Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need an 8 shot to be competive

A couple of years aago Angus Hubdel proved you don't need an 8 shot in ICORE, winning the limited division with his stock 625. Angus told me since all stages are six round neutral the only reason for an 8 shot is if you miss. You would be faster to just hit everything with one shot instead of having makeup shots.

It's nice to have extra shots so you can push the limit but Angus proved it's not needed.

Is a 625 competitive, or does a 6 shot just get killed in ICORE.

A good shooter with a 6 shot won"t get killed in ICORE. Some course discriptions will limit you to 6 rounds, and some are best just shot straight up. However, a good shooter with an 8 shot will find a way to take advantage of the 2 extra rounds. After a match, most of my moon clips have 8 empty cases. That being said, shoot what you've got. Berry's 185 HBRN and Clays make a good ICORE load. Richard

I have only shot the IRC once--in 2007. I used a 5" 625. I finished 5th Limited out of 106, and if it weren't for the Near and Far Standards stage (which strongly benefits those who have the facility and time to practice it repeatedly and "groove it in"), I would have been 2nd Limited behind Nils. Botttom line--a 6-round revolver in good hands can be entirely competitive in ICORE!

I tried 2009 ICORE Postal Match in Limited (646 6 shot 40SW) and Open (627 8 shot 38SC), I found a lot more difficulties expelling moonclips with 2 live rounds than the ones with only spent cases.

I think a 6 shot is better when the COF is 6 neutral; 8 times is nice in Steel Challenge where reloading time is not an item.

As of about a year ago, ICORE created a third division (in addition to Open and Limited) now called Classic (it was originally called "Retro") was created for 6 shot revolvers, though you must use speedloaders (moon clipped 6 shooters would compete in Limited).

NO need for an 8 shot IF you don't miss.

see these results.

http://icore.org/archive/2010/SouthernRegionalResults2010.html

(6th overall) I was using a 25-2 shooting my normal USPSA major loads as I didn't have time to make some whimpy loads.

And:

http://icore.org/archive/2010/CentralRegionalResults2010.html

(1st Overall)(still using "major" ammo here too)

( I was using a different 25-2 ) gotta swap up so they don't get lonely ;)

Hop

Edited by hopalong

• 2 months later...

I shot the match one year with an 8 shot and finished 10 places worse than when I shot my 6 shooter.. though I think it has more to do with familiarity and the fact that a 5" 627 is just a tad snappier than a 6.5" 610 shooting the same power factor.. The longer sight radius of the 6.5 I feel is an advantage with near & far.. I will continue to use my 610 for limited.

I haven't really practiced with my 8-shot so I'll have to see what the reload difference is, but I would guess that it's enough to offset at least one entire extra reload, if not two or three, in the course of a major match. I haven't shot a big ICORE match yet, but then I've never lost a local one either with my 625 and 175pf loads. The dot sight in Open would be nice, otherwise I think it would be down my list of important bits.

H.

As Richard Koester and Az Shooter alluded to there is no significant advantage over a 6 shot with an 8 shot. There may be one or two stages where you may be able to gain one tenth to one half a second because of steel, but the overall match is fairly equal. There is plenty of movement required to negate reloads and many different areas where you may engage any one target. the 8 shot may let you see the edge and come back from a melt down but then the steady 6 shot will prevail shooting smoothly and quick. It's the shooter "again" :sight: later rdd

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I think so ! It's nice to be able to make up shots when needed, especially at the end of a stage, where you can't reload on the move anyways. It's better to have extra rounds and not need them, than need them and not have them.

If 6 were better than 8, all the top shooters would be using them.

In theory, ICORE is supposed to be 6 shot neautral.

8 gives you more options, including misfires.

If you want to shoot 6 shots, Retro/Classic.

If you want to shoot 6 shots, Retro/Classic

or Limited

I don't have a problem being competitive with my 6 shot 686, in fact I just sold my 627 V8 because I do better with my 686 .

Shoot what works best for you, not what top shooters use, because they are at the top more for talent and hard work, than the gun they use.

In ICORE if you start missing or even dropping out of the "A" you start adding time fast.

Learn to shoot for "A" {easer said than done for most} and not add to the time. You will be surprised how well you will place.

Brent

I also noticed that when I shoot my 8 shooter in limited... a certain someone can pretty much beat ME every time.. but when I switch back to my 6 shooter I can beat HIM every time.. I believe the idea of the extra shot is actually a bad thing.. if you are taking extra shots, you are being sloppy and not making your shots count. In ICORE, time and accuracy the first time is everything. If you NEED to take extra shots and you NEED those two extra, then you aren't paying enough attention the first time to make your shots count.

I can reload my 610 faster than my 627. Over the course of 12 stages, needing an extra shot once or twice is overshadowed by the saved 1/2 second per reload over the course of 300-400 rounds fired.. if you fire 300 rounds, that is a minimum of 50 reloads.. 50 x 1/2 second is 25 seconds saved... if I need one or two reloads extra over the course of 12 stages, what's 5 seconds worth of reloads compared to saving 25 seconds overall? To me, not worth it.

Obviously that's a 300 round string, so it's likely not really 25 seconds, more like 20 seconds saved, but compared to two reloads I may or may not have to make, it is still better for me to use the 610 than the 627.. as usual, ymmv.. :)

Did you ever notice the older I get the better I USED to be. At what is now called area 2, back before Revo Division' we shot for high revo in a match. In USPSA I was shooting against the 8 shot revos with my friends tricked out L frame 6 shot. After three days of shooting, I got beat by 9 points. I could have picked up 9 points if I did not have a mental error or two and that was with the mind set of at least 8 shots per shooting position but they could be picked up at different spots in the stage. Kirby won the plague and a good prize. I won a free entry to the IRC, Maybe the third or fourth IRC and I was going anyway. Shoot what you got and have some fun. I shoot an 8 shot now and push harder and still find the edge, when it is behind me. :surprise: later rdd

"I believe the idea of the extra shot is actually a bad thing.. if you are taking extra shots, you are being sloppy and not making your shots count. In ICORE, time and accuracy the first time is everything. If you NEED to take extra shots and you NEED those two extra, then you aren't paying enough attention the first time to make your shots count"

+1

Vince, pretty much the conclusion I've come to also