Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

beginning revolver shooter

treefarmer

hello to all after working the Memphis Charity Challenge this past weekend , revolver shooting looks like fun. The only revolver i have on hand is a S & W mod 19. will i be able to use it and be competitive? what is the best speedloaders to use for a guy on a budget? thanks to all replies, any help will be greatly appreciated

Competitive, Yes. What speed loaders, I have no idea. I always use moon clips. Probably Comp 3's, but in the long run moon clips are best. TK Custom will cut your cylinder and you can still use speed loaders if you want. Whatever way you go, just get in the game. You won't regret it.

The only revolver i have on hand is a S & W mod 19. will i be able to use it and be competitive?

It'd be a superb choice for IDPA, but I think you can have fun and do fine with a speedloader-fed gun in USPSA too.

what is the best speedloaders to use for a guy on a budget?

CompIIIs or Jetloaders are the way to go. Fortunately, MidwayUSA.com is having a sale on compIIIs - $12.99 each. 4 would be ideal, but since you can have 3 on your person and 6 in your gun when you start, if you can only swing 3, you can load-and-make ready with loose rounds from your pocket.

Got speedloader holders and a holster? Personally, I like ReadyTacs holders, and many like their holsters. Safariland makes a speedloader holder that'd be ICORE/USPSA-legal, but not for IDPA, in case you ever see yourself competing there with your M19.

Good luck!

Tom

Edited by GrandBoule

The model 19 will be a great gun. It will work for USPSA until you decide to go to the nationals, at which time it's best to shoot Major and a 625 would be the perfect choice. I shoot USPSA with my 686 in minor and have a great time.

Shoot Jetloaders or Comp IIIs. I just switch to all Jets since Comp IIIs have a tendency of sticing after they've been dropped in the dirt. Jetloaders have not had this problem.

Shoot ICORE and have a blast in the Classic Division. No need to get your gun set up for moon clips. Save the $100 and spend it on ammo. Plus moons cost $59.95 for 10. That's another $100 dollars worth of good ammo to practice with.

Moon clips, especially for the K frames will bend. Speedloaders will last years ending up being cheaper.

Might think of selling the 19, clean one should bring a fair price and put those funds toward a 610 or 625. Think a 625 sold on the forum a week or so for $600. There's one in your future if you hunt for the deal. Then you'll have a platform to build something with.

I enjoy the old Smiths, have a 19 and just purchased a clean old 15-2 last Thursday. They have their place but feel the moon clip guns are easier to work with for a new shooter.

Want to shoot both IPSC and IDPA purchase a four inch gun. IDPA requires four inch or less barrel length. Just IPSC, I like the balance of my five inch 625.

Thanks to everyone who came to the MCC Match hope you had a good time, enjoyed running you through stage five, Revenge of the Pugs.

TreeFarmer,

I just picked up an Smith M-27 and have been piddling a bit with it. If you have an M-19 you can probably get started in Revo and then see if you like it enough to spring for the 625 everyone raves about. Reloads, calling your shots, and stage planning seem to be the learning goals for coming in; all of which you can do with your M-19.

Question for the experienced; I have some speed loaders for my M27 that I may not need as many of. Would they work on TreeFarmer's M19? Also, TF, are you right or left handed?

Leam