Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 w/out casefeeder

I am seriously considering a 650 w/out a casefeeder in the next few months. I do plan on adding it later.

I don't mind stopping every 20 or so rounds to top it off and check what is going on. I have to stop every 100 anyway to top off the primers..

I have only used a friends Square Deal so far but don't want to have to trade up in the future. I like to buy once. I still have tools over 30 years old and take care of my stuff. I'm only loading 45 acp in the foreseeable future.

I'm also one of those guys who reads manuals and loves to tinker with stuff so I think I will be alright. As a matter of fact, I've already downloaded manuals for all three Dillon presses and read them online.

Did anyone ever use the 650 w/out a casefeeder and have any suggestions?

Yes the 650 comes with a tube to put cases in. I loaded that way for a few months when I first got my 650. It wasn't bad but it is so easy to go fast with the Dillon that I often ran out of cases without noticing. No big deal, just put the primer that gets ejected into the next primer tube and continue on.

I know a cheap bastard who extended the tube another 2 1/2 feet up with a piece of copper pipe. That allowed him to triple the number of shells it would hold before he had to refill the tube.

Don

Just takes him that much longer to fill the tube with brass that is positioned head stamp down. It takes longer to fill the tube than load the rounds in the tube.

Personally I couldn't imagine having a 650 without a casefeeder. I realize some folks budget won't allow buying everything at one time but I would be looking for a part time job so I could order a casefeeder with the 650. They are that good.:cheers:

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

I know a cheap bastard who extended the tube another 2 1/2 feet up with a piece of copper pipe. That allowed him to triple the number of shells it would hold before he had to refill the tube.

Don

Just takes him that much longer to fill the tube with brass that is positioned head stamp down. It takes longer to fill the tube than load the rounds in the tube.

Personally I couldn't imagine having a 650 without a casefeeder. I realize some folks budget won't allow buying everything at one time but I would be looking for a part time job so I could order a casefeeder with the 650. They are that good.:cheers:

Pat

Agreed. A 650 w/o a Casefeeder is just, well, silly.

:)

I was in exactly the same position as planenut. I bought more press than I needed in the hopes I would never have to upgrade and lose my investment in caliber changes, know how, parts, etc. Brian told me I was "silly", too!.

I bought the 650 without a casefeeder. My youngster thought it was great fun to put the brass in the tube. It isn't hard to set up and fill the tube from the top or put on a short tube and just put a case in every time as you would with other presses.

It didn't take long, though, to order one. Not really because I was unhappy without it, but I could be much happier with it.

Bob

might as well buy a 550 and call it a day if you dont want a casefeeder

I plan on adding the casefeeder later.

However:

1. It does auto index whether it is truly a speed advantage or not.

2. It is upgradeable in the future

3. I don't have to keep my head moving from the left side to the right side of the press.

4. I don't have to take my hand off the handle for 20 rounds at a time.

5. After 20 rounds, I can do a powder level check, primer level check, quality check and then just drop another 20 in the tube.

6. It might also look better to a spouse not to drop another 200 plus on the initial outlay. Or maybe it might look better to me! :)

I am pretty sure about I will have one before 2011...

Thanks to all

I understand that.

My main motivation for the 650 was safety. I had loaded a couple of thousand rounds with a friends 550 and caught myself nearly double charging a couple of times.

Part of maturity is understanding your own limitations and weaknesses. I am not a detail oriented person by nature.

To load safely I demand an absolutely sterile environment. No kids, no phone, no radio, no tv.

I'm not saying others should reload this way, but its what I require.

While I was at it, I realized that auto indexing made it more difficult for me to double charge a load and the ability to use the dillon powder check was just another layer of protection.

For those reasons, if I didn't have the money, I could still see myself getting a 650 without the feeder.

Buy the 650 tomorrow, and on the way home from work, stop at the mall and tell Santa you want a casefeed for Christmas!:)

I like that idea... Already accused of buying everything I want and leaving nothing for them to get me...

Now that's a problem I could live with! :cheers:

Pat

I can not imagine having to stop all the time and refill the tube. To me, not having a case feeder on the 650 is a deal breaker. I would STRONGLY recommend the Hornady L-N-L if you can't afford a case feeder. You have to get into a rhythm and you can't do that stopping every 15-20 cases.

Don

Actually I bought a bunch of clear 5' tubes with the same dimensions as the stock tube. It holds about 70 .45 shells. I have 5 of them so I kind of use them like gun magazines. Load all of 'em up then then just replace them when one is empty. Cheap bastard? Yes. I bought the press w/o a casefeeder on craigslist but it was brand new. I hope to afford the feeder some day, but it gets the job done for now.

Just go for it.

Don

Actually I bought a bunch of clear 5' tubes with the same dimensions as the stock tube. It holds about 70 .45 shells. I have 5 of them so I kind of use them like gun magazines. Load all of 'em up then then just replace them when one is empty. Cheap bastard? Yes. I bought the press w/o a casefeeder on craigslist but it was brand new. I hope to afford the feeder some day, but it gets the job done for now.

Just go for it.

I like the extra tube idea... Kind of like having extra primer tubes!

I'll have to look for them at the local hardware store..

If you were to by a XL650 right now... in the grand scheme of things the casefeeder with the needed shellplate is an extra $212.95!!!

The new Blue press is out, price increases are on the way... plus if you order the casefeeder with a press you get the whole thing shipped FREE.

I agree... XL650 without a case feeder... just silly.