Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading

outerlimits

so i'm in the garage loading rifle bullets for a 3 gun match. nice and quiet-dillon cranking out 69's fast and smooth. can't remember whether it was during the upstroke or the downstroke, but there was this real load "BOOOOOOMMM"!!!

i look down and notice i still have 10 fingers. the press is in one piece and all the rounds are still in the shell plate. ears ringing more than normal. i check my pants and they mysteriously seem to be dry still. wtf?

well let me tell you, you do not want to be inside a closed garage when a fully sprung double garage door spring decides to cut loose. helluva rush but i can't take too many.

Edited by outerlimits

I have heard of this happening but never been there. Glad you are okay.

I always get a kick out of stuff like this. Think of all these little scary items most of us have no idea are there really. Things we don't have the necessity to consider with any regularity.. One of them cuts loose, stuff can happen. :huh:

Yeah, a LOT of energy there. Many people hear them go in garage fires and think it is an explosion. I've worked on 2 cases where an individual was working near one when it failed, both died as a result. Not pretty with all the rotation.

A number of years ago I had one break...wow. Then I started to think about how much energy is stored up in one of those springs. When I replaced the broken one I added a 3/32nd cable thru each of all 4 of the springs on our two doors. Come to find out that's now required on new doors if they still use that spring system.

A number of years ago I had one break...wow. Then I started to think about how much energy is stored up in one of those springs. When I replaced the broken one I added a 3/32nd cable thru each of all 4 of the springs on our two doors. Come to find out that's now required on new doors if they still use that spring system.

Now that there is an excellent idea. THX