Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This is gonna hurt .....

BlackBuzzard

Lead up 43% in the last six months......similar for copper.

Would seem the current reckless fiscal and monetary policies are pushing money out of cash and into commodities of all types.

Inflation is here now.

Goes for food too......prices just have not yet adjusted retail.

Oil at $84/barrel with the economy still flat lined?

BB

Its a bubble, already starting to correct. I would not fret too much about it. Just my professional opinion. Alot of my hedge fund buddies/investment managers are starting to come out of it.

Edited by Maksim

My ususal suppier for lead shot is out. of everything.

He usually has a couple of tons sitting in all sizes ( 9, 8, 7.5 ) but yesterday all he had was relcaimed which is fine for me but I usually pick up a bag or 2 of new shot and was shocked. he said that everyone is anticipating a big price jump so they have stared stockpiling. it reminded me of 2 years ago when the big ammo shortage started.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! More hoarding! <_< We do this to ourselves...

I don't look at ti as hoarding. I am trying to save myself some $$$. We are relatively certain that the prices of the reloading consumables is going to jump due to the increase of prices of raw materials used to manufacture said consumables. With that assumption i see no problem in ordering extra bullets.

Pat

I wouldn't call it hoarding either, shooters are generally a smart bunch.. and usually have some extra money to buy more bullets than they need in order to save some money down the road. Get them before they go up by about 10%, I would call it a smart move!

I need to order a case of .45 bullets, maybe 2 would be in order. I dont see a problem with ordering an extra case or 2, but i have aproblem when people buy say 5 or 6 extras just because. That was a serious problem last year with primers. lets not do it with bullet too.

Pappy used to tell me..."so just whose fault is it?" When something stupid I did bit me on the ass...

So, Let me assume the role of "Pappy" and present this to those who seem unfamiliar with the concept of self reliance and preparation.

The Ant and the Grasshopper.

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, to pay for his hobby and lay up supplies for the coming ammo shortage.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a hoarder and bitches and moans about the unfairness of preparation and foresight.

Comes the ammunition and component winter, the ant is stocked up and ready.

The grasshopper has no primers or bullets, so he continues to bitch and moan about the unfairness of it all - even though the wise Ant had pointed out the upcoming shortages.

"harden the **ck up."

The "shortage" did not get me the first time and it DAMNED sure is not going to catch me this time.

Of course this is just MY opinion....devil.gif

Pappy used to tell me..."so just whose fault is it?" When something stupid I did bit me on the ass...

So, Let me assume the role of "Pappy" and present this to those who seem unfamiliar with the concept of self reliance and preparation.

The Ant and the Grasshopper.

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, to pay for his hobby and lay up supplies for the coming ammo shortage.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a hoarder and bitches and moans about the unfairness of preparation and foresight.

Comes the ammunition and component winter, the ant is stocked up and ready.

The grasshopper has no primers or bullets, so he continues to bitch and moan about the unfairness of it all - even though the wise Ant had pointed out the upcoming shortages.

"harden the **ck up."

The "shortage" did not get me the first time and it DAMNED sure is not going to catch me this time.

Of course this is just MY opinion....:devil:

Then the Mantis eats the grasshopper and the ant and walks off with the spoils. :devil:

JT

Edited by JThompson

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! More hoarding! <_< We do this to ourselves...

I guess my reply was not so much directed at "us", the shooters, but more at the asshat shops that hoard primers and sell them 100 primers at a time.

I stock up on all of components just like everyone else. Ask anyone that knows me, I've been preparing for the zombie apocalypse for years now. :rolleyes: I just rotated my MRE's at the time change and restocked the 5.56 under the stairs. :blush:

I realize that there are many other factors that affect pricing. However, it seems to me that it is the other factors, more so than the price of lead, that drive the price of bullets.

From that first link (the five year spot lead chart), it would appear that the price of lead spiked in late '07/early '08 with a big jump in bullet prices. (I'm sure most of us remember that.) As far as I know, the price of bullets didn't come down nearly as much (if at all) when the price of lead returned to the low '05/'06 levels a couple of years ago.

Price of lead has little effect on the current price of bullets and wont effect the future prices. Its supply and demand, During the metal price spikes of fall 07 lead was at about 1.75 per pound some bullet companies folded others raised prices and sold em faster than they could make them, all the while blaming the prices on high lead cost. However shortly after that spike prices crashed. Winter 08 saw prices around 35 to 40 cents per lb, Any one remeber bullet prices dropping to 05 levels ? Nope I dont either. When the prices spiked manufacturers realized the bullet market would support much higher prices. So when supply prices fell they left the prices the same and increased profit. Now lead is going up again, but the lead price was already used as an excuse to raise bullet prices last time.

I really am not interested in bullet company excuses, please dont insult my intelligence, simply say bullet prices are up because people are willing to pay it and we are maximizing our profit. I dont blame you for that , its a business, business are about profit. Profit is a good thing. As consumers though if we want to see prices drop we need to refuse to buy until they do come down. A company that stays sold out I wouldnt expect to do anything but raise prices.

somebody correct me if I am wrong....

but I always thought that historically ammo or bullet prices spiked right around the start of the new year and then right around the quarterly points lead prices spike as industry is about to stock up for the next quarter.

there is more to lead than just bullets.

I don't know if the new hybrid/electric cars are going to use lead acid batteries or not.

just an FYI....if ammo/bullet/primers prices spike again, then the next thing to be affected hoarding wise will be .22 conversion kits and .22LR ammo. then boolit casting melting pots and moulds and sizers.

I'm not real keen on this conversation. it borders on a Glen Beck-ish "the sky is falling, the sky is falling...buy gold now" hype kinda thing.

I was just looking at the kitco lead spot 5 year chart.

back around Oct 07 is when the big spike was...looks to be about $1.75 per pound.

right about that time I was getting berry plated bullets for around $72 a thousand from cabela's.

at about the jan/feb 2008 time frame is when I realized that those same berry's bullets had literally doubled in price. :blink:

I have since discovered that there is some QC issues with the berry's being undersized so I don't shoot them or buy them any more.