Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I read somewhere that the financing for the second and third Swedish films fell through, and while Dragon Tattoo was created for the big screen, Played with Fire and Hornets nest were only made for TV. You can feel a distinct change in quality about 20 minutes into the second movie when suddenly everything got really inexpensive production wise.

The American version might actually be pretty decent, if the trailer is any indication.

I really liked the books and the first movie, but I was pretty disappointed with the second movie. I also thought it was weird to write in a "character" (the boxer) who is actually a real person. It got even stranger when they cast him in the movie. It just comes too close to breaking the 4th wall for me and it was a distraction.

Funny story below that has a small spoiler for those who haven't read the first book or seen the first movie:

My mom's friend read the book, and went to see the movie when it was playing in an arthouse movie theater near her home. Naturally she knew when the major rape scene was coming up, and she timed it so she could go to the bathroom and skip the nastiness. Well, little did she know the one-theater cinema did the patrons a "favor" by pumping the sound from the theater into the bathroom so they wouldn't miss anything during their potty breaks, so she had to sit on the throne and listen to the whole rape scene anyway. lol.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the third movie. If you have not read the books and only watched the movies, then the third movie is pretty faithful to the book. However, a couple of the side story lines were not fully depicted in the movie. This need not distract from the core themes of the books.

Too bad the american film version will lack the grit of the swedish movies.

All in all, two thumbs up for me.

• 1 month later...

I havent seen any of the movies but based on this thread I bought, Girl with dragon tattoo,

To Duane, there were several refernecs to her kickboxing training as therapy in the book,

All in all I am wondering if I read the same book you guys did, Or the movie musta been alot different than the book, I found the book a bit dry, It got bogged down too much in finacial matters, When a few action scenes started the writer would cut away after a paragraph and cut to a discussion about exchange rates or something.

The book could have been 100 pages shorter if Larson left out all the times he described making coffee and making and eating sandwiches, there were entire pages literally devoted to the subject.

This may have been the translator, but having almost every side character in the book with a name starting with an "H" made it difficult to read.

I liked the last third and liked the parts that focused on Salanders adventures and misadventures, she had a pretty cool outlook on the world. The story overall was pretty good, but I found myself wishing the writer would just get to the point sometimes.

I watched all 3 movies on Netflix too. I thought the 1st and 2nd were great, but the 3rd kind of lacked the action. They are all enjoyable and totally worth watching, in fact I went out and bought the books.

I watched the second movie on the 4th of July. Watched (kind of) the dubbed version on one screen of my computer while doing stuff on the other, so I really wasn't giving it the attention it deserved. Or at least so I thought, until reading some of these posts. Maybe the problem WASN'T that I wasn't paying enough attention. :roflol:

• 1 month later...

The trailer already looks better, I duno Duane I guess I didnt really get the movie. I read the book first and dont really think I would have had much clue what was going on without reading first.

The book seemed to go into way too many details, the movie left out to many.

• 1 month later...

Just about done with GWTDT, it is fantastic.

Will be picking up the movies and other books ASAP.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are doing the soundtrack (I am a huge NIN and TR fan) they won an Oscar for their soundtrack to the Social Network movie. Karen O is from The group Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

New trailer link;

Mouth Taped Shut a tumblr site dealing with GWTDT movie stuff; http://mouth-taped-shut.com/

I thought #1 was absolutely superb, #2 kinda sucked, and #3 was...well, at least it was better than #3.

I can see the sense in remaking the trilogy. While it would be well-nigh impossible to make a better version of #1, I do think they could easily do a better overall job of making the entire trilogy.

After seeing the originals, and seeing that they use a different actress, I don't think that'll work for me. That chic is just so right for the story, the one in the trailers for the American versions seems so soft and ingenuous in comparison.

• 2 months later...