Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-4x on a budged..

jostein jensen

I've got a good deal on an AR without optics and really need some advice about what to put on it.

I've been away from shooting for a while and don't know whats new and whats good for an "affordable" amount of cash. If I could afford it I would have bought a Zeiss or similar, but I think a Meopta, millet or similar is more my price range.

Its main use is IPSC open division with all my everyday shooting at 0-50m but the occasional level 3 I'm going to attend here usually has a target or two out around 300 yards.

Whats the best "budget" choice?

JJ.

whats your budget? there are some deals on trijicons in the classifieds right now. if thats too high, the Burris Tac30 from Midway seems to be a nice optic for the money. I have one, and like it so far. Hi-lux has a budget optic, but i havent seen much info on them.

I'm watching this thread.

If there are any 1-4s for under $300 with decent illumination, I'd be interested to hear about it.

i got my TAC30 for 299 from Midway. the illumination is visible in the daytime, especially on light colored targets.

I'm pretty fond of the Weaver 1-3x for a budget scope.

I agree...very good value for just under 150 bucks. When I was making this same decision I went with the Weaver over the Millet because its less than half the weight, and has better glass and nicer eye relief IMO. Sure, it's only 1-3....but would be just fine for the distances stated.

Edited by DanielW

I'm watching this thread.

If there are any 1-4s for under $300 with decent illumination, I'd be interested to hear about it.

i got my TAC30 for 299 from Midway. the illumination is visible in the daytime, especially on light colored targets.

I guess the only remaining questions are:

Is it as fast as a dot when set on 1x and close targets?

and

What kind of mount did you use?

I'm pretty fond of the Weaver 1-3x for a budget scope.

I agree...very good value for just under 150 bucks. When I was making this same decision I went with the Weaver over the Millet because its less than half the weight, and has better glass and nicer eye relief IMO. Sure, it's only 1-3....but would be just fine for the distances stated.

/\ /\ /\

this...

If I can hit 300yd targets with it...

wink.gif

I was actually thinking about trying this one out:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=294571&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics%20-%20Scopes%20-%20Under%2012X-_-PriceCompListing-_-294571

It seems to have decent reviews and <half the price of the Nikon....

edit...

this site has more information:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-leapers-accushot-1-4x28-30mm-long-eye-relief-cqb-scope-scp3-1428l1.html

Edited by midget

Bushnell Banner 1-4 It is around $80

I have been using the scope above for the last year. It has good glass/eye relief, especially for the price. The reticle works great out to 150-200 on flashers, larger targets, etc... It is PERFECT for close hoser paper stages... I have not had an issue in low light, or with dark targets... Changing the zoom is not something that you would want to do during the stage, my scope is tight...

This scope is still on my 16" upper (for matches with max shots of 150 yards).

However...

I just bought the Burris Tac 30 1-4 because I like the illumination and the reticle with holdovers, etc... It is going on my 20" for matches with longer range shots. I was not good with guesstimating holdovers with the other scope)

Run.....away! Ask me how I know ;)

I doubt I'm alone with saying I have learned that (more than any other item I've ever owned), when it comes to scopes/mounts, when something appears too good to be true...it is. I believe there is a definite difference between a quality inexpensive scope and a cheap scope.

I have a Millet 1-4. Not a true 1X and eye relief is horrible. I now use a Trijicon TR24. True 1X, decent scope for multigun. Meopta K-dot is also a good value. I'll stick with this 2 for their optics and simple reticle and get them used for much better deal.