Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Build

trodrig

Hey folks! I picked up my Caspian high cap frame this week. After checking it out I like how it feels so am planning on building a new open gun on it in 38SC! I'm going to document the process, and ask questions, here. Thanks to Caspian for the support of our sport! I picked up the frame kit certificate from the Steel Challenge prize table! :)

First question is on magwells. Is EGW the only company making add on, wide magwells for Caspian high cap frames? Can anyone tell me if it attaches to the frame with the mainspring housing pin similar to an Ice on a 2011?

Thanks!

T-Rod - I just got mine finished last week (ooops its only a half/Caspian). My smith prefers the Caspian slide for several reasons.

I highly recommend the EGW ultimate trigger kit with the Koneig hammer, with the exception of the sear spring, which is not very spring like. I used an Ed Brown sear spring. Also the AFTEC extractor, Dawson extended firing pin, and Briley Aluminum guide rod and their supported reverse plug..

I'm a cone head open gun shooter so I used a Clark 6" threaded barrel, which Clark cut and crowned for me at no charge, and of course the best comp Dawson DP-2, now I would have used Dawson even without the prize cert I had, but it sure don't hurt that they support the sport. (Won that one at the USPSA Nationals).

If you have decided to build the lead slead bull barrel heman heavy metal gun then Sean Gaines at PowerFactor shooting can fix you up with a barrel that meets your exacting specifications, since all of the Briley barrels are made as bull barrels, for a bushing barrel they actually turn them down to size.

The best deal on the Cheely mount is at Manny USA, of course you are going sideways right? Not that old shool jackedup upright mount.

Find an old beat up broken down C-more send to to them for a overhaul, then when its too bad for repair trade it in on a new one $153 shipped.

Thanks for the info Caspian Guy! So, the EGW slides on from the back and then is held in place by a longer mainspring housing pin? Do you know if the pin comes with the magwell?

Ron, I'll definitely be going straight upright with my Cmore! Not a personal fan of the sideways mount! Probably Dawson or Alchin mount with blast shield. Comp will most likely be Dawson. Barrel will be Schuemann bull. Sear, disco, and hammer are Briley unless the smith I go with prefers something else. Aftec extractor for sure! Already got a Caspian slide too. Can't wait to get this sucker started!!

Thanks for the info Caspian Guy! So, the EGW slides on from the back and then is held in place by a longer mainspring housing pin? Do you know if the pin comes with the magwell?

Ron, I'll definitely be going straight upright with my Cmore! Not a personal fan of the sideways mount! Probably Dawson or Alchin mount with blast shield. Comp will most likely be Dawson. Barrel will be Schuemann bull. Sear, disco, and hammer are Briley unless the smith I go with prefers something else. Aftec extractor for sure! Already got a Caspian slide too. Can't wait to get this sucker started!!

TRod - Pm me next time you come to SA for a match I have a dawson mount with blast shield and thumb rest we will work somthing out. I was saving it for a museum piece.

Thanks Marty! I've always been drawn to things that are a little 'different'.

Raymond, thanks for the info on the EGW magwell. Gonna get one of those on order today! Do you shoot a Caspian open gun??

Ron, thanks for the offer on the Dawson scope mount! I'll let you know when I'm at a match again. Fall/winter is hard with my daughter's schedule at school. But, I'm going to try to make it to the November Alpha Mike match. I've got a Dawson mount with replaceable blast shield on my Trubore. But, I never had any barrel ports put into that gun so I may swap it out for the stock STI mount that I've got in my parts box and use the Dawson on the new build which I intend to have ported. We'll see....

Thanks!

I have a Caspian that I shot for years. I switched to STI a few years ago.

My Caspian frame is a first generation with the round trigger guard. The gun is good as new.I like the way Caspian guns feel I switched out just because I wanted to try STI.

Edited by AWLAZS

Thanks Marty! I've always been drawn to things that are a little 'different'.

Raymond, thanks for the info on the EGW magwell. Gonna get one of those on order today! Do you shoot a Caspian open gun??

Ron, thanks for the offer on the Dawson scope mount! I'll let you know when I'm at a match again. Fall/winter is hard with my daughter's schedule at school. But, I'm going to try to make it to the November Alpha Mike match. I've got a Dawson mount with replaceable blast shield on my Trubore. But, I never had any barrel ports put into that gun so I may swap it out for the stock STI mount that I've got in my parts box and use the Dawson on the new build which I intend to have ported. We'll see....

Thanks!

T-Rod I'll throw it in the trunk of the car just in case.

With the extra weight in the caspian frame I like a standard barrel with a cone comp. The bull barrel can make the gun a bit heavy and make the gun a bit slow on transitions. (but as with most things that is a matter of taste).

Recently rebarreled a wide-body, using an old Schuemann bull barrel with a titanium comp. Works very well and doesn't feel heavier on the swing than another Caspian with standard barrel and EGW comp. I'm a big fan but always disappointed in the quality of mags for .38 Super. Got a mag with a kit and it won't even load without the EGW magwell. The Tanfoglio tubes are - of course - more substantial than the old Springfields but at least I can get those to work, using "modified" Grams springs and followers. I've got Big Sticks from Anglin and Higher Capacity. Both work consistently.

Did a complete build that I'm finishing up so I'll be anxious to track progress on the new build!

Hey folks! I picked up my Caspian high cap frame this week. After checking it out I like how it feels so am planning on building a new open gun on it in 38SC! I'm going to document the process, and ask questions, here. Thanks to Caspian for the support of our sport! I picked up the frame kit certificate from the Steel Challenge prize table! :)

First question is on magwells. Is EGW the only company making add on, wide magwells for Caspian high cap frames? Can anyone tell me if it attaches to the frame with the mainspring housing pin similar to an Ice on a 2011?

Thanks!

To the original poster, I heard through the grapevine that Dawson may be making an ICE magwell for the Caspian widebody in the near future. Although, the EGW magwell works good too.

I have a widebody frame waiting to be built as well. I think I'm going to wait until Spring to see if some new parts may become available over the winter.

Chris

Thanks!

To the original poster, I heard through the grapevine that Dawson may be making an ICE magwell for the Caspian widebody in the near future. Although, the EGW magwell works good too.

I have a widebody frame waiting to be built as well. I think I'm going to wait until Spring to see if some new parts may become available over the winter.

Chris

That would be sweet! Can anyone confirm this??

With the EGW magwell on his Caspian Open gun, I watched (on the timer) as Steve Anderson did sub 1 second reloads to the stop plate during a Steel Challenge match. This was during our reshoot of the match. He was doing it just for practice. That was 25 reloads. He nailed most of them in under a second...to small steel plates. Pretty cool. Of course, he might have been practicing...

He used to run grip tape on the outside (upper shelf) of the magwell to help keep his hand on the gun where he liked it. One year, at Nationals, it was just pouring rain and his old grip tape had come loose. I whipped out my Leatherman and used the file on it to give the magwell a quick and dirty checkering job...while it was in his holster just before his run at the course of fire.

They aren't a super hard material and they do get dinged up if you use the crap out of them. But, they are quick and easy to work with.

i think i remember seeing a Caspian limited gun in the gallery with an SV trigger...it looked great :cheers:

found it...here

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92452&st=0&p=1064852&hl=caspian&fromsearch=1entry1064852

pls post pics of your Caspian project when your done ..i still have a frame

im not sure what to build with :cheers:

Edited by ogiebb

Thanks for the information on the magwell. I guess I'll hold off on that until spring and make a selection then. That limited gun is awesome looking!! I definitely gotta try and get the SVI trigger installed on the Caspian bow!!

The barrel (Schuemann AET 38 Super, finished chamber) and compensator (Dawson TJ) are ordered! Can't wait for those parts to come in and get this baby started!!

I've seen in searches that Tanfolio mag bodies can be modified to work in Caspians. Does anyone know if there's a 170mm Tanfolio tube available that I can use to make a big stick for this build? If so, which model number and where's the best place to order?

Thanks!

:devil:

You can get the Tanfoglio 170 mags from EAA, RSR distributors also has them RSR has a better price .

With the tanfoglio mags you just match the top of the mag to match a caspian mag, dont fool with the mag catch slot

except sometimes you need to make it longer dont lower the mag by cutting the catch slot.

Caspian mags are made by the same folks who make Tnfoglio mags.

Jim/Pa

Sailors ;)