Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monster Match

NewColonial

I was reviewing the videos of the Monster Match at http://practicalshooting.posterous.com/mondays-match-videos-2 and thinking how fun that seems. Then I saw the last video on that page. It's also at

Watch until :33. Are those spectators down range? Wow.

Edit. Apparently BE forum embeds the video. Cool. And I just notice people at the left side of the berm too. :unsure:

Edited by NewColonial

this is the classic example of why video is not allowed in uspsa rules arbs, obviously they are on a different stage and aren't downrange the targets are close to the180 probably, if you think this is bad definitely don't go to double tap

Edited by mhop

We we shooting the CoF in "pits" with berms down both sides and the back. While you were technically shooting in the direction of other people, the berms are pretty high. I would estimate that someone would need to be about 25' tall and be standing directly on the other side of the berm.

I felt perfectly safe and I'm not much for having guns pointed at me.

mhop,

Okay. I'll take your word for it. That's looks awfully close at :36 in the video. I guess looks can be deceiving. I'll stand corrected. :-)

Video isn't allowed at USPSA? I never knew that. I've seen a lot of vids of USPSA matches.

The "spectator" in the red shirt downrange is a dummy. Literally. As to the people seen in the video off to the right and left, you have to take into account the FOV (field of view) of the camera. They are probably well past the 180.

I get asked these questions on my videos a lot, and most people don't realize that some of these hat cams have a 100* FOV. What looks like 10 feet further would be the shooters is really quite a bit beyond the 180.

we've all been parallel to a muzzle at some point. That is why we have the 180 rule. If you are standing at the 200 or 230 mark, your as safe as anywhere on the range.

Wasn't aware USPSA didn't allow video. When did this take effect?

Edited by Codycoyote

The wide angle lens used on the hat cam is distorting the view. Those people are standing outside of the bay and well behind the 180 which is parallel but downrange of the shadow cast by the shed roof.

The match was run per the USPSA safety rules. It was an oustanding match and very safe.

Video evidence is not allowed for USPSA when there is an Arbitration committee (or disputes on the rules). The previous posters are all saying "arbs" as an abbreviated version of "arbitration." It is confusing jargon for some newer shooters.

It is completely okay to use video cameras & post video from USPSA matches.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Yes, it does look a bit spooky, but I wouldn't put any real concern into it based on that. As has been stated, the camera lens gives a different perspective from what you would observe in person.

Having said that (code for, "BUT"), I have had some trepidation with similar stage presentations. I'm not worried with experienced shooters engaging targets that far uprange in a bay, where casual observers are in line-of-sight,. I worry about someone who might be new/nervouus wanking their trigger so bad they could maybe send one into the crowd. And those folks are at every match I've ever attended, even if it was me...a while ago.

I know it limits the stage design somewhat but I prefer to move the "top" part of the stage downrange a bit even if it does compress the course of fire a little.

Camera angle be damned, that is hairy stuff right there. You are talking about someone making a 10 degree mistake and it could get ugly fast. They needed to move the start a bit farther into the bay and those outside target too. We had something I thought was hairy at A5 too, but htere wasn't much to do. Next time it will be taken care of...

JT

Edited by JThompson

Camera angle be damned, that is hairy stuff right there. You are talking about someone making a 10 degree mistake and it could get ugly fast. They needed to move the start a bit farther into the bay. We had something I thought was hairy at A5 too, but htere wasn't much to do. Next time it will be taken care of...

JT

Agreed. That's been my thought as well. Sight alignment might be fine but a wanked shot could turn into something catastrophic.

**I admit to doing "downrange drills" in the past with a very select group of people in non-competition training scenarios, and would again with folks of similar skills and focus. I know that flies all in the face of reason for what we do in USPSA but that wasn't the same environment. At a USPSA match where I can't control the participants, I'd be much more comfortable having the CoF moved downrange to avoid even the possibility of an errant shot finding an observer as a backstop.

This stage was very safe. Also, both ROs working this stage were National level ROs. The stage was setup about 10 to 12 yards into the shooting bay. The video is giving you the wrong impression. Knowing the match staff an unsafe stage would've never being allowed. My 2cs.

Good match BTW!

DVC,

Sandro

The point of an illusion is that it is fooling you...

If you say "I don't care about any illusion." then you are totally falling for any illusion that may exist. Without being presented with additional information, the mind tends to normalize visual information and adjust it to meet your expectations. Ever watch a normal TV show in wide-screen mode? If you switch back and forth, it is obvious that everyone is stretched and distorted. However, if you ONLY see the wide-screen stretched mode, many people never notice the distortion. Their brains simply adjust.

Same thing is happening here. From the photo, you can't tell how far back those people really are standing.

Do these pics look different:

post-985-081784400 1288722377_thumb.jpg

post-985-009932500 1288722391_thumb.jpg

I was a photog for 8 years, I know what aspect ratios are and the distortion caused by wide angle or fisheye lens. I have shot with them enough to know what the picture was like with no distortions. I'm not here to argue. I also have a program that can take a fisheye shot or any other lens and straighten it out so you can see what the full shot was.

What I am saying is that this stage could have been made safer without changed it significantly. I am not throwing rocks at the guys either... once you have actually done one of these things, you are have a lot more understanding and keep your mouth shut most of the time. It's easy to sit back and judge something second hand and make suggestions. As I said earlier in the post, we had something at A5 which was much the same. I was aware of it, but didn't have a solution. Next time we run one there I will, or we won't have a stage there.

This is the last I have to say on it as I don't want to make an entire match about one stage that may have been made a little safer.

Best,

JT

Edited by JThompson

If you say "I don't care about any illusion." then you are totally falling for any illusion that may exist. Without being presented with additional information, the mind tends to normalize visual information and adjust it to meet your expectations. Ever watch a normal TV show in wide-screen mode? If you switch back and forth, it is obvious that everyone is stretched and distorted. However, if you ONLY see the wide-screen stretched mode, many people never notice the distortion. Their brains simply adjust.

Same thing is happening here. From the photo, you can't tell how far back those people really are standing.

i get your point. but think about this. would you say it's safe to have those same bodies direcly within a bermed range, downrange like that? i think not.

i get your point. but think about this. would you say it's safe to have those same bodies direcly within a bermed range, downrange like that? i think not.

The spectators in the video were anything but "downrange." From the location that everyone started, including this shooter, the angle from the centerline of the stage to both the far left (take a look at the start of the video) and far right targets was about 75 degrees. The spectators were at least 20 degrees behind the 180 from that point.

Once again, it is the wide angle hat cam lens that is distorting the apparent perspective. If you were not at the match, I fail to see how you can have an informed opinion about the stage geometry.

Edited by XD Niner