P.

I have used both and bought the Hornady with a case feeder. I have had to make up some plastic tubes to get from the case feeder to the press. I load 9mm, 357, 45 ACP, and 44's currently.

I would go with the Hornady if I had it to do all over again. I just like being able to use my old dies. The Hornady powder measure is top notch. Pretty much a matter of choice. I strongly

suggest you try both as they are quite different in operation and are quite pricey!

I just like being able to use my old dies.

You can use your old dies unless it's a sqaure deal B can't you? I have a 650 and a 550 and have used dies from Dillon, Lee, Hornady and RCBS. On some of the dies with shorter bodies you can put the lock ring on the botton of the tool head.

... I just ordered the LNL bullet feeder ....

Where and what cost? I'm considering getting one.

Grafs.com $243.00 I spoke to them and they expect them in first week of December.

I just took a look at the Grafs website, and saw the rcbs case feeder for 299. is this a good price or standard?

Edited by robert-1195

my LNL has had easily 10K rounds loaded in under a year. Its been great, and anything Ive needed from Hornady theyve taken care of no questions asked. Even when I forced things that shouldnt have been and broke some parts.

Im getting the casefeeder for Christmas, and after I see some reviews on the bullet feeder that'll be purchased in 9mm and .45acp.

my LNL has had easily 10K rounds loaded in under a year. Its been great, and anything Ive needed from Hornady theyve taken care of no questions asked. Even when I forced things that shouldnt have been and broke some parts.

My dillon has easily over 10,000 rounds, .....last month... :sight:

I have a LNL AP.

I like it... it is the only press I have ever tried, other than watching my friend load on his 550.

IDK what Dillon's customer service is like but it sounds the same as hornady's....Everything I ever needed they shipped no questions ask... I cut my retaining spring and broke the small primer feed due to stupidity.... I called hornady and told them ... "hey I broke this and I also need a new spring" "Where do you want it shipped, we'll get you a new one and I'll toss in a retaining spring pack for you."

All free of charge...

I can do 400 rounds an hour with mine.. this is including reloading the primer tube 4 times(I only have one at the moment) I use a powder cop die to make sure that I don't have double/under charges.

MIke.